Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 07:14 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times

Advertisements

Definition of terms:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/multiculturalism/

Multi-culturalism: Proponents of multiculturalism....hold an ideal in which members of minority groups can maintain their distinctive collective identities and practices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting_pot

Melting pot:The melting pot is a metaphor for a heterogeneous society becoming more homogeneous, the different elements "melting together" into a harmonious whole with a common culture.....

I agree with Dr. Yarbrough of Bowdoin College.

“Diversity works best when we have a policy of serious assimilation. I am not a multiculturalist.

You have different cultures that live next to each other, and they hate each other. They don’t understand each other. [In the US,] I think you should learn to speak English, I think you should be assimilated into American ways and traditions.

In recent years, we have simply given up on that. Multiculturalism has been the order of the day for some time now, and I think it has seriously exacerbated tensions among different immigrant and religious groups in this country.”

Professor Jean Yarbrough: ‘How I Became a Conservative’ | Bowdoin News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Definition of terms:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/multiculturalism/

Multi-culturalism: Proponents of multiculturalism....hold an ideal in which members of minority groups can maintain their distinctive collective identities and practices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting_pot

Melting pot:The melting pot is a metaphor for a heterogeneous society becoming more homogeneous, the different elements "melting together" into a harmonious whole with a common culture.....

I agree with Dr. Yarbrough of Bowdoin College.

“Diversity works best when we have a policy of serious assimilation. I am not a multiculturalist.

You have different cultures that live next to each other, and they hate each other. They don’t understand each other. [In the US,] I think you should learn to speak English, I think you should be assimilated into American ways and traditions.

In recent years, we have simply given up on that. Multiculturalism has been the order of the day for some time now, and I think it has seriously exacerbated tensions among different immigrant and religious groups in this country.”

Professor Jean Yarbrough: ‘How I Became a Conservative’ | Bowdoin News

The problem with our "melting pot" has always been the resistance to "melt together," which was usually fuelded by the status quo not wanting to change at all.

If we truly "melted together," the melting pot would be functioning as it should.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Multiculturalism. We've lived with it for over two centuries now, starting when different ethnic groups built their own churches, schools, neighborhoods, etc.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Multiculturalism. We've lived with it for over two centuries now, starting when different ethnic groups built their own churches, schools, neighborhoods, etc.
Exactly.

What are Chinatowns in NYC and San Francisco, Little Italy also in NYC, Fredericksburg, TX and the like, if not examples of multiculturalism?

Should those places and others like them be subsumed and assimilated in some Borg-like fashion into what people believe American culture should be?

What would that look like exactly?

Old 04-21-2017, 07:52 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Multiculturalism is good for the top 1%, because it divides the bottom 99% along ethnic, racial, and religious lines. Divide and conquer.

Anyone want to guess which ideology (multiculturalism or melting pot) will be promoted by the elites in business, academic, and media?

Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 AM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Exactly.

What are Chinatowns in NYC and San Francisco, Little Italy also in NYC, Fredericksburg, TX and the like, if not examples of multiculturalism?

Should those places and others like them be subsumed and assimilated in some Borg-like fashion into what people believe American culture should be?

We have an identifying culture and language so no, we are not multi-cultural per se. Those towns you mention are just ethnic business neighborhoods. Nothing wrong with that but out in mainstream the melting pot should be embraced not separatism.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Exactly.

More than 2/3rds of Chinese Americans don't live in Chinatown SF or Manhattan. The majority of Chinese American have assimilated.

Little Italy is down to one street of restaurants in Manhattan. It is no longer there. Italian Americans and their descendants have assimilated.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,397,212 times
Melting Pot. Some cultures are pure garbage and since we have developed our own culture, either assimilate or get out.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
More than 2/3rds of Chinese Americans don't live in Chinatown SF or Manhattan. The majority of Chinese American have assimilated.

Little Italy is down to one street of restaurants in Manhattan. It is no longer there. Italians have assimilated.
What is assimilation?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:

Little Italy is down to one street of restaurants in Manhattan. It is no longer there. Italian Americans and their descendants have assimilated.
And so have Puerto Ricans who were born and raised stateside. They all do, eventually. You just have very short term thinking individuals that can't see past their own generation and think nobody is assimilating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies