Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:30 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times

Advertisements

I'm not arguing that various mainstream media groups don't lean liberal. They do. Not necessarily good.

But I heard a lot of arguments over the last two days about how conservatives want Liberal Media to be "factual" and "objective" rather than so biased. Alright, that sounds laudable. We can all agree on that.

But what say you to Conservative Media? I see a lot of the same people who criticize Liberal Media posting around links from Breitbart, Infowars, Townhall, etc...you know the sites. So are those factual and objective?

Old 05-20-2017, 09:34 AM

29,811 posts, read 24,891,001 times
I stay far away from the news sources you listed. I don't watch Fox News either. My father watched Fox news all his life, and he still does. It made him an angry, borderline hateful human being. I don't want to turn into my father, so I generally get my news via google search, and a few trusted, diverse news sources.

https://www.allsides.com/
I think this site is pretty cool

4,422 posts, read 6,256,082 times
No! No! They're never wrong. Ever. It's 100 percent accurate. You're just a snowflake and you're just mad Trump won. MSNBC, CNN, and NPR just make up fake news because they hate Trump. "Sad"

1,147 posts, read 717,818 times
Validity becomes less important to people when lies or subjective statements support their personal opinion.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:35 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I stay far away from the news sources you listed. I don't watch Fox News either. My father watched Fox news all his life, and he still does. It made him an angry, borderline hateful human being. I don't want to turn into my father, so I generally get my news via google search, and a few trusted, diverse news sources.
Are we related?

Old 05-20-2017, 09:40 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
Fox News is basically Republican opinion. They are still blaming Obama. Trump has proven he is incompetent and with his pro Russian attitude I knew he was headed for a problem. Too bad Pence is also not Presidential material nor Ryan.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:41 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Again, you can't rely on one source. You need to look at all of them, left and right, and hopefully any out there that might actually be neutral, and get as much of the full story as you can.

I don't consider "Infowars" to be "Conservative", by the way. It's some guy shilling his products non stop and talking himself hoarse in to a microphone.

Things to look for when reading or listening to any media:

"may", "could", "might", "possibly", "I think", "I believe", etc are clear indicators that what you're about to hear are not facts but opinions.

"anonymous source" would be fine were these "anonymous sources" not so wrong so many times. The only one that seems to get that right is wikileaks because they just pass on the information. They don't add non stop biased commentary. You get just the facts and nothing but the facts.

Clickbait titles like "Boom!", "BREAKING!" (unless it's some event like a shooting or act of terrorism going on or some fertilizer plant just exploded), "You'll Never Believe What X Just Said!", "X Slams Y! Must See!", etc is also usually followed by a bunch of BS.

And people should read not only past the headline, they should read all the way to the end of the article. Usually pieces of the truth can be found way at the bottom of the page. Why? Because media knows that the majority do not read beyond the headline, and of those who do, the majority of that group do not read beyond the first paragraph or "above the fold" as it used to be called in print papers. If it confirms someone's bias, that's all that they need.

Also, try foreign papers to a different perspective on the news.

Put all of that together, you might have a slight hint of the truth.

Anyone who watches any channel or reads any paper and does nothing further is not getting the truth. They are getting opinions disguised as truth.

Any idiot who says "CNN, MSNBC, WaPo, NYTimes" are good and "Faux News" is bad, is biased and too stupid to converse with.

Any idiot who says "Fox News" or any other alt media is good is also biased and too stupid to converse with.

NONE OF THEM ARE GOOD.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'm not arguing that various mainstream media groups don't lean liberal. They do. Not necessarily good.

But I heard a lot of arguments over the last two days about how conservatives want Liberal Media to be "factual" and "objective" rather than so biased. Alright, that sounds laudable. We can all agree on that.

But what say you to Conservative Media? I see a lot of the same people who criticize Liberal Media posting around links from Breitbart, Infowars, Townhall, etc...you know the sites. So are those factual and objective?
And?

How many conservatives are saying this?

Are you reading a few posts and making the assumption most feel that way?

Old 05-20-2017, 09:53 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Liberal media dominates the airwaves. the only con pespective is FOX.
Outnumbered in the mainstream.

Sure there are radio programs but I for one never listened or even know where to find Limbaugh, et al. I'm sure there are a large number of liberal radio broadcasters, but all the radio programs are not what the mainstream listens to.

the fact that the mainstream media is in the bag for the democrat party and promotes their fear mongering and hate for trump is crystal clear and not debatable.

It is frightening that the tactics the media uses to try to delegitimize, destroy and remove trump frm office is the stuff of a tropical banana republic. It is not subtle or arguable, the media is an official propaganda mouthpiece for the hijacked democrt party. Their tactics strike fear in the hearts of America as it means the free press/media which kept the government honest and America free, has abandoned its post like a sgt bergdahl.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:05 AM

6,747 posts, read 3,363,837 times
It's pretty simple, really. The media should report the stories not make the stories according to some agenda. That is not journalism and does a disservice to the American people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies