Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 12:39 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Today he is. People can be anything they want on c-d. Shapeshifters! Lol
Especially if they stayed at a Holiday Inn the night before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 12:40 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
It could be the contractor, General Atomics, has a very effective lobbyist? Much of our Defense (?) spending is decided on which contractor or Congressional District need the money. Why do you think Navy shipbuilding was moved to Mississippi and other southern locations?

I am concerned that the defensive capability of our Carrier groups may be overestimated.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:43 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It could be the contractor, General Atomics, has a very effective lobbyist? Much of our Defense (?) spending is decided on which contractor or Congressional District need the money. Why do you think Navy shipbuilding was moved to Alabama and other southern locations?
Our shipbuilding is diversified. Rather than have one or two yards building, we have several from Maine to the Gulf coast. Some build amphibs while two build submarines and one builds carriers and others destroyers.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:44 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Al new technologies have teething issues. I would wait on this decision until it has to be made. The benefits of the electric launch system are too large to throw away in advance.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:46 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I agree. Until new technology has been proven to be superior (which this hasn't) it shouldn't be used. This sounds like a decision made by the Obama administration without regard to recommendations of military experts familiar with the systems.
Have anything factual to support that statement?

Old 05-12-2017, 12:47 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Al new technologies have teething issues. I would wait on this decision until it has to be made. The benefits of the electric launch system are too large to throw away in advance.
Not being thrown away. The Ford has the new system but it is twitchy. Better to have the bugs worked out before putting lives and aircraft at risk.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:51 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
The new system has many advantages over the old. Including the fact that a steam catapult has problems launching lightweight vehicles. The best way to work out technology issues is to work them on - and IMO it might as well be worked out now on a live system while the US is not at war and while there are many carriers in service as backup with steam catapults that can be used while the kinks are worked out of the new technology.

Basically, you can try to fix the old technology that is bulky and expensive, or fix the new system that is smaller and more versatile. I would choose the latter.

US Navy Readying Electro-Magnetic Launch for New Carriers Which Will Also be Ready for New Lasers and Railguns Later | NextBigFuture.com

Old 05-12-2017, 12:53 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Not being thrown away. The Ford has the new system but it is twitchy. Better to have the bugs worked out before putting lives and aircraft at risk.
I'm surprised they're testing on a ship, I though the Navy had a facility at Lakehurst NJ capable of testing these things?

Old 05-12-2017, 02:54 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The new system has many advantages over the old. Including the fact that a steam catapult has problems launching lightweight vehicles. The best way to work out technology issues is to work them on - and IMO it might as well be worked out now on a live system while the US is not at war and while there are many carriers in service as backup with steam catapults that can be used while the kinks are worked out of the new technology.

Basically, you can try to fix the old technology that is bulky and expensive, or fix the new system that is smaller and more versatile. I would choose the latter.

US Navy Readying Electro-Magnetic Launch for New Carriers Which Will Also be Ready for New Lasers and Railguns Later | NextBigFuture.com
I wouldnt want to live test such systems with pilots in the planes until it has been fully tested on a shore facility on a variety of aircraft weight. Not enough force and the jet hits the water. Too much force and it could rip off parts of the jet. Inconsistent force in too high a range would make it unreliable. And the shore testing facility should be near saltwater and receive occasional artificial saltwater showers I addition to the real showers. Test the system through the same amount of launches as a normal 6 month deployment followed by a month or two of down time maintenance and inspections of the system before doing another 6 month type deployment testing. If after a minimum of 5 years of consistent and reliable testing like this then consider building the system into a new carrier.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:40 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

Old tech...

EMALS uses a linear induction motor from around 1947-49, I remember discussing these with Eric Laithwaite in the 80's for a school project, he was mostly retired but still at Imperial College and I hadn't left high school at the time. That's pretty old tech in fact older tech than the standard steam cats used on current CATOBAR systems that date from the 50s.

So if they can't get this working by now either they're incompetent, or ripping off the tax payer, either one has the same potential for accuracy.

Further there may be advantages, but, are those advantages significant enough to delay deployment of new equipment? If your carrier cats don't work, you've just got a floating gin palace with lots of tarmac for tennis and basketball courts. It's certainly not going to function as designed nor fulfill it's operational requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies