Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 05:40 AM

27,007 posts, read 13,254,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweed22 View Post
We can't mess around in 8 years. I'm hearing Trump may make himself president for life. He's a young 70 year old, lots of energy.

Trump saved the country, and we can't let anyone else screw it up. He shouldn't give up power if things are going well in 2024. I can see him in the White house until his mid 80's.

I saw Bill Maher also believes Trump will be president for life. It could happen. I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

Over the last year, as the presidential campaign grew increasingly bizarre and Donald Trump took us places we had never been before, I saw a spike in media references to Amusing Ourselves to Death, a book written by my late father, Neil Postman, which anticipated back in 1985 so much about what has become of our current public discourse.

At Forbes, one contributor wrote that the book “may help explain the otherwise inexplicable”. CNN noted that Trump’s allegedly shocking “ascent would not have surprised Postman”.

At ChristianPost.com, Richard D Land reflected on reading the book three decades ago and feeling “dumbfounded … by Postman’s prophetic insights into what was then America’s future and is now too often a painful description of America’s present”. Last month, a headline at Paste Magazine asked: “Did Neil Postman Predict the Rise of Trump and Fake News?”

Colleagues and former students of my father, who taught at New York University for more than 40 years and who died in 2003, would now and then email or Facebook message me, after the latest Trumpian theatrics, wondering, “What would Neil think?” or noting glumly, “Your dad nailed it.”

The central argument of Amusing Ourselves is simple: there were two landmark dystopian novels written by brilliant British cultural critics – Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell – and we Americans had mistakenly feared and obsessed over the vision portrayed in the latter book (an information-censoring, movement-restricting, individuality-emaciating state) rather than the former (a technology-sedating, consumption-engorging, instant-gratifying bubble).

The misplaced focus on Orwell was understandable: after all, for decades the cold war had made communism – as embodied by Nineteen Eighty-Four’s Big Brother – the prime existential threat to America and to the greatest of American virtues, freedom. And, to put a bow on it, the actual year, 1984, was fast approaching when my father was writing his book, so we had Orwell’s powerful vision on the brain.

My dad predicted Trump in 1985 – it's not Orwell, he warned, it's Brave New World - The Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

‘Brave New World makes the case that an oppressive, authoritarian dystopia can still be pleasant to live in.’ Aldous Huxley’s 1931 novel is often compared to Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Where the latter shows a dystopia that rules through fear and repression, Brave New World shows an iron fist in a velvet glove.

The population are kept repressed through standard acts of an authoritarian regime, such as control of the media, but also through being kept too happy to rebel.

Soma, an antidepressant hallucinogen, is used by almost everyone to tackle any residual unhappiness, while hypnosis ensures that all members of the society’s caste system are happy and content with their place in society.

Compared to Nineteen Eighty-Four, Brave New World makes the case that an oppressive, authoritarian dystopia can still be pleasant to live in for the vast majority, sparking little mass resistance.

Forget Nineteen Eighty-Four. These five dystopias better reflect Trump’s US - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-14-2017 at 05:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 05:42 AM

1,349 posts, read 660,845 times
Wow, the OP can only be trying at sarcasm (not very good at it either), I guess.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:43 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,828,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Let's see. Liberals say we should impeach Trump on the Emoluments Clause, even though there's no evidence... but we really can't wait according to the left....
All of us? Yee vizz! I had no idea I thought that. Thanks for the heads up. ... well, actually...

Lemme edit that for you:

Quote:
Some liberals say we should impeach Trump on the Emoluments Clause, even though there's no evidence...
Ok, that's better.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:44 AM

12,268 posts, read 6,432,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Let's see. Liberals say we should impeach Trump on the Emoluments Clause, even though there's no evidence... but we really can't wait according to the left....

Or we could say that Trump delayed an investigation that isn't truly aimed at him, according to Comey, Grassley, and Feinstein.

How about, instead, we put on our adult clothes and follow the Constitution. Trump is the president for 4 years, whether we like it or not. He can only be removed under extraordinary circumstances (which does not include extreme hate from the Dems and the media). There are no impeachment-worthy crimes proven, or even cogently alleged at this point, so let's all calm down. Don't blow up the Constitution simply because you hate Trump.

Same goes for Trump being president for life. Although some of Trump's generals would support it, not sure it's constitutional.
This law school professor says it`s time to begin impeachment for Obstruction Of Justice.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.373a49a55c64

Old 05-14-2017, 05:45 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,668,767 times
Quote:
I support President Trump declaring a State of Rebellion exists in the Union. I support President Trump declaring martial law for the duration of the rebellion. I support the arrest and prosecution of the persons rebelling against the legitimate government of the United States. I support the strict enforcement of all laws, including those laws involving illegal immigrants, who have no right to stay here and should be deported immediately. I support the agents of the United States Government taking possession of rebels property, persons and anything else the government deems necessary. I believe the Government should shut down all news agencies that promote rebellion against the lawful government or President Trump. There are tens of millions of people who agree with me.
Talk about hysteria...

Old 05-14-2017, 05:46 AM

12,953 posts, read 9,592,622 times
The man is not going to live forever, and eventually his health probably is going to prevent him the staying power to do such a thing.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:47 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,757,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
someone is trying to bait us....and he isn't very good at it
(No, you are right, they are horrible at it, but let's play along to make them feel better !)

Oh, I am outraged by this proposal ! He is not going to be President for life ! We will have a revolution !

(There, that should do the trick ! You have to keep it simple for them to understand. )

Old 05-14-2017, 05:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,441,085 times
Lightbulb TRUMP.... President for Life

Quote:
We can't mess around in 8 years. I'm hearing Trump may make himself president for life. He's a young 70 year old, lots of energy.

Trump saved the country, and we can't let anyone else screw it up. He shouldn't give up power if things are going well in 2024. I can see him in the White house until his mid 80's.

I saw Bill Maher also believes Trump will be president for life. It could happen. I hope.

Interesting...

Dying in office.

So, you see a fatal heart attack, stroke or horrible accident ahead.

Hasn't happened since 1963.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:00 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,092,435 times
Quote:

Yawn, the last major news story was Trump getting 2 scoops if ice cream at a sit down while Newsweek and Time suffered with one.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:03 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,410,870 times
Quote:

That is a screwball idea to hope for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies