Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 04:48 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Online shopping is more convenient and often cheaper than retail. For me it's about time and convenience. I don't want to spend time driving in traffic, looking for parking, shopping in stores or malls and waiting in lines. As people have less and less free time, this is simply the way it is going.

Retail jobs are low wage and low skills jobs. This country needs to concentrate on investing and training people for the jobs of the future and stop trying to drag us back to the 50s. Remember when people were paid to pump gas? How many people still look for jobs as gas station attendants? Things change, and if you don't evolve, you get left behind. A government mired in the past, looking backwards, doesn't help. Go into the arms manufacturing business--we're selling plenty of those.
If you know the jobs of the future, please tell me. I'll invest in them so I can get really rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 04:51 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
If you know the jobs of the future, please tell me. I'll invest in them so I can get really rich.
Israeli Tech.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:51 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The truth is, unless you are a very specialized skill you will be replaced by AI and robotics unless laws are set to protect the role of humanity in our human society.

Who here thinks that the powers that be will keep 7 or 8 billion of us around after most of our jobs are gone? They have viruses on tap that will take out 90% of us overnight.
I would assume that the powers that be would look at the French Revolution as to what could happen when 90% of the world's population was left destitute and they were living it high at the expense of the 90%.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:04 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Becoming increasingly more difficult to do. Every building supply store in our area has self-check out options and they encourage customers to use them. I point out that I never use self-checkout as I would be eliminating the job of a cashier. What's next? Will they ask that I stock a dozen items before I shop? Run a mop down aisle 7?
Heh, I remember when my mom or dad would pull up at the gas station and there is a guy there waiting to pump gas in your tank, clean your windshield, check your tire pressure and give the kids or pets in the car a treat. Now, the clerks stay behind bullet proof glass and you have to pump your own stuff.....

Old 05-21-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Remember back when everything had a price tag on it? Not something tagged at the manufacturer, but a price that a store employee marked each item with. When is the last time you saw a price sticker at a regular grocery store or on items in a home improvement store? No longer needed as the bar code scanner can automatically input the price.
Uh, so far, all of the stores I go to have price tags. Either on the shelves, or tagged to clothing.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:12 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It won"t be just the cashiers at Home Depot out of work.

They have been working on huge 3D printers that can build 10 houses a day in China since 2014.

I think I read somebody in the USA is doing it, too. Somebody will need to build the printers, and supply them.

Robots will be building, designing and programming other machines and robots. I don't think people are even capable of completely wrapping their brain about what kind of can of worms artificial intelligence opens up. You won't need a human to program a machine when AI can do it better, faster and flawlessly. You won't need a human to fix broken machines because we are already making materials that can 'heal' themselves (literally like Terminator 2). How do you have a job fixing machines if they never break?

Humans already can't keep up with what progress we've made on artificial intelligence, and that was already several years ago. They've already built intelligence that can lie to humans.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...e-heart-of-ai/

https://www.wired.com/insights/2015/...-intelligence/

https://www.damninteresting.com/on-t...n-of-circuits/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqW_g9EIBDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr_Lngw4aBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYaI0E1B3FM

Old 05-21-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
The truth is, unless you are a very specialized skill you will be replaced by AI and robotics unless laws are set to protect the role of humanity in our human society.

Who here thinks that the powers that be will keep 7 or 8 billion of us around after most of our jobs are gone? They have viruses on tap that will take out 90% of us overnight.
Why do you think they keep on creating wars and mass hysteria? I still think the aids virus that started to get big in the US back in the 80's was created by the powers that be to kill off the gays.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:25 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
In Henry Ford's days, liberals would have complained that the assembly line was costing jobs.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:33 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:

They won't use viruses. That's too uncontrollable. They'll use self-replicating nanobots that will target certain genetic signatures.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Oh Mercy, won!t be long until there is no need for anybody to be employed. Guess we will go back to the olden days of living off the land.

Better get myself 10 acres, soon.
My cousin and I were talking about this, and thought the best job would be the creative ones. So, we are working on a comic book right now. Not sure how it will do, but at least we need to give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies