Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:28 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Mutual sexual attraction is important, but unless you're only after a casual date or a quick roll in the hay, it's not enough, on its own, to sustain a relationship over time. Most people are also after conversation, intellectual compatibility, and shared priorities and values. For many, that includes similar political views.
I merely meant that maybe politics has become so polarized that it might be time for me to just tune it out. I'm becoming cynical about politics. It increasingly appears to me that politics is all negativity, and that this negativity is affecting my life out of proportion, particularly since I see no resolution in the present situation.

I'm thinking I may be better off to just not give a damn, and seek intelligent women who have also decided that politics is just too muddled to give a damn.

My god! I absolutely do not date women who are not intellectuals. I'm an intellectual myself and love discussing ideas. And anyway, you need something to talk about before and after sex. For me (and hopefully her) it isn't TV... Or politics.

They say politics makes for strange bedfellows. Maybe it's my time to seek normal bedfellows, apolitical bedfellows. Let the alt-fun pass me by.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
Sure I would. I am smart and I know how to talk politely. I figure if I met a conservative female she would be as equally tactful. We don't have to agree with everything in the world as long as we agree on how to balance our finances, strike a balance between work and play. Plus if the arguing over political issues may lead to great angry sex. Then again I am used to dealing with people outside my own group. I am of mixed race ancestry adopted by Puerto Ricans raised evangelical who became Catholic. I have dated a Pakistani Muslim, Isreali Jewish, girls from India, Guyana, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Vietnam, Syria, agnostics, athiests, feminists. My wife of 19 years is a Democrat like I am now but when we married I was a Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh listener and conservative. We married and diferences only lead to great angry sex.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Plus if the arguing over political issues may lead to great angry sex.
It's strange that "break up" sex is so fantastic. Perhaps having opposing politics would be a great opportunity for more such sex!

Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It's strange that "break up" sex is so fantastic. Perhaps having opposing politics would be a great opportunity for more such sex!
Mind you I been married almost 20 years now. Great sex won't sustain a marriage. Yet, bad sex will destroy a marriage. Successful couples can work thru political diferences and religious diferences if both members realize that they love their imperfect spouse and try not to change them. We can learn from others. If we want to.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:52 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I merely meant that maybe politics has become so polarized that it might be time for me to just tune it out. I'm becoming cynical about politics. It increasingly appears to me that politics is all negativity, and that this negativity is affecting my life out of proportion, particularly since I see no resolution in the present situation.

I'm thinking I may be better off to just not give a damn, and seek intelligent women who have also decided that politics is just too muddled to give a damn.

My god! I absolutely do not date women who are not intellectuals. I'm an intellectual myself and love discussing ideas. And anyway, you need something to talk about before and after sex. For me (and hopefully her) it isn't TV... Or politics.

They say politics makes for strange bedfellows. Maybe it's my time to seek normal bedfellows, apolitical bedfellows. Let the alt-fun pass me by.
If you can tune it out, good for you. I tried, for a few months after the election, but found myself unable to keep it up.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
If you can tune it out, good for you. I tried, for a few months after the election, but found myself unable to keep it up.
Yes, I know it would be difficult for me since I'm a news junkie. Yet...

I have recently vastly reduced my cable TV service, and I'm giving serious consideration to dumping the whole thing except for Internet. Then all I have to do is quit reading C-D's Politics section and there I go!

In any case I have some very time consuming endeavors planned for this summer (writing) and will doubtless be better off without TV sucking the life out of me.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:07 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
I am a moderate, so if I were single, I would date anyone who is also a moderate -- whether they are a moderate Republican, a moderate Democrat, or moderate whatever. It is the extremists of any persuasion that I find hard to tolerate. (For the record, though, I think that anyone who a fan of any of the recent POTUSes is someone I won't like.)

Old 05-19-2017, 12:27 PM

Would that be POTUSii?

Old 05-19-2017, 05:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I am dating a women that doesn't share my political views but I am smart enough not to go there. We have an awesome time talking about shared interests.

Why rock the boat?

My parents had opposing views and often joked they canceled each other out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies