Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 03:29 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Gee, except for car insurance, did anybody put a gun on your head forcing you to buy these?

How are these remotely similar to paying taxes?
Because I have no choice. I have to pay these things in order to live in modern society just like we have to pay taxes to live in modern society. Just a fact of life.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You have argued to help others by using other people's money, not your own!

Not only that, you have argued that the government should force others people at gunpoint to pay for it.
Why do opponents jump to this line of thinking? Why do you think people in favor of social programs don't think all should pay into it? I know SOME people think that way but certainly not all. Seems like a cheap shot in a way.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's easy. Don't demean single working women with stupid stereotypes and I won't address them.
Thank you!!!

Its okay for them to demean anyone they like but lo if its done to them.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Hmmm well I don't believe that she did, and as a one-time single mother myself, I wasn't at all offended. Seeing as you're a married male, it's just a wee bit odd that you chose this micro-issue to tackle with such personal ferocity.

Oh well. Civility has to start somewhere, and aquietpath has been very civil with you IMO.
I was a single mother and I was very offended by what that poster said. I'm sick of people who think they have a right to **** all over others but then can't take the same treatment.

::Cue Nor Cal Wahine's lamentations of Magritte getting involved in a side conversation in 3, 2, 1.... ::

Old 05-20-2017, 04:07 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariatozz View Post
A large portion of Americans seem to be against social programs even though it may be for the common good. When there is talk of the (on average) much better social programs in many European countries the general response is "well, they have to spend more on taxes". To which I ask.....so? If it meant far better health care, far better maternity leave, etc. isn't that worth it? Do not the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one?
that's how ppl felt about medicare. I'd like to see the GOP try and take it away now.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:36 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Well said. I am absolutely convinced that Americans are really no different than people in other developed countries. When we look at the resistance against taking away cherished social programs, it is abundantly clear. The only reason we still dont have universal healthcare and tuition free public colleges is the enormous power of the ruling donor class, their control of the media and the political system. Big money in politics is destroying the will of the people.
No. It's because Lefties absolutely won't agree to flatten the federal income tax rates and implement a 20-25% national VAT tax like European/Scandinavian countries have. They "want" but refuse to pay their fair share. End of discussion.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. It's because Lefties absolutely won't agree to flatten the federal income tax rates and implement a 20-25% national VAT tax like European/Scandinavian countries have. They "want" but refuse to pay their fair share. End of discussion.
We have a progressive tax system due to ability to pay, a flat tax hurts the working poor, by not leaving them enough money to live on.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If things like roads, schools, and police are worth the coercion, why isn't affordable healthcare?
Liberals won't agree to pay for it. It would require a 25% national VAT tax (like many European/Scandinavian countries already have) to fund it. Watch Liberals whine and complain when that's suggested.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We have a progressive tax system due to ability to pay, a flat tax hurts the working poor, by not leaving them enough money to live on.
Read and learn:

How Other Countries Fund Social Programs

Old 05-20-2017, 04:59 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Liberals won't agree to pay for it. It would require a 25% national VAT tax (like many European/Scandinavian countries already have) to fund it. Watch Liberals whine and complain when that's suggested.
Probably because there's a lack of trust that that tax revenue would actually go towards universal healthcare. I suspect most politicians know of that lack of trust, and so they don't even bother to propose it. And it ends up being a dead end.

I would be all for it, but with the USA's scattered priorities, I can see why people would be reluctant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies