Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 07:08 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
"Deep Throat" was unnamed and you see what happened to Nixon!
True. But recall that "Deep Throat" was not, ultimately, responsible for the fall of Mr. Nixon.

If I recall my memory correctly (and subsequent readings), Mr. Nixon (whom I defended almost up to the end, since I was draft age) was finally destroyed by his own words, the 'smoking gun' tape of June 1972 (some four or five days after the break-in), which was finally released on August 5, 1974, resulting in Nixon resigning two days later.

I enjoyed that movie "All the President's Men", but I think it overstated the role the Washington Post had in the downfall of Nixon.

My opinion: Mr. Nixon's downfall was sealed as soon as that aide (I can't recall his name) mentioned that Nixon recorded all Oval Office conversations. Those committees investigating the break-in of the Democratic headquarters by Republican operatives soon began to subpoena those recordings, ultimately resulting in the 8-0 Supreme Court decision that Nixon must release the tapes; the Court essentially ruled that such recordings belonged to the American People, not President Nixon, although he used his own recording equipment.

"Deep Throat" (Felt, as we now know), helped the WP in gathering its own evidence showing the corruption of the Nixon administration. A famous phrase by Deep Throat, which used to be cited frequently by Rush Limbaugh (concerning Clinton) was "Follow the money". Rush may now regret his frequent use of that phrase, since investigators are indeed 'following the money'. It would not surprise me if the 'money' flowed between Russia and Trump.

Our President, Donald John Trump, may be completely innocent of all charges. I have not yet made up my mind, save to say that there is not yet a firm basis for impeachment.

As I have said on other threads: impeachment of the President does not help the country. I was generally against such for Mr. Nixon (until the last), and I was against those proceedings against President Clinton (which was truly, to my mind, partisan driven).

I do not believe that there is, presently, an argument that would sustain impeachment against Donald Trump. There may well be, in future, and that future may be very near, but I recognize that such proceedings to do not help the country. We have had a remarkably stable democracy, and, while we 'survived' Nixon's resignation, that does not mean that our impeaching a sitting President would be good, in the long run, for the country.

In short, 'obstruction of justice' is too flexible for me. It can fit many Presidents, past, present and future. While I think Mr. Trump is, on the whole, a disaster for the country, that does not cloud my judgement concerning the vast harm we may suffer by removing, via impeachment, 'yet another president' within the past 50 years.

I do hope that Mr. Trump will resign, for the good of the country he claims to love.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,433,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
You have to tell us what Trump meant. Why can't he speak on his own so that everyone understands? This way you don't have to do that job.
Look if you cant understand, that's not my problem. I have no problem understanding Trump.

But, as I said, if you cant understand, then you need to wait until he or his staff clarifies for you.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:11 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Look if you cant understand, that's not my problem. I have no problem understanding Trump.

But, as I said, if you cant understand, then you need to wait until he or his staff clarifies for you.
How about you tell us what his words meant. I suspect based on your posts here that your interpretation might differ drastically from what others interpret.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:11 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
True. But recall that "Deep Throat" was not, ultimately, responsible for the fall of Mr. Nixon.

If I recall my memory correctly (and subsequent readings), Mr. Nixon (whom I defended almost up to the end, since I was draft age) was finally destroyed by his own words, the 'smoking gun' tape of June 1972 (some four or five days after the break-in), which was finally released on August 5, 1974, resulting in Nixon resigning two days later.

I enjoyed that movie "All the President's Men", but I think it overstated the role the Washington Post had in the downfall of Nixon.

My opinion: Mr. Nixon's downfall was sealed as soon as that aide (I can't recall his name) mentioned that Nixon recorded all Oval Office conversations. Those committees investigating the break-in of the Democratic headquarters by Republican operatives soon began to subpoena those recordings, ultimately resulting in the 8-0 Supreme Court decision that Nixon must release the tapes; the Court essentially ruled that such recordings belonged to the American People, not President Nixon, although he used his own recording equipment.

"Deep Throat" (Felt, as we now know), helped the WP in gathering its own evidence showing the corruption of the Nixon administration. A famous phrase by Deep Throat, which used to be cited frequently by Rush Limbaugh (concerning Clinton) was "Follow the money". Rush may now regret his frequent use of that phrase, since investigators are indeed 'following the money'. It would not surprise me if the 'money' flowed between Russia and Trump.

Our President, Donald John Trump, may be completely innocent of all charges. I have not yet made up my mind, save to say that there is not yet a firm basis for impeachment.

As I have said on other threads: impeachment of the President does not help the country. I was generally against such for Mr. Nixon (until the last), and I was against those proceedings against President Clinton (which was truly, to my mind, partisan driven).

I do not believe that there is, presently, an argument that would sustain impeachment against Donald Trump. There may well be, in future, and that future may be very near, but I recognize that such proceedings to do not help the country. We have had a remarkably stable democracy, and, while we 'survived' Nixon's resignation, that does not mean that our impeaching a sitting President would be good, in the long run, for the country.

In short, 'obstruction of justice' is too flexible for me. It can fit many Presidents, past, present and future. While I think Mr. Trump is, on the whole, a disaster for the country, that does not cloud my judgement concerning the vast harm we may suffer by removing, via impeachment, 'yet another president' within the past 50 years.

I do hope that Mr. Trump will resign, for the good of the country he claims to love.
We haven't removed a president by impeachment. Nixon resigned so that he wouldn't have to face impeachment. Clinton was not removed via impeachment.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You are wrong. No one who loves the country would be hoping impeachment would be necessary. No one who loves the country would oppose it if and when it clearly is.
Wrong wrong wrong

From the beginning, liberals have been pouncing on every last thing DJT does or says and screaming impeachment.

We have your number. Don't play coy now.

Own up to the fact that you don't give a crap about the country and it is party over country for you.

We see what you are.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:13 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,406,673 times
Quote:
Wrong wrong wrong

From the beginning, liberals have been pouncing on every last thing DJT does or says and screaming impeachment.

We have your number. Don't play coy now.

Own up to the fact that you don't give a crap about the country and it is party over country for you.

We see what you are.
Actually no, I haven't heard many people screaming impeachment until now, you know, after DJT committed an impeachable offense.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
How about you tell us what his words meant. I suspect based on your posts here that your interpretation might differ drastically from what others interpret.
I already said, what is obvious is that he meant there was pressure on him not to pursue diplomatic relations with Russians.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Actually no, I haven't heard many people screaming impeachment until now, you know, after DJT committed an impeachable offense.

Well then you haven't been listening. Liberals have been plotting to take this president down since he was elected.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:16 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,550 times
Nothing wrong with what Trump said, if he even said it.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,574,825 times
Quote:
Well then you haven't been listening. Liberals have been plotting to take this president down since he was elected.
You don't just take a president down if there has been no wrongdoing. Trump's demise stems from his own actions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies