Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 02:03 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No it doesn't. For the life of me I have no idea why people push this. When you vote electronically, it both registers it electronically and on a paper roll. You can watch it register it and then roll past.
Not all states require use of a paper audit trail with their electronic voting machines. Many do not. The fact that each state is allowed to set up their own voting system in itself leaves the door wide open for fraud. There are countless problems with electronic voting machines even when they have a paper audit trail, too many to list. Here are a few:

Quote:
Common problems with voter-verified paper audit trail (VVPAT) are:

1. Video of voter behavior during an actual election revealed that most voters do not "verify" their choices by reading the VVPAT (paper verification).
2. A manual VVPAT recount/audit is labor-intensive and expensive, and likely unaffordable to most candidates seeking it.
3. And while VVPAT is designed to serve as a check on DRE (Direct Recording Electronic) vote recorders, it relies on the same proprietary programming and electronics to produce the audit trail.

Security concerns

The introduction of malicious software into a VVPAT system can cause it to intentionally misrecord the voter's selections. This attack could minimize detection by manipulating only a small percentage of the votes or for only lesser known races.[29]

Another security concern is that a VVPAT could print while no voter is observing the paper trail, a form of ballot stuffing.[30] Even if additional votes were discovered through matching to the voters list, it would be impossible to identify legitimate ballots from fraudulent ballots.

Alternatively the printer could invalidate the printed record after the voter leaves and print a new fraudulent ballot. These ballots would be undetectable as invalidated ballots are quite common during elections.[31] Also, VVPAT systems that are technically able to reverse the paper feed could be open to manipulated software overwriting or altering the VVPAT after the voter checks it.

Also problematic is that voters are not required to actually check the paper audit before casting a ballot, which is critical to "verifying" the vote. While the option to look at the paper may provide comfort to an individual voter, the VVPAT does not serve as an effective check on malfunction or fraud unless a statistically relevant number of voters participates.

VVPAT systems can also introduce increased concern over reliability. Professor Michael Shamos points out that "Adding a paper printing device to a DRE machine naturally adds another component that can fail, run out of ink, jam or run out of paper. If DREs are alleged already to be prone to failure, adding a paper trail cannot improve that record."[39] In Brazil in 2003, where a small number of precincts had installed paper trails, failure of the printers delayed voters by as much as 12 hours, a figure that would be catastrophic in the U.S.[40]

Professor Avi Rubin has testified in front of the United States House Committee on House Administration in favor of voting systems that use a paper ballot and disfavoring systems that use retrofitted VVPAT attachments. He has said on his personal blog that "after four years of studying the issue, I now believe that a DRE with a VVPAT is not a reasonable voting system."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter-...er_audit_trail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 02:05 PM

313 posts, read 152,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm female. I was not in danger in the bathroom. Nor would I have been.

Not any more than I've ever been.

That bill was stupid.

Cooper didn't steal the election. McCrory sucks.
You could have been if a man who thought he was female came in to the bathroom. Glad we stopped that crap dead in its tracks. Cooper stole it which is why McCrory refused to concede until a month later.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGonnaHappen View Post
You could have been if a man who thought he was female came in to the bathroom. Glad we stopped that crap dead in its tracks. Cooper stole it which is why McCrory refused to concede until a month later.
McCrory is a dimbulb. He had people looking in Durham County for votes. Durham County. One of the most LIBERAL counties in the state.

Idiot.

A man could walk into a bathroom any time he wanted and attack me. We have laws against attacking people and I have never seen police guarding bathrooms.

So, what good does it do to stop trans citizens from using the bathroom?

I mean, the transwomen who use the ladies restroom go there because they know they'll blend in better in that restroom than the men's. Ditto the transmen who use the men's room.

Trans in no way equals "pervert" any more than "white guy" equals pervert, though most pedophiles are white guys.

Do you care about young men using the restrooms with these male perverts?

Yet, pedophiles more frequently target young boys.

Good grief. I don't need defending. If some dude tries to attack me in a bathroom, I'm punching him out.

You want to know what we do in the ladies' room? We go into our stalls and we use the bathroom.

Period.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:12 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yup.

Our NCGA is a bunch of racist crooks.
Just look what they did to the Governor's powers when a Democrat won the Office,they strpped it of any powers.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:12 PM

Thank god for the super majority GOP. Won't let that clown who refused to do his job as AG destroy this state even more.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Just look what they did to the Governor's powers when a Democrat won the Office,they strpped it of any powers.
Which was legal. Just rarely used. Its what happens when the democrat CHEATED to win....voter fraud was an issue the entire time which is why McCrory refused to concede until a month later.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Not all states require use of a paper audit trail with their electronic voting machines. Many do not. The fact that each state is allowed to set up their own voting system in itself leaves the door wide open for fraud. There are countless problems with electronic voting machines even when they have a paper audit trail, too many to list. Here are a few:
Because people do not always verify the paper tally is not a reason to not do it. People do not verify that their paper ballots ever get out of someone's car trunk either.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Thank god for the super majority GOP. Won't let that clown who refused to do his job as AG destroy this state even more.
The AG's job isn't to kiss the governor's shiny behind.

The super majority GOP is ruining this state for the people who actually have decent jobs and a future.

I guess if the old, retired "stay off my lawn" types and the ones who had no real job prospects in the first place want to languish on their "disability" checks while cooking meth out in hog country and laugh at all those "libs" who want the state to amount to something, I can give them their last hurrah, because they are on their way out after the Trump presidency.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Which was legal. Just rarely used. Its what happens when the democrat CHEATED to win....voter fraud was an issue the entire time which is why McCrory refused to concede until a month later.
He did not cheat.

Paranoia, perhaps?

We counted the votes here in this Republican stronghold HOW many times?

Believe me, if someone was going to cook the books, Trump would have lost NC in the process.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
For sure..it settled nothing...but, for the moment, it's a win.

I guess the fact that the Gov. was against the appeal and the State Legislature was for it, had something to do with the court's refusal to hear the case.
A win? How is preventing voter integrity considered a win?

"Hurray, we're more likely to have voter fraud!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies