Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:07 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not only is that NOT the answer, but the American people will never go for privatization. And I don't blame them.

It's no biggie..because the right isn't gonna touch the issue either. And that's a good thing.
They never said a word about it or you just didn't listen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 01:22 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
When Social Security was first introduced, life expectancy was a lot lower than it is today. It only had to cover people for an average of five years. Now, with people living well into their 80s and sometimes 90s, yes, this program is in trouble. Something needs to be done, but considering what Republicans have done to repeal ACA, I wouldn't trust them to revamp Social Security. As it is, we're going to see a lot of older homeless people in the next twenty years if safety nets aren't put into place.
This is nonsense. Men who reach 65 are only living less than 3 years longer and 5 for women. You are using life expectancy years that reflect infant mortality of the 40's.

https://www.ssa.gov/history/lifeexpect.html

The issue is not as much life expectancy as it is a very poor business model. SS has been ran by bureaucrats and public opinion and not by sound financial leadership. And, it can't be ran or fixed by the same. The reality is that it is a failed ponzi scheme ran by Madoffs(congress) with guns.

Most businesses were smart enough to drop the ponzi model and institute private accounts.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
SS is a Ponzi scheme, it is falling for that reason.

BTW, we spend much more on SS than we do on defense.
We SHOULD spend more on SS than defense. That's a good thing.

And until you can show me where SS has failed to pay out to recipients, please miss me with the Ponzi nonsense.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:

And until you can show me where SS has failed to pay out to recipients, please miss me with the Ponzi nonsense.
Put SS in the real world and it was bankrupt decades ago. It has been running hundreds of billions in the red for many years. Congress, like Madoff, has squandered its reserves and is piling debt on future Americans. Give Madoff an army/taxing power and he would still be in business.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:48 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Not only is that NOT the answer, but the American people will never go for privatization. And I don't blame them.

They probaly won't. The American people largely do not have a grasp of basic economics and finance.

The fact is you can now work 40 years and drop dead at 60 and your SS don't do ya much good, and your spouse might get a bit. Under privatization your spouse does much better.

Last edited by whogo; 05-15-2017 at 04:06 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 02:50 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Some of you have the clarity of thought to understand that the Republicans are the enemy of SS and Medicare. Why do so many old people vote against their own interests?

Can I get some of you to email your reps in an effort to save SS?
I've been reading posts like yours for 20 years about how SS is failing. Usually it's tied to some sort of political attack in order to scare old people.

SS isn't going to go away.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:53 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:

Do you know what a Ponzi scheme is?

It is a scheme where you get new investors to pay the old investors.

That is exactly how SS is run.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:06 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Do you know what a Ponzi scheme is?

It is a scheme where you get new investors to pay the old investors.

That is exactly how SS is run.
SS isn't an investment, it's social insurance.

The Society of Actuaries has several good papers explaining the pros\cons of pay-go social insurance platforms as well as an explanation of the components of OASDI.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:10 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

The Society of Actuaries has several good papers explaining the pros\cons of pay-go social insurance platforms as well as an explanation of the components of OASDI.
I know, I didn't say SS was an investment.

I said that SS is run exactly like a Ponzi scheme, in that the people paying in now, are paying the old SS payers.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

The reality is that SS is managed like madoffs ponzi. It is a fact that rates keep going up and it keeps running deficits. It is not reasonable to expect less people, generation to generation, to provide for more people. And, it it criminal to pass massive debts on future Americans. SS is nothing but a cake walk waiting for the music to stop. You just don't want to be the one left standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies