Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 11:19 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times

Advertisements

Today there are so many social programs they overlap one another to the point they get everything free and it does not pay to work.

Just sit back get those heat vouchers, phone, rent paid, food paid, get free medical , food banks, stand in line and get free this and that. Then the men go out and earn a nice paycheck for spending money.
Many a man goes to get those free food items and put it in a 65K plus vehicle and think, what a life!
America is good!! they say, from illegals to healthy people who love being on the system.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:24 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Today there are so many social programs they overlap one another to the point they get everything free and it does not pay to work.

Just sit back get those heat vouchers, phone, rent paid, food paid, get free medical , food banks, stand in line and get free this and that. Then the men go out and earn a nice paycheck for spending money.
Many a man goes to get those free food items and put it in a 65K plus vehicle and think, what a life!
America is good!! they say, from illegals to healthy people who love being on the system.
Lloyd Blankfein got millions even though he was already a millionaire.

No one argues that waste and fraud should not be addressed other than politicians afraid of losing votes.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:

Yep .

Also "disability" is a huge scam .
From that right wing conservative outlet NPR

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

Old 05-21-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yep .

Also "disability" is a huge scam .
From that right wing conservative outlet NPR

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/
Keeps the unemployment numbers down. That doesn't mean that many children would not eat if we ended assistance programs.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Who gave him a check for millions?

Old 05-21-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Who gave him a check for millions?
Blankfein Joins The Billionaire Bankers' Club | Zero Hedge

Dimon should be in prison also.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:45 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post

This is not directed at you. It's a response prompted by your statement.

I'm so sick of the dishonesty of the left's arguments for more social programs. The beguiling euphemisms and lofty moralistic rhetoric closely followed by a quick play of the shaming card for anyone who disagrees. Out of weakness and a natural antipathy for activism, conservatives have fallen for it and have begun to play by the left's rules which means muzzling themselves and not speaking what they know to be true out of fear of running afoul of the left's newly re-engineered Orwellian social norms.

I'm going to call this what it is. They've wrapped themselves in the glowing mantle of the word "compassion" when what this is really about is a class of people wanting money they didn't earn from the people who did earn it.

Of course there are margin of error exceptions to this and I'm sure every single liberal poster here will claim to fall in the category of "I'm successful but I'm happy to give because I'm compassionate." Yeah right. Most of you who support income redistribution stand to gain from money you didn't earn and you're going to vote for politicians who will use force of law to make it happen. That's the unvarnished truth. You aren't saints you just want and you think it's owed to you.
Hear, hear!

Old 05-21-2017, 11:49 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

No one argues that waste and fraud should not be addressed other than politicians afraid of losing votes.
Fact is I used to work in income maintenance in the NJ welfare Department . I worked in many areas and know that years ago , there was a very basic payment . One had to buy their food stamp booklets from their welfare checks.

I worked in areas of budgets, eligibility, and also with case workers. I also worked my way up to personal secretary to the second man in command and set up meetings. I saw it all. I did not work in the service department but saw what went on daily . Drugs, kids not getting proper care, no heat, no food. Bad parenting. That was the service department to place children whose parents were neglecting their children.

It was a tight ship. They got one check to cover their expenses. Most had to find housing on their own. Some recipients wouldn't pay their rent and landlords would call.

Case workers were sent out to see the recipient in the home to check on their residence to make sure they were still under the guide lines to receive welfare.

There were just basic needs met. There was no gravy train on welfare. They would sent them to training to get off welfare and get a job. Recipients did not live good as today with many benefits and cheating .

Some charities would give a turkey and it was well appreciated because they just barely made it to the next month .

I can't speak for other states. This was in the 60's . It was a very depressing atmosphere to say the least.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:51 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Because it's about half of the people working who are paying for the the other half who are on welfare. So stop vilifying rich people.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Fact is I used to work in income maintenance in the NJ welfare Department . I worked in many areas and know that years ago , there was a very basic payment . One had to buy their food stamp booklets from their welfare checks.

I worked in areas of budgets, eligibility, and also with case workers. I also worked my way up to personal secretary to the second man in command and set up meetings. I saw it all. I did not work in the service department but saw what went on daily . Drugs, kids not getting proper care, no heat, no food. Bad parenting. That was the service department to place children whose parents were neglecting their children.

It was a tight ship. They got one check to cover their expenses. Most had to find housing on their own. Some recipients wouldn't pay their rent and landlords would call.

Case workers were sent out to see the recipient in the home to check on their residence to make sure they were still under the guide lines to receive welfare.

There were just basic needs met. There was no gravy train on welfare. They would sent them to training to get off welfare and get a job. Recipients did not live good as today with many benefits and cheating .

Some charities would give a turkey and it was well appreciated because they just barely made it to the next month .

I can't speak for other states. This was in the 60's . It was a very depressing atmosphere to say the least.
There is still no "gravy train".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies