Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:03 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I was born in the early 1990s (1992 to be exact) and people classify those during the Reagan/H.W. Bush/Clinton years as "millenials". I don't want to be lumped with the millenials as I have nothing in common with them. I don't watch stupid stuff like Jersey Shore or listen to Justin Bieber. Plus I prefer face to face interaction rather than spending hours texting on the phone (even to people right next to you). Just go to a coffee shop or a cafe these days. You'll see tons of them glued to their smartphones.
Whatever...you're a Millenial, and I'm lumping you in with them just as sure as the sun came up this morning.

Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I was born in 1985, and I don't think every Millennial is exactly the same.
I pegged you for someone much older!

Old 05-16-2017, 11:11 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post

What do you classify yourself as? Hipster?
I'd rather consider myself as a Gen. X person. I hardly have the same cultural tastes as millenials. I'm the kind of guy that would spend countless hours blasting Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead on my stereo. Or do a little marathon with my collection of Dirty Harry movies, or my Seinfeld DVD collection.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
I'd rather consider myself as a Gen. X person. I hardly have the same cultural tastes as millenials. I'm the kind of guy that would spend countless hours blasting Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead on my stereo. Or do a little marathon with my collection of Dirty Harry movies, or my Seinfeld DVD collection.
Dirty Harry movies? Interesting. Well if you want to be a part of Gen X I say welcome aboard. Just be ready to pick up the tab at the bar.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:22 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Eh. Every generation has a populace of degeneracy.

Baby boomers-hippies.

Ours just happens to be flooded by a majority of those whose parents coddled them to be weak and sensitive and ever ready to be offended...

Old 05-16-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Dirty Harry movies? Interesting. Well if you want to be a part of Gen X I say welcome aboard. Just be ready to pick up the tab at the bar.
The Dirty Harry thing should've told you all you need to know about that dude.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:53 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
I was born in the early 1990s (1992 to be exact) and people classify those during the Reagan/H.W. Bush/Clinton years as "millenials". I don't want to be lumped with the millenials as I have nothing in common with them. I don't watch stupid stuff like Jersey Shore or listen to Justin Bieber. Plus I prefer face to face interaction rather than spending hours texting on the phone (even to people right next to you). Just go to a coffee shop or a cafe these days. You'll see tons of them glued to their smartphones.
I've never watched any of that stupid stuff - in fact, I'll gladly mock it.** And I guess I'm what people consider a "millenial" (born in 1983).

** Also - people watch Jersey Shore? Really?...

The addiction to smartphones goes well beyond generation. Younger people are arguably more addicted/comfortable with these technologies, but some of the biggest addicts I've known to their smartphones are people older than me. Same can be said for behavior at coffee shops/cafes.

Don't get caught up in generational generalizations. They're very simplified and obviously inaccurate...there's no way to categorize millions of people accurately. Especially when the only thing they have in common is the years they were born.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:53 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Justin Bieber and Jersey Shore? 2010 called and wants its pop culture references back.

I spend a lot of time in coffee shops, always glued to a device. Why? Because, like most Millennials I know, I work a job that expects me to be responsive to email at night and weekends and am also in grad school. If I'm in a coffee shop, I'm there to get work done and not to socialize with strangers. That's true of EVERYONE at the coffee shops I frequent - Boomers, Gen X, and Millennials all taking advantage of the caffeine and wifi.

Sugar, you're not as different as you think you are. Perhaps thinking you are so unique is the most stereotypically Millennial thing about you.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
I was born in 1960, thus considered a Baby Boomer, for which I just chuckle at being categorized as such. Being a Millennial or Baby Boomer etc is no different than all of the music genres out there.

IMO it's just music (rock, jazz, classical, blues) and I'm just a human born in 1960, no different than someone born in the 80's/90's.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The Dirty Harry thing should've told you all you need to know about that dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies