Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My guess, a butthurt parent just caused end of year awards to become incredibly boring with no imagination or humor.
Teachers are there to teach, not to participate in the humiliation of students. Would you think the parents were "butthurt" if the child had been ridiculed for her religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Probably a good chance it was the parent who felt humiliated and not the kid.

Go to a little league baseball game and see how many parents feel demeaned because their kid struck out, but only because the ump is being intentionally unfair to their kid.
You've never been bullied while teachers looked the other way, or worse, participated, have you?

Old 05-21-2017, 08:51 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Teachers are there to teach, not to participate in the humiliation of students. Would you think the parents were "butthurt" if the child had been ridiculed for her religion?
Did they ridicule her religion?

Quote:
You've never been bullied while teachers looked the other way, or worse, participated, have you?
I had extremely crooked teeth, coke bottle glasses and didn't hit 100 pounds until the end of my junior year. What do you think?

Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
You don't answer a question with a question. I think we know why you didn't answer the question.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
No, but they ridiculed something else intrinsic to her identity, and something over which she probably had less control.

Quote:
I had extremely crooked teeth, coke bottle glasses and didn't hit 100 pounds until the end of my junior year. What do you think?
I'd like to think that the teachers didn't participate, but sadly, I know better. Wouldn't it have been wonderful if they hadn't?

Old 05-21-2017, 10:55 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with this.

well, I am a conservative, but I disagree with the behavior of the two teachers. One famous person (don't remember who) said, “Words have weight, something once said cannot be unsaid. Meaning is like a stone dropped into a pool; the ripples will spread and you cannot know what back they wash against.â€

This said, I wonder the same thing, how on earth children with psychiatric disorders can be educated in the same class as normal (well, for lack of a better word here) children?
A less charged word than normal is "neurotypical"

Old 05-21-2017, 10:58 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Constructive criticism. Some people can take it, others can't. You won't be able to cry to mom and get your boss fired when you get a bad performance review at work.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:26 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Constructive criticism. Some people can take it, others can't. You won't be able to cry to mom and get your boss fired when you get a bad performance review at work.
It's crazy how many defend demeaning children in public.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:28 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Sorry, no. How is this award positive and helpful/constructive criticism? If she is anything like me, she is painfully aware of some of the things she does. I truly wanted to do better....but just didn't/couldn't. It's executive function disorder at play for many. It's hard to understand if you don't have it. Not everyone bounces off the walls, either, so it can be harder to diagnose for some. I am sure it is overdiagnosed also.

The difference once I tried meds finally later in life was stark. It still is a process that I am working through, but it took counseling, behavior modifications and meds, not stupid mocking (even if meant to be playful) awards to make changes in my life.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:09 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
I agree with you to an extent, quite a large one, in fact. In some ways, though, I think schools have gotten better. I think the cut-off dates to start kindergarten are more realistic now. My birthdate made me the youngest child in my class - barely five - and as the only child of older parents, with no real playmates my own age prior to that, I was totally unprepared for the social aspect of school. Keep in mind, too, that this was at a time when little girls were still expected, during playtime, to do "girl things," like play house or with dolls. I detested both, and would much rather have been playing with Leggos or race cars with the boys. I love that kids aren't forced into those roles anymore. We were also expected, at lunch time, to file quietly into the cafeteria, sit boy, girl, boy, girl, to break up groups of friends, and eat our meals in silence, or something mighty close to it. I hope that's changed, too.

Academically, I probably could have skipped a year or two in grade school, and I believe it was considered at one point, but socially, it would have been a disaster. It seems to me that one oft-forgotten side effect of "mainstreaming" handicapped kids or kids with learning disabilities has been the addition of programs for gifted or talented children, who can also fit the definition of "special needs" students.

There is no doubt in my mind that I actually had it, and, in fact, still do. Nevertheless, I am glad my mom didn't just mindlessly accept drugs as a solution when I was...seven or eight, maybe? I do think pills are over-used, for a couple of reasons. Big pharma encourages their use to increase profits, and some, SOME, in the education system like them because it's easier to control a kid with drugs than to actually take the time to figure out what else might help.
Interesting. I have no idea how old you are, and you don't need to reveal it, but when I was growing up, we didn't necessarily have those expectations of "girl things" and "boy things". I had brothers, so while I did do a lot of girl things, I also did a lot of boy things. To me, Legos and Lincoln Logs are not "boy things", because they are creating and building. I guess for some the "building" part could be construed as a "boy thing" but for me it was about creating.

And I'm so glad we didn't have the same cafeteria rules....geez! We sat with whomever we wanted to sit with, and we were allowed to talk.

As for advanced classes, it doesn't always mean skipping a grade. Back when CA actually had a decent education system, we started our school lives in CA. We left when I was in 3rd grade to move to WA state. When we got up there, because the classes in CA were so good, we were in advanced reading, spelling, and something else...which I now forget. But, it wasn't with kids from other grades, it was with kids from our own regular class. It's just that when the rest of the class would do their normal English work, I'll call it, we would go in to the classroom across the hall with other students in our grade to take on the advanced classes...so no social weirdness. We were with kids we already knew. Do they not have these things anymore?

And to your last paragraph...yes. Yes, yes, yes. Word for word...it's easier to zombiefie them for total compliance rather than be creative and find other ways. My mom was a teacher and she was always coming up with creative ways to deal with different characteristics and behaviors in her class. The only time it sucked is when my mom was my own dang substitute teacher, (before she got hired on full time with her own class). She was creative with everyone else...but not me. For her, I had to conform because she was my mom. Good times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies