Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 04:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
He could have taken it to both the DOJ and congress. Now it looks more like he was putting away insurance in case he got canned. He got canned, and now it comes out.
Pedro, there's a reason these guys get to the level they're at. He's not the only one who kept detailed reports of conversations and meetings - particularly when they weren't comfortable having them. If something comes up four years from now, which has happened in the past, all he has to do is pull out notes and refer to them instead of trying to rely on a faulty memory filled with millions of other pieces of data that was stored in the meantime.

There's nothing nefarious about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 04:24 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Pedro, there's a reason these guys get to the level they're at. He's not the only one who kept detailed reports of conversations and meetings - particularly when they weren't comfortable having them. If something comes up four years from now, which has happened in the past, all he has to do is pull out notes and refer to them instead of trying to rely on a faulty memory filled with millions of other pieces of data that was stored in the meantime.

There's nothing nefarious about that.
If the notes are about obstruction of justice, they are more than just notes and should have gone to the DOJ and congress.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
If the notes are about obstruction of justice, they are more than just notes and should have gone to the DOJ and congress.
You saw the memo. Did it reference obstruction of justice?

I already posted law experts are saying the conversation was inappropriate - not illegal. Wait and see what happens.

It's been leaked that Comey didn't like Trump. If he wasn't willing to fall on his sword and go against what ethics dictated when it came to Bush, do you think he'd do that for Trump?

I doubt it.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:29 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Let's assume for a moment that Trump used his position as POTUS to tell the head of the FBI to stop the investigation of Flynn. Lets say the memo details that. It would be a crime.

Now, why didn't Comey report that crime? Why would he wait until after he lost his job to report it?

You know that if he testifies that Trump committed this crime, Comey will be asked why he didn't immediately take it to the DOJ. Since the accusation, the POTUS forcing the FBI to stop a criminal investigation of a high ranking official, is extremely serious, what could be the justification for inaction?

The only testimony Comey could make without making it look like he agreed to not pursue Flynn is that Trump did not pressure him; otherwise, it would appear as though he made a deal and backed out only after he was fired.
Well, you know how Trump culters have let Trump off the hook regarding every idiotic and unethical thing he has done for the last two years? And there have been a lot!

Comey could easily say he was building a case, and probably has the notes and journals to prove it. Maybe tapes, maybe told people.

Right now, Comey could run for POTUS and beat Trump. Trump has made Comey a sympathetic and national hero as well as a symbol of righteousness against Trump's corruption.

Forget trying to smear Comey. Is not going to happen.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
You saw the memo. Did it reference obstruction of justice?

I already posted law experts are saying the conversation was inappropriate - not illegal. Wait and see what happens.

It's been leaked that Comey didn't like Trump. If he wasn't willing to fall on his sword and go against what ethics dictated when it came to Bush, do you think he'd do that for Trump?

I doubt it.
Well, I guess you must not have been one of the many people on CD screaming that the memo proved Trump obstructed justice and should be impeached over it.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Well, you know how Trump culters have let Trump off the hook regarding every idiotic and unethical thing he has done for the last two years? And there have been a lot!

Comey could easily say he was building a case, and probably has the notes and journals to prove it. Maybe tapes, maybe told people.

Right now, Comey could run for POTUS and beat Trump. Trump has made Comey a sympathetic and national hero as well as a symbol of righteousness against Trump's corruption.

Forget trying to smear Comey. Is not going to happen.
Yes, the Trump culters act just like the Hillary culters.

Right now, Comey could beat Trump, but we don't know if that would be true two months from now.

Did you forget that just a few months back, Trump supporters thought Comey was the best think since sliced bread while Hillary supporters thought he through puppies in a trash compactor each morning?

Old 05-17-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess you must not have been one of the many people on CD screaming that the memo proved Trump obstructed justice and should be impeached over it.
Hey, I voted against Hillary and I'm thrilled all of this is happening. Let's get rid of this guy - Pence couldn't be any worse.

I have no respect for Trump - I do have respect for Comey. This is a rare occasion but I find myself agreeing with Enigma777. It's possible Comey was building a case and this one event wasn't a case itself.

Obstruction of justice is probably more than a conversation. It's probably more of a command.

Nobody here is knowledgeable enough to say for sure - that's why I'm saying wait and see what plays out next.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:19 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,287 times
Quote:
Hey, I voted against Hillary and I'm thrilled all of this is happening. Let's get rid of this guy - Pence couldn't be any worse.

I have no respect for Trump - I do have respect for Comey. This is a rare occasion but I find myself agreeing with Enigma777. It's possible Comey was building a case and this one event wasn't a case itself.

Obstruction of justice is probably more than a conversation. It's probably more of a command.

Nobody here is knowledgeable enough to say for sure - that's why I'm saying wait and see what plays out next.
Again, there is no such thing as "building a case" when it comes to a felony, as it involves a federal case. it must be reported immediately. Stop trying to use opinions and understand federal regulations as it pertains to department of Justice policy. Furthermore, if there are memos of obstruction, since obstruction has to be within context, memos from other cases have to be presented to verify Comeys consistency. This can lead to unwanted doors being opened.

Now, if there is no obstruction, wtf is the problem? Do you think Comey would sit on such a thing? Again, why are we having this fall out- because Democrats have nothing else...

Old 05-17-2017, 05:25 PM

It seems too many people have no understanding of law. There is no such thing on building a case without notifying appropriate judicial authorities. If Comey had done so, the oversight committee would subpoenaed the memos already.

lastly, when the assist fbi director was asked, there was no obstruction. Also, there is no individual investigation of Flynn. Therefore, Trump asking is either stupid or it never happened.

Why are there so many non-experts mucking up the forums???

Old 05-17-2017, 05:29 PM

Under the law, Comey is required to immediately inform the Department of Justice of any attempt to obstruct justice by any person, even the President of the United States. Failure to do so would result in criminal charges against Comey. (18 USC 4 and 28 USC 1361) He would also, upon sufficient proof, lose his license to practice law.

So, if Comey believed Trump attempted to obstruct justice, did he comply with the law by reporting it to the DOJ? If not, it calls into question whether the events occurred as the Times reported it.

"Obstruction requires what’s called “specific intent” to interfere with a criminal case. If Comey concluded, however, that Trump’s language was vague, ambiguous or elliptical, then he has no duty under the law to report it because it does not rise to the level of specific intent. Thus, no crime".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies