Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 03:01 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times

Advertisements

I have to admit I really do not care if anyone walks out on a speaker, no matter who that speaker is. That is their right being that we live in a free country and all. I wouldn't call this fake news, but rather lazy news or inconsequential news.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:07 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
The problem is Trump and Pence are preaching a message of intolerance, so why should they be afforded any? You get what you give.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:09 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I agree with OP. These kids believe they are more important to get their 5 min of fame by making a statement. Hopefully their faces are fully seen on what is the forever internet and any employer is free to hire or deny to hire a person based on social media and what the persons actions are as that has nothing to do with race, religion or sexual preference.
Wow! Angry much?

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The problem is Trump and Pence are preaching a message of intolerance, so why should they be afforded any? You get what you give.
Nailed it.

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
I'm a pretty non-confrontational person so I would probably never walk out on anyone; however, I get what this is about. Notre Dame is a Catholic University and the students don't feel that this administration (and Pence) are reflecting Catholic values.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:10 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
^^^^This!

Same as walking out of a movie that shows scenes one would rather not see such as violent rape.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:11 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The VP spoke today at the commencement ceremony at Notre Dame and a groups of graduate got up and left to cheers and boos.

Dozens of Notre Dame Students Walk Out of VP Mike Pence Commencement Speech - NBC News

What happened to tolerance, patience and respect?
Like him or not he is still the VP of the United States and it certainly was their right to walk out but one would think that after 4+ years of higher learning that those students would have learned something beyond throwing a tantrum like a child that doesn't like the game that is being played so they leave.

Listening to A right wing radio show a mom called in to chat and she told a story about her very conservative daughter that went to a very liberal university where Elizabeth Warren gave a commencement speech. Did this young woman get up and walk out? No she stayed in her chair and held her nose but she gave Warren the respect that should be forwarded to anyone that is taking the time to make a speech at the ceremony.

I think it is totally ridiculous that those kids walked out on Pence. I wonder if when they enter the work force and their boss tells them something they do not like if they will walk off the job and seek out a safe space?

What a bunch of rude brats to walk out and not even be able to listen to what may be an opposing view. So much for debate in higher learning.
Apples and oranges. For one thing, employees are being compensated. It's a different relationship. Also, a commencement address is not part of the learning process. Had they walked out on a lecture during class time, I have no doubt their grades would have reflected that, but they didn't.

They didn't make a scene, they didn't jeer or disrupt the speech. They just left. I hardly call that throwing a tantrum. If you had paid good money to go to a film, and found you didn't like it, would you consider it disrespectful to leave?

Old 05-21-2017, 03:13 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ohhh View Post
A quiet demonstration and exercise of their First Amendment rights and you call them rude brats ... yet you also whine about the "fringe left" and the "violence" ad nauseum ...

So you're basically saying we should all just sit down, shut up and let your Fuhrer do whatever he wants, is that it?

Typical.

Don't be silly.

Those kids have the right to walk out but they are rude brats.
When have I whined about the fringe left and the violence?? Are you saying that you condone violence? DO you approve of the idiots that turn a peaceful protest/march into a looting mob? perhaps you do since they are sending a message.

It is not about sitting still and having a puppet of the Fuhrer bark at you. it is about respect.

These kids have little minds that are shut down to anything outside their comfort zone. What exactly did they learn in college. I know when I went my mind was opened to all kinds of ideas and I graduated a better student of the world.
I'm no fan of Obama, Hillary, Warren but if I had a chance to shake their hand or to hear them speak I would not turn my back on them. I would probably disagree but I would listen and possibly learn something.

The kids that walked out closed their minds to learning and showed just how ignorant they are.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:14 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
If you want tolerance and respect, give it.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Don't be silly.

Those kids have the right to walk out but they are rude brats.
When have I whined about the fringe left and the violence?? Are you saying that you condone violence? DO you approve of the idiots that turn a peaceful protest/march into a looting mob? perhaps you do since they are sending a message.

It is not about sitting still and having a puppet of the Fuhrer bark at you. it is about respect.

These kids have little minds that are shut down to anything outside their comfort zone. What exactly did they learn in college. I know when I went my mind was opened to all kinds of ideas and I graduated a better student of the world.
I'm no fan of Obama, Hillary, Warren but if I had a chance to shake their hand or to hear them speak I would not turn my back on them. I would probably disagree but I would listen and possibly learn something.

The kids that walked out closed their minds to learning and showed just how ignorant they are.
His point is that its a no win situation with you.

You claim you would be fine with peaceful protest, but when it happens, you label them as brats as you are now.

As for that point, I think post like yours would have more validity if you said the same things when we here about liberal speakers getting booed or people walking out ad protesting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies