Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 03:02 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
OMG this is so ass backwards.

Why should corporations STEAL the WORK AND LABOR of the WORKING class without any type of regulations to reign them in?

OMG this is so ass backwards. Why should government STEAL the WORK AND LABOR of the WORKING class by making them pay higher prices and be subject to regulations which increase the product cost even more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 03:34 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Anyone arguing in favor of this, or against minimum wage altogether, does not understand the concept of positional good.

A positional good is something with a finite quantity, that in some cases CAN be necessary for survival, such as a place to live. And more importantly, positional goods are zero sum, which means for someone to have it means someone else CAN'T have it.

The point being is that this situation would arise more and more if there were absolutely no government intervention in the economy.

So even if someone does better themselves, they haven't necessarily gotten any farther ahead, because then the prices of positional goods will increase, offsetting whatever gains they made.

I'm a good example of this, I have increased my income 250% in the last 10 years (from $20k/yr to $52k/yr), yet I am not much further ahead in QOL at all compared to then, because the cost of lodging in my city has gone up about 170% since then (apartments that rented for $750/month in 2007 now in 2017 rent for $1300/month).

Old 05-15-2017, 04:25 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Missouri legislature passes bill to undo St. Louis minimum wage hike | FOX2now.com

Bu-but democrats have abandoned the working class for illegals and transsexuals.
Oh hell...I need to vote more. Damn. Damn. Damn.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Anyone arguing in favor of this, or against minimum wage altogether, does not understand the concept of positional good.

A positional good is something with a finite quantity, that in some cases CAN be necessary for survival, such as a place to live. And more importantly, positional goods are zero sum, which means for someone to have it means someone else CAN'T have it.

The point being is that this situation would arise more and more if there were absolutely no government intervention in the economy.

So even if someone does better themselves, they haven't necessarily gotten any farther ahead, because then the prices of positional goods will increase, offsetting whatever gains they made.

I'm a good example of this, I have increased my income 250% in the last 10 years (from $20k/yr to $52k/yr), yet I am not much further ahead in QOL at all compared to then, because the cost of lodging in my city has gone up about 170% since then (apartments that rented for $750/month in 2007 now in 2017 rent for $1300/month).
Was your income increase of 250% due to minimum wage increases?

Old 05-15-2017, 04:45 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Was your income increase of 250% due to minimum wage increases?
No, I have never worked for minimum wage. I worked as a courier in 2007, and am now a truck driver. So it was due to changing jobs

The point I was making is that static (or falling) wages in the face of rising COL, especially housing is a recipe for disaster

Old 05-15-2017, 05:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
No, I have never worked for minimum wage. I worked as a courier in 2007, and am now a truck driver. So it was due to changing jobs

The point I was making is that static (or falling) wages in the face of rising COL, especially housing is a recipe for disaster
My point is few people make a minimum wage for life. Most of us improve our skills and get into a position where we do not rely on government to give us a raise.

Raising the minimum is also a inefficient way to raise familiues from poverty. last stats i read half of our minimum wage increases go to families making more than the median income. Expanding the EITC is a much more efficient way to raise impoverished families income.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:35 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
OMG this is so ass backwards. Why should government STEAL the WORK AND LABOR of the WORKING class by making them pay higher prices and be subject to regulations which increase the product cost even more?
BECAUSE without labor corporations have NOTHING. It is historically accurate to say that those countries who REGULATE wages along with other benefits hold a HIGHER standard of living.

Henry Ford understood this. Why.don't.you? Because you CHOOSE not to. Stockholm Syndrome much?

Old 05-15-2017, 05:51 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ohhh View Post
Higher wages make them dependent on wages. Then they become ... wage slaves!

Democrats with all their handouts, like the minimum wage, to the lazy working poor, keep the working man stuck on the PLANTATION!

Have I drunk enough of the righty Kool-Aid?
My minimum wage is $28.10 with health insurance. It's made it much easier for me to afford education and to save to start my own contracting business.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:25 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Missouri legislature passes bill to undo St. Louis minimum wage hike | FOX2now.com

Bu-but democrats have abandoned the working class for illegals and transsexuals.
Another liberal for whom the entire world is starkly black and white. Just because some republicans lowered the minimum wage in their state doesn't mean the democrats haven't abandoned the working class for illegals and transsexuals.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:51 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:

So react to the symptom and not to the cause.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 05-15-2017 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies