Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 05:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Especially if they stayed at a Holiday Inn the night before.
only if it was a holiday inn express.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm surprised they're testing on a ship, I though the Navy had a facility at Lakehurst NJ capable of testing these things?
chances are the navy did in fact test it at lakehurst, or other facility. and they may have felt that it was ready for sea trials, or would be when the ford was ready for launch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 06:49 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
EMALS are to be used only on Ford class carriers.

Nimitz class carriers reactors are not capable of producing the electric power necessary.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:02 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wouldnt want to live test such systems with pilots in the planes until it has been fully tested on a shore facility on a variety of aircraft weight. Not enough force and the jet hits the water. Too much force and it could rip off parts of the jet. Inconsistent force in too high a range would make it unreliable. And the shore testing facility should be near saltwater and receive occasional artificial saltwater showers I addition to the real showers. Test the system through the same amount of launches as a normal 6 month deployment followed by a month or two of down time maintenance and inspections of the system before doing another 6 month type deployment testing. If after a minimum of 5 years of consistent and reliable testing like this then consider building the system into a new carrier.
Do you think there is a lot of military tech that goes through five years of successful testing before being implemented? Or do you think the military set testing goals and then THEY decide when it is time to deploy a new technology?

Old 05-13-2017, 10:33 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I agree. Until new technology has been proven to be superior (which this hasn't) it shouldn't be used. This sounds like a decision made by the Obama administration without regard to recommendations of military experts familiar with the systems.
Still wondering when you're going to make your first post that sounds as though you actually have a clue what you're talking about. The Gerald R. Ford was begun in 2005, during the W Administration. About 6 months after Obama was elected Senator from Illinois.

You ever hear of this thing called "google", or do you actually enjoy humiliating yourself on a daily basis?

Conservatives....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have to wonder what the libs would have said if obama said teh same thing trump did about the EMALS launch system.
Mmmmm.... I think the whole point of the thread is that Obama never would have said something so stupid in the first place. So what's your point?

Old 05-13-2017, 10:38 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The EMALS system requires a lot of electrical energy, so much so, that Nimtz class nuclear powered carriers do not generate enough power for them to operate.

Steam catapults are extremely reliable, but the current versions cannot launch small drones.

BTW, the catapult does not use a cable to launch aircraft, your talking about recovery during landing.
You beat me to it!

Steam systems are very very reliable. Also, analog systems aren't as susceptible to a electromagnetic pulse attack which could leave even a hardened digital system vulnerable.

Wouldn't they still need to use a cable trap for landings? If so, and I'm fairly sure this is a fact, the entire premise of the thread is rendered moot.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The new electronic system is having serious issues, and last I heard, was still not working properly, even with the new carrier about to go into sea trials.

As the other poster said, you are confusing the arresting system with the launching system.

The new electronic arresting system still uses cables to catch the arresting hook on the plane.

You are criticizing Trump over something your don't have the slightest clue of what you are talking about.
With about 1000 successful launches, what are all these "serious problems?" Do they extend past an idiot president making comments about a system he is not qualified to judge?

Where did you find this list of problems? I'd like to see what professionals are saying.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:41 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Stay with what works. Is the OP a deck handler?
The more important question is: Is Trump a deck handler?

What made him the leading expert on Naval aircraft recovery?

After all- ABS has been a standard on American cars for a long time now, and it's nothing but computer-controlled application of a car's breaks.
The hydraulic cable system on a carrier is different, but not that much different. Trump should allow the Navy to build to what is best for combat and reliability and stay out of the technical stuff he knows doodley-squat about.

But he won't. Everything has to be about him 24/7, and he doesn't care if he knows anything or not. He shoots his mouth off too much and shuts down his brain whenever he does.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:33 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
No, I was questioning Trump because of his quote. He sounded like he didnt know a damned thing about the new system and was making a knee jerk reaction without knowing what he's talking about. If he's

As far as the comment on the retaining wire, that was my error. Do you know if EMAL uses a conventional recovery system?

It's been about 44 years since I served on a carrier, but I can still remember trying to go to sleep in my rack during launches for night ops in the Gulf of Tonkin.

Click, click,,, click click BAM and then everything shakes.

Wait a few minutes and repeat.
During one carrier work up, I was birthed right under the three wire. The loud landings and screeching as the tension was applied as the planes caught the wire was insane. I thought, "how the hell will I ever get any sleep." Two days later it dawned on me that I had been sleeping like a log thru it all. LOL

Old 05-13-2017, 05:40 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The more important question is: Is Trump a deck handler?

What made him the leading expert on Naval aircraft recovery?

After all- ABS has been a standard on American cars for a long time now, and it's nothing but computer-controlled application of a car's breaks.
The hydraulic cable system on a carrier is different, but not that much different. Trump should allow the Navy to build to what is best for combat and reliability and stay out of the technical stuff he knows doodley-squat about.

But he won't. Everything has to be about him 24/7, and he doesn't care if he knows anything or not. He shoots his mouth off too much and shuts down his brain whenever he does.
I'm sure the experts explain new systems under development to any president, bureaucrat, or politician, giving them all the pros and cons. I would not expect anyone who has never served on a carrier to know much at all about how the system works, or how the trials of a new system are performing.

But excuse me, you just wanted to talk like an ass and disrespect the president. I'll let you get back to hating him again and posting your ignorant comments.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You beat me to it!

Steam systems are very very reliable. Also, analog systems aren't as susceptible to a electromagnetic pulse attack which could leave even a hardened digital system vulnerable.

Wouldn't they still need to use a cable trap for landings? If so, and I'm fairly sure this is a fact, the entire premise of the thread is rendered moot.
https://news.usni.org/2016/05/24/19801
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies