Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 12:34 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times

Advertisements

Obama DOJ refused to hire veterans for jobs: Investigation - Washington Times

Quote:
The Obama Justice Department discriminated against military veterans, trying to force them to withdraw their applications for two job postings — then canceling the postings altogether and rewriting the jobs to prevent the veterans from qualifying, a government watchdog said Wednesday.
This is absolutely disgusting that someone would do this. The question is, why? Why would the DOJ go so far out of their way to discriminate against vets? Its really petty to outright REFUSE to hire them, but when they were told they hd to, they just cancelled the job posting to get out of hiring them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 12:47 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post

This is absolutely disgusting that someone would do this. The question is, why? Why would the DOJ go so far out of their way to discriminate against vets? Its really petty to outright REFUSE to hire them, but when they were told they hd to, they just cancelled the job posting to get out of hiring them.
Oh, I could write 10 pages on this. As a hiring manager and with all the preferences put in place (ironically by the Obama administration), it actually makes it very hard to hire a qualified person. In fact, there are so many veterans that just submit their resumes against a job announcements, that non-veterans aren't even being referred for the job. This would not be an issue if the veterans were qualified. But in most cases that I have seen, they are not qualified at all. But because they have a point preference AND you then have an HR person that is so disconnected from the job who is determining who is qualified, they just throw them on there and push it through.

Hiring managers just want to fill positions. They go through a lot of hoops just to get an announcement out. To get a list back from an HR person (who may be halfway across the country) that has no qualified candidates who may ALL be vets, is very frustrating because you know there ARE people out there who ARE qualified.

It is a very flawed process. Rather than just pick up the unqualified vet, a hiring manager will often just cancel the application and not fill the vacancy because it's too hard to get someone up to speed who is lacking critical experience.

Now, I think for lower level, entry positions where anyone can fill the position, then this should not be happening.

You probably don't know a lot about the hiring process in the government but it is not easy. The weirdest part of it, to keep things fair, is that a neutral person, who does not know the job, decides who is qualified.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:57 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:

They cheat the system. They don't only do it with veterans though. I had an issue with someone doing this to me. More often than not, it has to do with a "friend" they want to hire.

There will be always be people who feel they are above the rules, and if you want to find a large group, I suggest Federal Civil Service!

Old 05-17-2017, 12:58 PM

212 posts, read 136,131 times
The DOJ under the Ayatollah Obama was too busy persecuting local police departments with bogus, racially/politically motivated investigations to hire qualified individuals. If anything, hiring competent & efficient workers, both traits military vets tend to bring to their jobs, is the last thing you want when conducting witch hunts. I'd love to see the qualifications of some of the SJW types and mindless LW ideological automatons that actually were hired by the DOJ under the Obamatollah and his beloved minion and virulent black supremacist, Eric 'Shuck N Jive' Holder. If nothing else, it would be good for a laugh.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:00 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
They cheat the system. They don't only do it with veterans though. I had an issue with someone doing this to me. More often than not, it has to do with a "friend" they want to hire.

There will be always be people who feel they are above the rules, and if you want to find a large group, I suggest Federal Civil Service!
Do you think they should hire when the vets are not qualified? I don't. If you have a GS-13 position that requires specific experience and the vet cannot demonstrate it (although they might in the resume--wordsmithing helps) do you think they should be hired because their favorable points helped them get on the list and pushed someone off?

Granted, if a vet feels he/she was passed over, they should definitely complain and have it investigated.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:01 PM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:

Anti Military, Anti-police, not surprised

"Why US veterans voted 2-to-1 for Donald Trump"

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2016/11/11/why-veterans-voted-donald-trump-swing-states/21603486/

Old 05-17-2017, 02:19 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Do you think they should hire when the vets are not qualified? I don't. If you have a GS-13 position that requires specific experience and the vet cannot demonstrate it (although they might in the resume--wordsmithing helps) do you think they should be hired because their favorable points helped them get on the list and pushed someone off?

Granted, if a vet feels he/she was passed over, they should definitely complain and have it investigated.
There was no indication in the article that the vets were not qualified for the position

Old 05-17-2017, 02:26 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Is there a memo from Obama telling the DOJ to do this?

If not -- yawn -- the DOJ screwed up -- do we know who was involved...was there one person, 10 persons......Obama can't do much about it now -- he's not President and not in charge of the DOJ.

So Trump will need to fire anybody who was involved....oh and give the vets the jobs.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I'm curious why this wasn't a thing four months ago when Obama was President.

Hmmm....wonder if someone was sitting on some stories to try and deflect. Why wait until today.

So Obama was a terrible man. He and Trump are in good company.

Americans suck at choosing Presidents.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:32 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

if not qualified they wont even get past the computer at usajobs (or the former resumex)

they can apply... the outcome is ....

not qualified (didn't pass the computer)
qualified but not among the best (didn't pass the computer)
qualified not referred
referred..... not selected
sorry another candidate was selected
2 years on a referral list, and never get an answer

or

selected
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies