Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:34 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What a waste of time on a virtue signalling bill.

I bet this guy feels really good about his masterpiece.
Like it will see the light of day.
Hey, at least he's not making up stories about what happened in Times Square!

Old 05-18-2017, 01:35 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Cut Obamaphone service and use those funds!
Do yourself a favor and read all about Obama phones. You sound like you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:37 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Do yourself a favor and read all about Obama phones. You sound like you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
You mean the program started under Bush? That one? Apparently Bushphones didnt fit the propaganda message well.

Yeah most of these people have no clue. When called on it I have seen them STILL try and defend their usage of it through the most amazing gymnastics.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:39 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
four trips a year paid for by the taxpayers, the rest are on him. that sounds fair.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
All I can figure is the others did not sell access in a commercial setting. Trump may have a private residence at Mar A Lago, but it is also a money making venture. They doubled the entry fee when he was elected.

Except for Obama in Hawaii they others were all private homes.
Yeah, I know, but it's a muddy situation. Mar-A-Lago was a money making venture as well as Trump's occasional residence before he ran for POTUS. Unless there was some legislation requiring any POTUS to pay out of pocket for any retreats other than at Camp David it seems a little difficult to arrive at a situation that would please everyone. Perhaps their vacation time needs to be finite like that of most working people as they allegedly work for the people?

Old 05-18-2017, 01:40 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm certainly no Trump fan but how is Donny going to Mar-A-Lago any different than Reagan going to his California ranch, GWB to his Texas ranch, Obama to Hawaii, etc. as well as most if not all recent Presidents thinly disguising campaign trips as Presidential duties?
The difference is that none of those Presidents were going back and forth on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. The previous Presidents traveled to their homes only 2-3 times per year. Our President has been home at least 7 times. There's a fixed cost for each of those trips. Loading and unloading a C17 every weekend is expensive.

I have no issue with the President needing time off or wanting to get away. It's a difficult job. But it's a bit disingenuous for him to have spent years complaining about our previous President being on vacation or golfing when he is doing it much more often.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:41 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
four trips a year paid for by the taxpayers, the rest are on him. that sounds fair.
I would disagree, and push it up to 8 to be honest.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You mean the program started under Bush? That one? Apparently Bushphones didnt fit the propaganda message well.

Yeah most of these people have no clue. When called on it I have seen them STILL try and defend their usage of it through the most amazing gymnastics.
Actually, the phones were a Reagan deal but there are those who would blame Obama for a flat tire they had in Peoria 15 years ago so seeing his name attached to the phones is hardly surprising.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The difference is that none of those Presidents were going back and forth on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. The previous Presidents traveled to their homes only 2-3 times per year. Our President has been home at least 7 times. There's a fixed cost for each of those trips. Loading and unloading a C17 every weekend is expensive.

I have no issue with the President needing time off or wanting to get away. It's a difficult job. But it's a bit disingenuous for him to have spent years complaining about our previous President being on vacation or golfing when he is doing it much more often.
Perhaps they should be restricted to a small number of 'free' trips a year on the taxpayer dime and told Camp David is available or other trips will be on their dime?

Realistically, in today's political climate, a lot of people are gonna be outraged no matter what happens.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:48 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liars Poker View Post
It's not, but it goes to show you how the Dems are out to get Trump as opposed to doing something constructive.
I don't get upset over these things. Everyone knows the bill is going no place and there won't even be hearings or discussion. GOP lawmakers did the same silly symbolic things they knew would never pass under Dem presidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies