Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 03:07 PM

421 posts, read 288,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why would the protest a belief system they deliberately CHOSE to accept?

Doing so is immature.

You seem to be confused about what happen.They were protesting Pense and Trumps hatred and racism and bigotry ...it is what they have campaigned on ,those things go against their Catholic beliefs.They were and are not protesting the Catholic church, and the Pope agrees with them.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:17 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Even credentials cannot change useless idiots.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:38 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
You seem to be confused about what happen.They were protesting Pense and Trumps hatred and racism and bigotry ...it is what they have campaigned on ,those things go against their Catholic beliefs.They were and are not protesting the Catholic church, and the Pope agrees with them.
If those students truly believed that, they need to return their diplomas, because they are about as dumb as a box of rocks.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:41 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Tomi Lahren's response to the issue has been appropriately trashed.

<a href="https://www.yahoo.com/news/tomi-lahren-lectured-apos-snowflakes-023015044.html" target="_blank">https://www.yahoo.com/news/tomi-lahr...023015044.html

LOL, Tomi Lahren is the human equivalent of one of those talking toys like a Speak and Spell. You pull the string and she plays one of a few canned phrases. In this case, the randomizer ended up on "liberal snowflakes" and stupidity ensued. Does anyone else believe that she is too stupid to even understand the irony?

I mean its not like anyone expects the right wing media version of a Hooter's Girl to be intelligent, but at least you hope they are smarter than the average Chihuahua. When you get fired for being too stupid and crazy for Glenn Beck, you have reached a milestone of some sort.

Last edited by shorman; 05-22-2017 at 03:54 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 03:43 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
Sorry, they don't. The Catholic Church forbids same sex marriage and is most definitely pro-life. The Pope has not changed those beliefs. They are KNOWN beliefs of the Catholic Church. If those beliefs conflict with a student's beliefs, the student should not have deliberately CHOSEN to attend a Catholic university.

You can't choose a ribeye dinner from a menu and then complain/protest when you're served a ribeye dinner. See what I mean?

Old 05-22-2017, 04:21 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Well, let's look at what you have posted for a minute. First of all, they QUIETLY left the area, didn't start screaming or protesting in the usual ways. They simply were not going to be hypocrites and sit and listen to a man they consider dishonest and a pawn of another dishonest man.

Now, about your "interviewing" process. It would be none of your business to interject politics into hiring a qualified applicant. You are trying to impose your views on someone else, and that is just as wrong as what you perceive them as doing. How can you expect to operate a company with only employees who think just the way you do on non work related issues ?

These young people are exercising a very fundamental right, the right to voice their opinion and demonstrate how they feel about important issues. America will be in good hands with people like this taking it through the next decades.
Perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more. If they said they disagreed with Pence politically but found the walkout to be the wrong way to handle things, I'd be OK with that. My question wouldn't be to apply a political filter but rather a judgement and professionalism filter. I'd be leery of the walkout students knowing how to handle interactions with customers, and also fellow employees for that matter. The walkout demonstrated immaturity on their part. They can grow up on someone elses payroll.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:23 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times
so the little @#$%#$$ snowflakes got boo'd

good for them. I hope their feelings where hurt and I hope someone peed in their playdoh

Old 05-22-2017, 04:29 PM

524 posts, read 361,894 times
they could have taken the lefts approach.

California Democratic Party Leader Leads 'F*ck Donald Trump' Chant at Convention - Breitbart

Old 05-22-2017, 04:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default A worthy goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
My point stands... No one would attend a Muslim university and expect to be served pork in the dining hall. So why are students who deliberately chose to attend a Catholic university surprised that Catholic beliefs are communicated at such and by those invited to speak at such?

Their response is immature.
I'm certain the graduates were not surprised to find that they attended a Catholic university. Did VP Pence speak about Christian virtues? (I didn't look for the speech - time is fleeting, & you never get that back, in my experience.)

My assumption is that the dissenting grads are opposed to Pence's policies, insofar as they can be discerned. Or they may have been opposed to Trump's policies, with the same caveat. TMK, the dissenting grads began to leave as soon as Pence took the podium. & therefore I assume that their issues with him weren't based on whatever he had to say then & there.

But ND invites all sorts of people to speak to the graduates. I recall one year - decades ago, to be sure - that they invited comedian Bill Cosby. A pity, really, I thought then that Cosby had worthwhile things to say - but his implosion since (the mounting accusations & hearings leading to trying him on sexual improprieties & assault) has damaged his moral standing (I think) & so cast in doubt his ability to advocate for US virtues.

Back @ the issue of the grads @ ND: Perhaps they mean to be the leaven in US society?

Old 05-22-2017, 04:58 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamebird98 View Post
It was a Democratic convention, anyone who supports Trump was probably somewhere else that day, but I really find that less offensive than the constant drone of "lock her up" by Trump supporters, and particularly disgusting was when Flynn would chant that and ironic since it seems he might be getting his very own pair of silver bracelets soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies