Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:22 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I don't care which one it is as long as it is at least ONE of them. Apparently each parent working 2 jobs is the new norm? How you expect kids to be normal with, effectively, no parents?
Yeah; actually most of them do turn out 'normal'.

2 jobs is pretty normal.

I got lucky with a 'work from home' job when my son was younger and then again when he needed driven all over God's creation for this practice or that meet.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That's amazing given what little time, over the years, fathers have actually spent with their children.
Absolutely. Why do you think America is so screwed up now? Lack of involved fathers with society's preconceived notion that fathers aren't important, as part to blame.

The lack of a father (or father figure) in the household is extremely detrimental to children and leads to a higher risk of social issues down the line. High school droupout, crime, teen pregnant, low education achievement, personality disorder, etc.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:24 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Absolutely. Why do you think America is so screwed up now? Lack of involved fathers with society's preconceived notion that fathers aren't important, as part to blame.

The lack of a father (or father figure) in the household is extremely detrimental to children and leads to a higher risk of social issues down the line. High school droupout, crime, teen pregnant, low education achievement, personality disorder, etc.

Its been my experience that fathers these days are much more involved than they have been in previous generations.

I grew up in the 60/70's in your typical two parent, father breadwinner-mother homemaker family. My father spent little time with us kids much less doing any actual parenting. Today I see very involved fathers and SAHFs that actually care for their child's physical needs like changing diapers, feeding, bathing as well as educational needs and other activities.

Yes we do have a problem with absent fathers and single parent homes. It is difficult to raise children solo especially if you don't have another support system, but today when dad is there he is there much more so than in the past.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:51 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
My Uncle married and had my Cousin later in life back in the early 60's. His wife made far more money that he did, so he quit working to stay home with his son. Very unusual back then.

I don't think Uncle ever expected to become a Dad. I'm 15 years older than my Cousin so I well remember Uncle constantly talking about his "beautiful boy". He liked cooking and taught his son to cook. Gotten many a good recipe from my Cousin. He was devastated when his Dad passed away.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:03 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
According to opinions i ve been reading in other threads in this forum, it seems that people here seem to assume WOMEN are responsible for raising kids for the most part. They might have a job or work few hours but they expect them to do the most part of the raising. They assume its gonna be like that. I get it, this is a highly conservative forum, and those are for the traditional values of family, etc.

But if you think like that, can you justify it? Is it from a biological point of view? Purely social? Why?
Feminism has come to mean equality on the job but feminist left one important part out of their fight for equality, equality in caring for the children and the home. Think about it, if you have the majority of the responsibility at home and with the kids how can you do a good job at work and rise through the ranks. You'd be too tired. I started a thread asking feminist (both male and female) about this but it went ignored.

For some reason feminist who are vocal want to ignore the inequality at home, that's not gender equality, that's convenient gender equality.

//www.city-data.com/forum/great...ty-gender.html

Old 05-03-2018, 10:06 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Yes, it has been that way in nature for millions of years. Mothers are more nurturing due to instinct. That's not to say that men can't help, but the primary role holder should be the mother.
Simple, to the point and absolutely correct. Even in a two income family you will find the woman to take on most of the nurturing roles even if the man does more of the household chores. Men are not good at nurturing and raising babies. Feeding, dealing with illness, bathing and diapering are all done best with the gentle loving hand of a mother. The role of men increases with time. Typically it is men who push for and teach thier kids to be less dependent on mom and to be independent. They tend to become the anti mom in a way. It is fathers who encourage kids to do things independently, to defend and stand up for themselves, fix things and prepare for life. These two opposing roles seem at odds but they are not, IMO they are complimentary. Both are very necessary at the right time, even if they cause marital friction.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Feminism has come to mean equality on the job but feminist left one important part out of their fight for equality, equality in caring for the children and the home. Think about it, if you have the majority of the responsibility at home and with the kids how can you do a good job at work and rise through the ranks. You'd be too tired. I started a thread asking feminist (both male and female) about this but it went ignored.

For some reason feminist who are vocal want to ignore the inequality at home, that's not gender equality, that's convenient gender equality.

//www.city-data.com/forum/great...ty-gender.html
People want to assume all girls grow up to marry prince charming who provides financially, treats them with like a princess and is a great father, and would never leave them or die. In reality some women don't marry and certainly not right out of school. Yeah those women need to be able to support themselves, have their own credit and buy a house. Some women don't have children and would like to pursue their career aspirations and not be restricted to teacher, nurse or secretary. Some women find themselves in abusive relationships, some are abandoned with mouths to feed.

If your married you have a mate, the other parent to your children who can share in the responsibility of home and kids. If all that responsibility is on you at least you have equal opportunity and equal pay to support yourself and kids.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Simple, to the point and absolutely correct. Even in a two income family you will find the woman to take on most of the nurturing roles even if the man does more of the household chores. Men are not good at nurturing and raising babies. Feeding, dealing with illness, bathing and diapering are all done best with the gentle loving hand of a mother. The role of men increases with time. Typically it is men who push for and teach thier kids to be less dependent on mom and to be independent. They tend to become the anti mom in a way. It is fathers who encourage kids to do things independently, to defend and stand up for themselves, fix things and prepare for life. These two opposing roles seem at odds but they are not, IMO they are complimentary. Both are very necessary at the right time, even if they cause marital friction.

That sounds like an old TV sitcom, Leave it to Beaver, maybe.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:22 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You are out of your mind. Many men are more nurturing than women.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You are out of your mind. Many men are more nurturing than women.
I really did expect to catch a lot of flack for what I posted, I expect more is coming. Still....10000 years of human history is on my side. The 20 years of so called “progressive” attitudes are a major anomaly in the history of gender roles. Also worth noting is the reports of marriage rates among millenials is in free fall. Possibly this is because of all this social engineering regarding the roles of men and women. I am not saying women shouldn’t work, nor am I making a case for sexism but pointing out what thought was common knowledge (at least it used to be). Women and men are different and they are good at different things. It should be a complementary relationship but we have messed all that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies