Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 05:55 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,111,759 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking about this. It was clear a year ago that Trump was unfit to be president, whether you were considering it in terms of his unstable temperament, his lack of experience, or his general ignorance. But it seems to me that one reason that Democrats were instantly ready to look for reasons to impeach dates back to the Republican treatment of Bill Clinton.

Prior to Bill Clinton, the last discussion of impeachment had been two decades earlier, triggered by Nixon's attempt to undermine the electoral process. By contrast, Bill Clinton was a generally popular president, smart, experienced, presiding over a fairly good period. But Republican were so rabid to undermine him that they latched onto everything they could, finally fixating on a relationship that was tawdry, but certainly not illegal, and certainly not imperiling the country, as had been the case with Nixon. They were fixating on his having lied, under oath, about a purely personal matter that no one should have been asking about.

But I think it may have opened the door for today. Because if Republicans were so quick to go off the deep end for something so inconsequential, surely that gives Democrat the ammunition to immediately object to something that is, again, potentially undermining the basic underpinnings of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 PM

34,252 posts, read 19,254,567 times
You mean the guy whose crime was simply lying about what he did in private with someone?

If Clinton acted like Trump he would have been impeached and gone in 60 days under the Republicans.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,479,741 times
Let's see here, plenty of evidence Clinton committed perjury (I'll PM you what that means and how it happened).

So far, no evidence Trump has done anything impeachable.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:09 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,931,083 times
Democrats started talking impeachment about 5am on Wednesday Nov 9.

It had zero to do with Clinton. They were in such a state of shock Impeachment was mentioned on day 1. If Trump beat Hillary in a fixed election for Hillary, it had to be dishonest.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 PM

45,034 posts, read 60,050,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You mean the guy whose crime was simply lying about what he did in private with someone?

If Clinton acted like Trump he would have been impeached and gone in 60 days under the Republicans.
No, the guy who lied under oath in a court proceeding. Something a lawyer knows isn't done.

Why is that lying under oath part always forgotten?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,057,123 times
The difference between the Clintons, and Trump, is that the Clintons are career criminals that there was no shortage of evidence of their criminal activity.

Bill was very lucky that they only were pursuing the ridiculous Monica Lewinsky nonsense. Even then, that had him dead to rights for impeachment for perjury, but choose not to remove him.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's see here, plenty of evidence Clinton committed perjury (I'll PM you what that means and how it happened).

Oh?

As I said - did you read? - he lied about a private intimate matter, which was legal, about which the questions should have not been asked, which did not impact the country. Can you possibly be so willfully dense as to think that's worse than the way the Trump investigation is headed? Yes, "so far," as you say. Yet, many smoking guns, and he's barely past the 100-day mark.

Funny, I can't help but wonder if you were one of the many accusing Hillary, who, despite all her years in the arena also has not been found guilty of anything serious, despite the appalling sight of Trump supporters chanting "String her up!"

Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Democrats started talking impeachment about 5am on Wednesday Nov 9.

It had zero to do with Clinton. They were in such a state of shock Impeachment was mentioned on day 1. If Trump beat Hillary in a fixed election for Hillary, it had to be dishonest.
Yes, Democrats realized long before the election that Trump was not only ignorant and incompetent, but was seriously ethically compromised.

And what are your thoughts about the way that Republicans secretly convened to block Obama at every turn, regardless of what he proposed?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:23 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,884,079 times
Quote:

But lying to everyone, all the time, as long as it's not in a court of law, is A-OK behavior for a president. Smh

Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,176,846 times
Quote:

Obstruction of justice is a very popular impeachable offense. Trump has been attempting to do this in a multitude of ways. He will do and say more impeachable offenses because he is a clueless braggart who just can't help himself. He's not fit to be president and he won't be for long.

Trump's presidency is like the Godfather meets Home Alone meets All the President's Men meets One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

"...I just fired the head of the FBI. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Trump said, according to the Times. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.” ...

Ha ha--so you think--dumb dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies