Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 04:08 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

Arizona is currently a hotbed of prohibition. The prohibitionists there are pulling out all the stops, trying to keep it from being legalized next election (good luck with that!). It does not surprise me that the town used for this article is about as close to Arizona as you can get while still being in Colorado.
Arizona still needs some time to come around on this (it almost passed in 2016) but no state compares to Oklahoma in terms of being die-hard prohibitionist. It won't surprise me if when Arkansas, Texas, Missouri, or Kansas legalizes, if Oklahoma responds by setting up mandatory checkpoints to simply enter the state where police will search your car for weed. That is the kind of attitude most people here have about it.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:16 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Arizona still needs some time to come around on this (it almost passed in 2016) but no state compares to Oklahoma in terms of being die-hard prohibitionist. It won't surprise me if when Arkansas, Texas, Missouri, or Kansas legalizes, if Oklahoma responds by setting up mandatory checkpoints to simply enter the state where police will search your car for weed. That is the kind of attitude most people here have about it.
Oh, I agree 100%. Prohibitionists don't have to focus a lot of resources in those states. But Arizona is on the cusp, and has a lot of older people living there (retirees). It has created a quite a battleground, especially since the 65 and over crowd is the only age group left that does not have a majority that supports legalization. But as you and I both know, the battle is already lost for the prohibitionists. This thread, with the OP's refusal to address any points not directly related to the Durango article, illustrates how weak their arsenal has become.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:20 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,394 times
Quote:
Oh, I agree 100%. Prohibitionists don't have to focus a lot of resources in those states. But Arizona is on the cusp, and has a lot of older people living there (retirees). It has created a quite a battleground, especially since the 65 and over crowd is the only age group left that does not have a majority that supports legalization. But as you and I both know, the battle is already lost for the prohibitionists. This thread, with the OP's refusal to address any points not directly related to the Durango article, illustrates how weak their arsenal has become.
I predicted a few years ago that it would be legal federally by 2020.....it might be 2025 but it WILL happen. There's no stopping it.

These foolish ignorant prohibitionists can hold on and beat the reefer madness drum but they will just be looked down upon by the intelligent freedom loving majority

Old 05-17-2017, 04:23 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,560,635 times
Quote:
Don't be so sure of that. I can tell you with metaphysical certitude there's a lot of weed being burned in those retirement communities.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:26 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Don't be so sure of that. I can tell you with metaphysical certitude there's a lot of weed being burned in those retirement communities.
Definitely! I am only 4.5 years away from being one myself...

But when considering the majority, the prohibitionists still win that age group. But even that is slowly changing...

Old 05-17-2017, 04:31 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,560,635 times
Quote:
Definitely! I am only 4.5 years away from being one myself...

But when considering the majority, the prohibitionists still win that age group. But even that is slowly changing...
Agreed.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:33 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
People who were in the prime during the 1970s and 1980s, at the height of the War on Drugs, are the most likely to still cling to that mantra. They are currently the people who have the most power in this country. Younger citizens by and large support cannabis legalization.

I say 5-10 years for the federal government to legalize it and 30-35 years for the last state (Oklahoma) to finally legalize it. By the time it gets down to just a few states where it is still banned (likely Oklahoma, Mississippi, and Alabama), I think enforcement will be minimal, you will just have to go to a legal state to buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.