Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 09:14 PM

33,830 posts, read 16,846,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Harm? No.

A failed agenda? Yes.
My feelings exactly. I am liking the vast reduction in power of the Democratic party the last ten years. I simply consider their followers misguided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 09:26 PM

727 posts, read 388,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
If you're an American, do you see a fellow American who has opposing political views to your own as someone you would wish ill will upon?
Americans are puppets of the politicians and the media. The politicians pull their strings and watch them dance. The media creates a controversy and watch them duke it out. All the while the politicians and the media are watching the money pour in. It's like taking candy from a baby.

Americans love to hate each other. It's an addiction. And politicians and the media are the pushers.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:20 PM

72,845 posts, read 62,260,541 times
When it comes to politics, many people look out for #1. It is about the interest of the person. On that arena, distrust looms large.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:16 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,097,932 times
Quote:
If you're an American, do you see a fellow American who has opposing political views to your own as someone you would wish ill will upon?
No way.

If anything, I want the best for everyone, and that's exactly why I hold the political views that I do.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:31 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,548,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
So what. I dealt with discrimination my whole life. I flipped on the jungle gym in grade school in a dress and was sent home because I was a girl and showed my underwear. Girls weren't allowed to wear pants. I was the best quarterback on my neighborhood football team for 10 years, but was relegated to cheerleader for the boys in junior high and high school. I was the first woman hired, in my field, at my company. I was one of three women who graduated at my college in my field out of 600 students. Think all of that was easy to swallow?

I don't hate men. I love them. I changed the system, along with my feminist sisters, by earning my place, not by hating on the men but because I was good at my job.

Blacks are not using the same techniques. The message by black leaders and democrats is hate whites. Earn your place and quit whining!
I guess you can quit worrying about whether or not to change your position on racism, as it seems you already have.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:42 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,548,610 times
My God, some of the responses here make me want to weep.

You don't have to love or like someone to wish them to be safe from harm. There are several people here who make me mad as hell, but I would take no pleasure in learning that they had been hurt or killed, gotten sick, lost a loved one or a livelihood or a home. I can't even imagine that level of hatred, and when I try, it literally makes me feel nauseous.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:47 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,658,493 times
Hate each other? That's funny. Because a friend of mine in England once told me that the Brits hate each other. And I don't think she's crazy about her own.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:55 AM

12,950 posts, read 9,582,683 times
Some people eat, breathe, and sleep politics, and sit in front of the TV watching their favorite news channel all day long. I even see people at the gym who can't stay focus on working out, because they have to stand in front of the TV watching the news every few minutes. I'm thinking like really, can't even take a break from it for an hour or two.

We shouldn't let our politics choose the people in our lives, I know many people do that though. I have friends and coworkers of all political stripes, we all get along just fine. I'm pretty sure most of my neighbors probably vote different from me, but that's fine. I speak and talk to them all the time and we even help each other. Like when the storm blew a tree down in my backyard, they all helped moved it out to the curb, and like when the lady next door husband fell a few times in the middle of the night, she knocked on my door, and I was happy to help her out.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:22 AM

11,914 posts, read 6,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
There were times in the lead up and aftermath of the election when I felt like we could only resolve things with a civil war where one side won a decisive victory. I blame yellow journalism on both sides for a lot of the histrionics.

People need to recognize that liberals and conservatives perform different roles in society that are complementary, not antagonistic. Liberals try out new things and conservatives figure out which new things are bad ideas.

Conservatives need to recognize that change is necessary to survive, and that an unchanging society is a dying society. Liberals need to recognize that most new ideas are bad or unworkable ideas, and some problems are intractable right now and we have to punt on them.
I tend to agree with this except right now liberals have too much of an imbalance of power and influence in this country.
Liberals and their ideology control the vast majority of media and journalists, our complete education system, the courts and judicial system, the entertainment industry and social media. This imbalance of power, influence, and indoctrination is dangerous and unhealthy for our country.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,422,751 times
Quote:

Nope

I see them being fed phony anger, fear, intolerance and them eagerly swallowing it whole. Then they're convinced to vote against their own interests in order to give more privilege to millionaires.

They're very submissive, compliant followers.

It's all self-inflicted.

So amusing.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies