Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 02:27 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Do I believe that ALL white writers should be accused of cultural misappropriation, of course not. Do I believe that cultural misappropriation exists, yes. Extreme SJW's on the left might claim that almost anything could be prejudiced in some way against minorities. SJW's on the right might claim either racism doesn't exist against minorities, or that whites are being discriminated against in every context.
Could you give a definition and/or example of "cultural misappropriation"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 02:47 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Wow, I had completely missed this new frontier in social justice. Apparently white authors may no longer create fictional characters that are non-white. And this is already a settled matter, to the point that people who disagree are in danger of losing their jobs.

How many great stories would never have been written if this rule was in force?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/a...pgtype=article
It must be a Canadian thing.

Racial and cultural divisions exist there, but the Canadians confront those divisions in different ways than Americans do.

But fiction is fiction. There's no way a fiction writer won't ever stop writing his characters as he pleases, even if he gets them completely divorced from reality.

That's what the author of the article was attempting to say. He failed to phrase it well, and that's the problem. The indigenous people in Canada see a lot of things differently than ours do here, and they have struggles with their government that ours don't have. Different countries, different problems.

A lot of American politicians have had the same exact problem lately in town hall meetings. And in the White House and Congress. As we all know, an ill-chosen word or phrase can bring a person to ruin.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:18 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
SJW lunacy still trying to reach new heights of insanity.

Sadly they seem to surpass their previous idiocy.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:10 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Mooch gave him permission to write it.
That is really rude, and ads nothing constructive to the discussion.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
True.

Do you personally agree with the folks saying this though?
I realize you were not asking me, but I would like to address your question, anyway, if I may.

The truth is, I'm not sure. Sometimes?

Writing, creating a convincing character is hard. Taking on the identity of another race, gender, or culture is even harder. Some authors are able to do it well. Many are not, and fall into the use of easy stereotypes or stock characters.

I think to write a believable portrayal of someone from a different background requires great sensitivity, lots of listening, empathy, and enormous skill. Some people can do it. Lots can't.

Please keep in mind that this whole discussion is about protagonists, the main characters, the ones whose heads and world the author is attempting to illustrate in a far more intimate way than that of any secondary character. It is one thing to write about a character as an observer, and quite another to write as the one who is that character's voice.

FWIW, the comments comparing this question to writing about fictional creatures and animals is absurd. When you create a species in a book, it can be whatever you want it to be. Are some of you deliberately missing the point here, to make the whole discussion appear silly?

Old 05-13-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I realize you were not asking me, but I would like to address your question, anyway, if I may.

The truth is, I'm not sure. Sometimes?

Writing, creating a convincing character is hard. Taking on the identity of another race, gender, or culture is even harder. Some authors are able to do it well. Many are not, and fall into the use of easy stereotypes or stock characters.

I think to write a believable portrayal of someone from a different background requires great sensitivity, lots of listening, empathy, and enormous skill. Some people can do it. Lots can't.

Please keep in mind that this whole discussion is about protagonists, the main characters, the ones whose heads and world the author is attempting to illustrate in a far more intimate way than that of any secondary character. It is one thing to write about a character as an observer, and quite another to write as the one who is that character's voice.

FWIW, the comments comparing this question to writing about fictional creatures and animals is absurd. When you create a species in a book, it can be whatever you want it to be. Are some of you deliberately missing the point here, to make the whole discussion appear silly?
It's art. It's never "wrong".

Write whatever you want.

This was a group exercising their right to an opinion. That's fine and I understand it.

Doesn't mean others (including myself) won't mock them for being retarded.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That is really rude, and ads nothing constructive to the discussion.
There's nothing constructive in what this group is saying so I'm just trying to keep up.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
There is no such thing as cultural appropriation.

There's only Cool Appropriation. And we all do it.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
It's art. It's never "wrong".

Write whatever you want.

This was a group exercising their right to an opinion. That's fine and I understand it.

Doesn't mean others (including myself) won't mock them for being retarded.
Thanks for your thoughtful response to an honest answer. -_-

Old 05-13-2017, 04:39 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Cultural appropriation assertions are divisive. Minorities who assert such nonsense are the biggest appropriators of cultural appropriation if they live in America, which was founded by white men and is still a majority of white men and women.

We don't have to go there. Why not share cultures and concentrate on the things we share in common and be happy for everyone's contributions to this country? Why make a fight about everything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies