Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 08:18 PM

7,443 posts, read 6,989,683 times

Advertisements

I just saw a video of the walkout and those walking out were loudly booed for doing so.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/16712/...ign=benshapiro

Does not appear popular with the majority.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:28 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's how everyone should feel about it. But the students who walked out, didn't, citing specifically Pence's "bigotry." How did they not know that the Catholic Church forbids same sex marriage and is pro-life, not pro-choice or pro-abortion, and that they agreed to tolerate such beliefs by deliberately choosing to attend a Catholic university instead of a secular private university or state school?
When are you going to address the fact that ND invited Obama to speak in 2009?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I just saw a video of the walkout and those walking out were loudly booed for doing so.

Notre Dame Students Walk Out Of Graduation To Protest Pence. The Crowd's Reaction Is Priceless. | Daily Wire

And?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:47 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,157,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's no secret that Notre Dame is a CATHOLIC university. If a student cannot tolerate/accept Catholic beliefs, they should not go there. Go to a secular private university or a state school, instead.

Honestly, going to a school that's a poor fit is like someone going to Juilliard and expecting to get a degree in electrical engineering.
That analogy isn't even close to being accurate.

It's like you ask a question and then someone gives you an answer and you ignore it, just to be obnoxious.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:57 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post

Notre Dame Students Walk Out Of Graduation To Protest Pence. The Crowd's Reaction Is Priceless. | Daily Wire

I don't think they were out to win a popularity contest. They were making a statement, based on their views and convictions. They must have succeeded because here we are, talking about it.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:03 PM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
So, they can't stand to hear other viewpoints.

I've had to sit and hear various viewpoints over my life that I have not completely agreed with, I guess walking out would just allow us to identify the idiots in the group. REGARDLESS of party.

Frankly, it's sad to watch.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,157,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I've had to sit and hear various viewpoints over my life that I have not completely agreed with, I guess walking out would just allow us to identify the idiots in the group. REGARDLESS of party.

I'd hardly call these ND graduates "idiots".

You mention how they can't stand to hear other viewpoints, yet don't hesitate to call them names because you disagree with what they did.

Just an observation.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:19 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

You are missing the point altogether. It had nothing to do with viewpoints, and everything to do with their disdain for Pence himself, and his boss. That was the point. They simply dislike them both so much (as many of us do) that they, in good conscience, could not just sit there and act as if they were accepting of him.

They did it with class and peacefully, but they made their point.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:46 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,656,575 times
The right to speak! The right to walk! No problem with both!

However, for me, no matter who it is, I'm staying! 1) No problem hearing what any speaker has to say, whether or not I may disagree! 2) Worked too damn hard to have ANYONE keep me away from commencement!

My undergrad commencement speaker.....Bill Safire
My grad commencement speaker....Bill Macaulay

Yes, I know, the two Bills are not what you call 'hot button' cats!

However, during my undergrad time on campus, both Louis Farrakhan and Morton Downey came during the same year! Both polar opposites! 'Hot button' can't even describe the two of them! The consensus was they had a right to speak, and were allowed! The protests were heavy, though, which was alright with me!

Old 05-23-2017, 03:25 AM

51,619 posts, read 25,681,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I'd hardly call these ND graduates "idiots".

You mention how they can't stand to hear other viewpoints, yet don't hesitate to call them names because you disagree with what they did.

Just an observation.
But a good one.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.