Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 07:02 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,265,968 times

Advertisements

here's one.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:05 AM

727 posts, read 391,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It came to me recently, the two are so different because they have a different philosophy on life.

Conservatives believe in "the carrot and the stick", and believe that life has to be exceedingly hard and difficult to motivate anybody to do anything/be productive

Whereas moderate liberals believe that we still do have to work, but would like to work together to make things just a bit easier.

I believe that the conservative philosophy is rooted all the way back to the Calvinists and Puritans who founded this country, the Puritans believed that if you were happy, that you were commiting a sin....

Thoughts?
Kinda like "live to work" vs. "work to live"?

Old 05-16-2017, 07:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,689,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
Kinda like "live to work" vs. "work to live"?
For thousands of years man has had to work to live.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:12 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,935,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't subscribe to the philosophy of Sowell. I think of him as a cross between Bastiat and Friedman, both of whom I disagree with.
Bastiat and Friedman are two of the greats. I still miss Milton.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:14 AM

2,092 posts, read 1,425,035 times
Conservatives are left-brain pragmatists.

Liberals are right-brained ideologues.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:14 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,126,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Conservatism is about small government, personal responsibility and individual freedoms. A real conservative would believe government has no business in marriage; therefore, government can't approve or disapprove of who gets married. Liberalism's governmental control allows politicians to say who can get married which has the side effect of saying who can't get married.

Unfortunately for the Republican Party, many religious people forget the government's role, or lack of, and get a bit liberal and want the government involved where it shouldn't be in order to "do the right thing".
Stateist VS non Stateist.

A stateist can be a Democrat or Republican.

They both believe in government running people's lives....they just disagree on how it should run them.

A true Conservative is more Libertarian in nature, wanting only for government to provide the basic environment that lets people run their own lives with minimal restrictions or interference.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:16 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,689,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Statist VS non Stateist.

A stateist can be a Democrat or Republican.

They both believe in government running people's lives....they just disagree on how it should run them.

A true Conservative is more Libertarian in nature, wanting only for government to provide the basic environment that lets people run their own lives with minimal restrictions or interference.
Great clarification. Thank you.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,373,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My guess would be multiple televisions, cell phones, gaming systems, probably more home than is needed, etc.

Of course the huge increase in health insurance costs since ACA came online probably doesn't help either.
I was talking about things like rent or mortgage, cars, savings, etc. Being able to pay for those things without going broke is a luxury any more when it shouldn't be.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:21 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,911,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm just wondering why you take pains to whine about people not understanding your position but won't apply the same energy writing a coherent statement about what you do believe. And of course, you take the time to personally attack. Yet again. I'm starting to think that is the only reason you post. You don't want people to understand your side. You just want to make fun of other people. Sad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What part of OP's post was an attack?

I took the time to call BS on the OPs post.

You see, I refuse to believe that the OP is that stupid, that they can't seem to find out the general position of most conservatives when it is pasted all over the Internet or can be understood by asking an honest question to one. Instead, they have this mental breakthrough that just happens to be a complete false narrative on conservatives?

So again, I pointed out that the OP was trolling with an obvious straw man on a general conservative position.

So you can cut out the victim posting nonsense, nobody is buying that crap.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:22 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,373,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Ummmm......no, not really.

Conservatives believe that individuals should be free to define what constitutes "success" for themselves.

There are many people who work in occupations that you described who consider themselves "successful".

For instance.... I work in a trade that enabled me to work my way to a mid level management position. Am I rich? Not by a long shot.
But I make enough to afford a modest albeit nice home, support my family and have some luxury items etc.

Now, I could rise higher in my company or even start my own business and make considerably more money than I do now....

But I know that I'd have to make a lot of sacrifices that I'm not really wanting to make in order to get there.......Namely working longer hours away from my family and the other things I enjoy.

So.... I've reached a point where I'm happy with my level of success.

And Conservatives just want to create an environment that allows people to work their way to their personal level of what defines "success".
As do liberals. But we have a different view of what constitutes a healthy environment for which labor results in success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies