Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 07:45 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,165,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They are walking out. That is not violent.
Maybe the best strategy is for students to give him ten minutes of speech before deciding to walk out or not. It may be different than a campaign speech. He knows he is speaking to many that don't agree on some issues. Plus he was governor of Indiana not long ago. Doubt he will push a right wing agenda at Notre Dame. With Trump's controversies mounting, he has to be smart enough to know a tactful, thoughtful speech is the smart decision. Will probably be a more centrist tone. Could be wrong, but maybe he will be a pleasant surprise.

Agree with you that it probably will not be violent.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,904,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Eh, it's their right I guess. Whatevs.

I personally feel it's extremely poor decorum and also disrespectful to any of their fellow students however who see Commencement as an extremely important hard-earned day in their lives and don't deserve the chaotic and disruptive environment that this "protest" will create. Attention-seeking behavior at the expense of everyone in attendance.
This is about what my college attending son said. He found it disrespectful/rude to the school AND the parents, some of whom came a long way to see their kids graduate only to see their offspring throw a tantrum.
I hope none of those that walked off ever expect anyone to listen to them ever again.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:49 PM

23,385 posts, read 17,061,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The Trump/Pence administration stand for so many things that the Catholic Church denounces.

Notre Dame students just announced a walkout at Mike Pence's commencement speech

Pence has freedom of speech but people have freedom not to listen.
A handfull walked out, supposed to be organized by outside activists.

what event doesn't have some group walk out or riot?

so what, big whoop.

chickfila was their next stop.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 PM

18,401 posts, read 7,024,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This attitude is fascinating to me.

Men and women died for our rights to do exactly what these graduates did yesterday and yet we see this onslaught of anger, offense and judgment from those who oppose such actions.
Once again.....

I'm not saying the little snots don't have a right to protest.

I'm saying their Mommys and Daddies should have taught them to exercise their rights in a more respectful manner.

There is a time and a place for such things, and the commencement ceremonies of your fellow students who may not share your opinions is not the time or the place.

They forced other people to be unwillingly involved in their temper tantrum.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:51 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,201,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There are other higher-ranked universities. Don't agree with Catholic beliefs? Don't go to Notre Dame if you're not willing to tolerate/accept them in exchange for receiving an education there.
I don't need to agree with everything an institution believes in order to appreciate its quality.

I'm sorry that you do.

Again, ND invited Barack Obama to speak at the 2009 commencement exercises.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
The Catholic Church is pro-life (not pro-choice or pro-abortion) and forbids same-sex marriage. What about the Catholic Church holding those beliefs do you not understand?

I'm sorry you've misunderstood me. I know the Catholic Church's standing on these issues. What I don't get is why you have a hard time understanding that people may place a quality education above ideological differences, especially from an institution that embraces diversity of opinion and thought.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:55 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,873,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Once again.....

I'm saying their Mommys and Daddies should have taught them to exercise their rights in a more respectful manner.

There is a time and a place for such things, and the commencement ceremonies of your fellow students who may not share your opinions is not the time or the place.

I mean - that's a fair statement. And it's totally your right to disagree with what they're doing. And it's their right to do it.

America is a wonderful place.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 05-22-2017 at 08:04 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
It's no secret that Notre Dame is a CATHOLIC university. If a student cannot tolerate/accept Catholic beliefs, they should not go there. Go to a secular private university or a state school, instead.

Honestly, going to a school that's a poor fit is like someone going to Juilliard and expecting to get a degree in electrical engineering.
Your analogies are getting weaker by the post.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Once again.....

What is the time and place for such things?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:13 PM

88,676 posts, read 44,444,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't need to agree with everything an institution believes in order to appreciate its quality.
That's how everyone should feel about it. But the students who walked out, didn't, citing specifically Pence's "bigotry." How did they not know that the Catholic Church forbids same sex marriage and is pro-life, not pro-choice or pro-abortion, and that they agreed to tolerate such beliefs by deliberately choosing to attend a Catholic university instead of a secular private university or state school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies