Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times

Advertisements

My kitchen pantry has the highest income in my estate, as measured on a per-canned-good basis.

But that's where I have chosen to keep canned goods, and everything else has to fight for space in that area.

I am trying to say, you cannot treat New York City-- or Washington D.C.-- on similar measures. Like it or not, those places are home to two very specific industries that are literally printing money. Those particular industries are two of the titanic arms of machinery that literally move our $18 trillion economy.

NYC is what we call a "statistical outlier", is what I am saying, and anyone who took the OP's article at face value needs some rudimentary stats knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 09:25 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
LOL

"most New Yorkers or ex NYers have left or plan to leave" - that must be why NYC's population is GROWING eh?

Ken
Alot of people are leaving or are wanting to leave upstate NY. Property, School, State income, and sales tax plus wanting to live in a free state where their firearms don't have to be registered or neutered to follow in accordance to the safe act, or risk a felony charge greater than a child molester. Priorities. NY, well cuomos, are backwards... (Wonder what kind of tax hike is coming for free SUNY tuition and the new proposal for heroin safe spaces to shoot up in front of med staff to prevent ODs)

My high-school and college friends always hit me up on Facebook asking what Florida is like and telling me how out of control NY is becomming... some actually went south after graduating college.

NYC has the following going for it.
Med school.
Graphics design.
Stock market.
The ability to grab a dirty water dog at 2am.
Crowded and congested streets.
Overpriced housing.
No where to park unless you feel like paying through the nose...
But there is paid firefighters. Upstate is mostly volunteer outfits.

Just like we saw with Clinton's intentions pertaining to the 2A, outside of the boroughs and long Island, ALOT of people do not want to depend on police to safe guard their life or property. To put into perspective... the cityiots got on the town board and had a vote to remove the local PD, they voted out the PD, closest state troopers barracks was a 45 minute drive, sheriff's barracks was a half hour drive...

I had an attempted home invasion by 2 junkies. One had a pistol in his hand. Long story short my ex woke me up hearing people talking about breaking in. This was right after the safe act was passed and my evil rifles went missing in a tragic boating accident, I met them at the front door with a 12 gauge. They called the state police on me.

It occurred at 2 in the morning. 330 or so the troopers were pounding on my door with all their lights on... I almost went to jail, thankfully she listened and called the sheriffs who put the situation in check, and got a search warrant for their house. They found a Sig Sauer BB pistol hidden behind a washing machine. They don't have an orange muzzle indicating a toy, and are identical to the real deal right down to weight.

The state police advised me it wasn't my job to protect my life or property. That's their job. The sheriffs told me if I was charged with felony menacing for brandishing, I would stand a fair but long, drawn out expensive trial with a 60/40 chance of the charges being dropped. But since I did not exit the house or pursue them when they ran, they couldn't see how I could be charged.
Thank God for that. The sheriffs had also told me the guy who had the pistol, had warrants for skipped court appearances and failure to meet with his drug counsellor or something to that affect and was in custody by the state troopers.

NY is also a may issue state, and I was denied 3 times for a pistol permit. No criminal history. I didn't have a just enough cause to carry concealed.

Here in tropical America it's not ADT burglars have to worry about... it's the home owner... upstate New Yorkers are not okay having to rely on police services when the response time is 10-15 minutes or longer. In my case was over an hour. And I didn't call them. I'm a big boy. I can handle someone wielding a knife or gun. I don't need the boys in blue to cry to.
Why would you want to perpetuate the heroin problem, which is so toxic for one's health and lethally addictive with safe spaces to shoot up? Then remove the individuals right to protect property and life? That isnt freedom. Addicts will steal anything that isn't bolted down, locked up, or protected. I've seen it when I was a kid in Poughkeepsie. I've seen it throughout Columbia County where it spread like a scourge. I've seen it in Saratoga County where it was gaining traction when I left.

And if they get violent from withdrawals... like Crack fiends and coke heads found throughout Troy and Schenectady... watch out. Same with Poughkeepsie too with Marist college students getting mugged outside of the clubs in the heart of Poughkeepsie.
It's just backwards. How anyone can live like that, being dependent upon others for their safety... You have the unalienable right to life liberty and pursuit of happiness and shall not be infringed... why do blue states want dependency and blind obedience pushing their will onto others where it's not welcome?

And before the assumption that it's like the wild west down here, the right to bare comes with a lot of responsibilities. Just because someone stares you down, or calls you a mean word or makes a verbal threat doesn't give just cause to shoot let alone brandish. 790, read it, study it like you would for a test/exam, know it.

There are hefty punishments that come with being foolish. As it should be. Go get caught drinking and have your pistol in your waist band. Better be ready for Bubba being your cuddle buddy for a long time.
Go get caught buying dope with one on you.
Flash it to intimidate.
Use it to rob.
Fire it in a residential area.
Harsh penalties come with being irresponsible or just dumb.
There's not just a high cost of living, there's a restricted level of living in NY that a lot of people are fed up with. Sadly their vote doesn't count due to NYC and Albany...

Old 05-16-2017, 09:38 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
All I know is that my niece and her fiancee are closing on an $80,000 dollar house and he makes $80,000 a year.

Cost of living averages tend to be way higher than median cost of living costs. The rich drag up the cost of living average far above the cost of living median.

One shouldn't compare a cost of living average to household median income. A rich guy who has to spend $300,000 a year to keep up with his bills will skew the average far above what the 58,000 median household earner actually spends.
Wait til a cityiot buys a farm in their town, subdivides it, and start building half million dollar homes in their town. Watch their property assessment shoot up along with their taxes.

Park the maximum allowable unregistered vehicles in the yard, let the outside appearance of the house go to hell, let the grass grow high, trees shrubs and bushes go wild. That's how you beat that. I did that when after adding a front porch to my house suddenly increased the assessment 85k when it cost me 4 50 pound bags of quick-crete, 2k in rough cut lumber a fridge full of beer and a weekend with WGNA and PYX 106 blasting out of my stereo.

Looked like the Clampets lived there on the outside... inside was all hardwood and tile floors, granite counters and back splashes nice furniture, stainless appliances.

Advise them to do that instead of wasting their STAR credit on their first home. Save that for the nice "forever" home if they choose to stay in NY.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:07 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
My kitchen pantry has the highest income in my estate, as measured on a per-canned-good basis.

But that's where I have chosen to keep canned goods, and everything else has to fight for space in that area.

I am trying to say, you cannot treat New York City-- or Washington D.C.-- on similar measures. Like it or not, those places are home to two very specific industries that are literally printing money. Those particular industries are two of the titanic arms of machinery that literally move our $18 trillion economy.

NYC is what we call a "statistical outlier", is what I am saying, and anyone who took the OP's article at face value needs some rudimentary stats knowledge.
The article was referring to the state of New York, not just NYC. I haven't seen anyone put worth any data besides some illogical rants and emotional and mostly illogical arguments. Yes 1-3% in New York are very rich...the average person, not so much.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The article was referring to the state of New York, not just NYC. I haven't seen anyone put worth any data besides some illogical rants and emotional and mostly illogical arguments. Yes 1-3% in New York are very rich...the average person, not so much.
Yes, this was why my metaphor divided one part from the whole.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:31 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

Anyway back to the thread topic, it seems most New Yorkers or ex NYers have left or plan to leave with a few adamantly standing by the advantages offered and cost be damned plus a few poor people that are getting rent control.

Don't get me wrong, I love NYC and would have a $20M+ condo there if I was a billionaire.
If most New Yorkers left it would be a ghost town. Tumbleweeds rolling down Broadway.
For every New Yorker who leaves another enters and takes their place.

Just curious as to why, being on the opposite side of the country in Washington State, you are so interested in New Yorkers?

Old 05-16-2017, 06:54 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
If most New Yorkers left it would be a ghost town. Tumbleweeds rolling down Broadway.
For every New Yorker who leaves another enters and takes their place.

Just curious as to why, being on the opposite side of the country in Washington State, you are so interested in New Yorkers?
I'm interested in everyone the world over....you are not?

My comment on leaving was the New Yorkers that have posted on the thread, not the overall population. It is factual that New York was the most populous state in 1960 and has lost 40% of its population relative to the nation as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies