Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 07:46 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times

Advertisements

read the transcript here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/...209/?tid=a_inl

and read the article here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.b4ebc2db2701
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 07:53 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
The guy that said that is a top Republican. He made that comment after meeting with a top Ukranian official who probably gave details of the Putin/Trump connection.

Ryan purposely kept it secret for 1 year. Told the Republicans that were in that room to keep it secret.

Someone has leaked the recording of that conversation.

It shows that even a top Republican congressman thinks that Trump is committing treason. If what the house majority leader is true,and if it's proven, then Trump would go to jail.

"Lock him up, Lock him up, Lock him up".

Old 05-18-2017, 07:59 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
These a-holes are more worried about this idiocy than the north Korean fat boy that wants to nuke us!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:04 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
What it tells me is that Washington can still keep a secret. Someone sat on this tape for a year. A lot of folks are saying if there was anything out there to find, we'd know by now. This tape proves otherwise which is why we need a Special Counsel.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
I love how they all denied the conversation took place until it was revealed there is a recording and now they claim it was a joke. Honesty, I can buy the fact that some of the people in room of Republicans thought it was a joke and others in the room thought it was a serious comment. As much as Ryan wants them all to think and act with one body and head, people don't always tow the rope that's going to hang them. The most important take-away here is that Ryan is not above out-right lying.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:08 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I am unable to read the transcript, although the story notes that laughter greeted the statement.

For right now, I think it more of an ill-advised joke (recall that McCarthy was also speaking of another Republican, in addition to Trump). I have been in the position that Mr. Ryan was placed in: someone makes an inappropriate joke, and you have to be the adult in the room to shush them up.

I imagine this story will not have significant legs, since the participants will simply claim that it was a joke, hence the laughter.

It is, however, slightly disturbing that the aides initially denied that the exchange took place, until presented with the recording.

As I noted in another thread this morning, the prevalence of 'smart phones' may prove decisive in the investigation by Mr. Mueller. I would bet that every single person that works in the Oval Office (maybe not Bannon*) has a smart phone, and secretly records things.

*Steve Bannon apparently, being an intelligent fellow, learned early on that utilizing social media and such leaves an electronic trail virtually impossible to erase. When he first joined the Trump campaign, I was amazed, after doing some research, at how little trace he left of himself on the Internet, save for some of his Brietbart contributions (and even then, he was an editor, not really a writer). The man knew that it served no purpose to post his thoughts and opinions online, where they would stay accessible, forever.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:09 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I love how they all denied the conversation took place until it was revealed there is a recording and now they claim it was a joke.... The most important take-away here is that Ryan is not above out-right lying.
True. Ryan put party over country. Even for something as big as treason. He kept quiet about potential treason and instructed the other Republicans to stay silent about it too. Sad that he cares more about the Republicans political stance than about the president committing treason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies