Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 05:48 PM

11,318 posts, read 16,634,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They are adults. They have the right to express themselves in such a manner if they choose.

Norte Dame has the right to kick them off campus if they are being disruptive as well.
Sorry, but the average college student today is far from being an "adult".

Old 05-21-2017, 05:56 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,466,073 times
Talking Pence at Notre Dame and Tolerence

Hurray for freedom of expression.

Consider this:

Notre Dame is in Indiana. Pence was Indiana gov until a few months ago.

Conclusion: they know him better than the rest of us. And the rest of us aren't all that impressed with this shameless liar.

And I mean "pants on fire" territory.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:00 PM

17,320 posts, read 11,192,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Hurray for freedom of expression.

Consider this:

Notre Dame is in Indiana. Pence was Indiana gov until a few months ago.

Conclusion: they know him better than the rest of us. And the rest of us aren't all that impressed with this shameless liar.

And I mean "pants on fire" territory.

I suppose that's why the good people of Indiana voted by a substantial majority for Pence as Vice President and Trump for President.
Your argument has failed big time.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:04 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,779,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The VP spoke today at the commencement ceremony at Notre Dame and a groups of graduate got up and left to cheers and boos.

Dozens of Notre Dame Students Walk Out of VP Mike Pence Commencement Speech - NBC News

What happened to tolerance, patience and respect?
Like him or not he is still the VP of the United States and it certainly was their right to walk out but one would think that after 4+ years of higher learning that those students would have learned something beyond throwing a tantrum like a child that doesn't like the game that is being played so they leave.

Listening to A right wing radio show a mom called in to chat and she told a story about her very conservative daughter that went to a very liberal university where Elizabeth Warren gave a commencement speech. Did this young woman get up and walk out? No she stayed in her chair and held her nose but she gave Warren the respect that should be forwarded to anyone that is taking the time to make a speech at the ceremony.

I think it is totally ridiculous that those kids walked out on Pence. I wonder if when they enter the work force and their boss tells them something they do not like if they will walk off the job and seek out a safe space?

What a bunch of rude brats to walk out and not even be able to listen to what may be an opposing view. So much for debate in higher learning.
You have some nerve.
They have every right to walk out. It's their hard work and tuition dollars that got them there.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:06 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,779,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
When my son graduated college the keynote speaker was Teddy Kennedy. My son, his mother and I and his grandmother were not fans of his, but we all sat quietly and were respectful. We'd of been very disappointed in our son had he walked out. He was our Senator and his office deserved the respect of our sitting quietly through his speech. Many others in attendance were fans of his and it was their graduation ceremony too. Never would we have assumed that we had a right to disrupt or otherwise mar the graduation ceremony for them. The protestors at Notre Dame may have left quietly, but they marred the ceremony nonetheless.
Good for you.
News flash: this isn't about you.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:19 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,556,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Here's a shocker for you. The majority of Americans don't want unisex bathrooms and it doesn't make a person evil if they support Marine le Penn.
That's the problem with some people. You think everyone needs to think like you do. Every poll shows that most Americans consider themselves more conservative than liberal but I guess you can't understand that nor tolerate it, but that's your personal problem.
No, seemingly it's your problem. I don't care if you vote the way you want to vote or protest the way you want to protest. YOU have a problem with what the students at Notre Dame did, not me.

And, no, the majority doesn't consider themselves to be more conservative than liberal. Conservative was not allowing blacks and women to vote. Conservative was not allowing people of different races and gays to marry. Conservative is being against pathways to citizenship, which the majority of Americans are for. Americans have shown time and time again that they want more rights for people.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:29 PM

2,574 posts, read 1,739,023 times
About 30 students walked out. They are all Clueless. They all had smiles on their faces, like they were doing something important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkuk0APUL7k

Old 05-21-2017, 06:30 PM

17,320 posts, read 11,192,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
No, seemingly it's your problem. I don't care if you vote the way you want to vote or protest the way you want to protest. YOU have a problem with what the students at Notre Dame did, not me.

And, no, the majority doesn't consider themselves to be more conservative than liberal. Conservative was not allowing blacks and women to vote. Conservative was not allowing people of different races and gays to marry. Conservative is being against pathways to citizenship, which the majority of Americans are for. Americans have shown time and time again that they want more rights for people.
You must be 12 years old because you have zero knowledge of history. I have no problem with what the students at Notre Dame did so you obviously never read my post commenting on it.

Here you go
How Many Americans Are Conservative, Liberal?

U.S. Liberals at Record 24%, but Still Trail Conservatives | Gallup

Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 PM

2,574 posts, read 1,739,023 times
Here is the full speach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc6VTLXyaEo

Old 05-21-2017, 06:39 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,762,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Good for you.
News flash: this isn't about you.
No, its not, but it is about how people live in a civil society. Behaving rudely simply because someone might say something you disagree with speaks to a free for all world in which there are no rules of decorum. It will not end well for those students if that is how they approach life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.