Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:18 AM

19,633 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Eventually something has to give. My dad is now 94 and I think he could easily live another few years. In 1920 people usually died from a massive stroke or heart attack. Things have changed, people live longer but, they require considerably more care for longer periods of time.
You are absolutely right. People can linger for years and years completely incapacitated and in need of 24/7 care. That was not so years ago, and is the difference between family care then and now, - the actual care part was normally pretty short. Also, families tended to pitch in together, now it often falls on one person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 08:21 AM

708 posts, read 721,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.d04108e39811

I thought he was going to preserve medicaid. What changed?
This budget has NO chance of making it through Congress. He will get very little Republican support
and no Democrat support so it is dead in the water. Medicaid will be saved.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
1920. People were still taking care of their own in the 1980's.
Anyway, I'm not understanding where people are getting this idea the elderly and disabled are going to be thrown our of their facilities.
Because hyperbole is better than facts. Although at this point there are not much facts to look at but I am sure people who need to be in facilities will not be thrown out.

This is a lot like the seniors have to eat cat food scare. (Nowadays I can buy dark tuna on sale cheaper than the Fancy Feast my cat scoffs at).

Old 05-24-2017, 08:49 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
While the rest of the world approaches 2020? Who cares?

Trump supporters taking America backwards.
Translation: We should rely on government, not family.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Because hyperbole is better than facts. Although at this point there are not much facts to look at but I am sure people who need to be in facilities will not be thrown out.

This is a lot like the seniors have to eat cat food scare. (Nowadays I can buy dark tuna on sale cheaper than the Fancy Feast my cat scoffs at).
Yep. A while back it was OMG Trumps cutting out Meals on Wheels! All the elderly are going to starve to death and die of neglect (because they rely on those volunteers for their well being and have no other food than that one meal 5 days a week).

Old 05-24-2017, 09:21 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
While the rest of the world approaches 2020? Who cares?

Trump supporters taking America backwards.
The 1920s is considered the ultimate goal for the ruling donor class that bankroll Congress and the White House. That's why huge amounts of money and effort are poured into convincing working stiffs that this is what we should aim for. Taking back the country 100 years.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yep. A while back it was OMG Trumps cutting out Meals on Wheels! All the elderly are going to starve to death and die of neglect (because they rely on those volunteers for their well being and have no other food than that one meal 5 days a week).

From Meals on Wheels:

MEALS ON WHEELS AMERICA STATEMENT ON THE PRESIDENT
Quote:
Cuts to funding sources on which Meals on Wheels programs rely – coupled with the significant reductions proposed to SNAP, Medicaid, and other safety net programs for low-income Americans and people with disabilities – would exacerbate the widespread suffering already felt by millions of vulnerable seniors and put greater pressure on an already strained senior support infrastructure.

On behalf of 2.4 million seniors served each year by the national Meals on Wheels network and the millions more who we are not yet reaching, we are counting on Congress to address the growing problem of senior hunger in America and to provide adequate funding to close the gap between those in need and those on waiting lists.

It is short-sighted to cut funding for these vital programs because together they are part of the economic solution to our fiscal challenges. We look forward to continuing to work in a bipartisan, bicameral fashion, as well as with our partners and supporters nationwide, to ensure that no senior in America is left isolated or hungry.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:54 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Translation: We should rely on government, not family.
Family is not always equipped or able to tend to those who need round the clock care. It can be physically and financially devastating to a family. If you've ever tried to lift a demented 80 year old man onto and off of a toilet 10 times a day you would know this. Trying to care for my grandfather at home is what ended up killing my grandmother.

What part of not being physically able to care for a bedridden or demented relative who may live 20 years past his diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease continues to elude you?

Old 05-24-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Yes, and?
Are elderly starving, are they dying of neglect. Has the program suffered?

Old 05-24-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Family is not always equipped or able to tend to those who need round the clock care. It can be physically and financially devastating to a family. If you've ever tried to lift a demented 80 year old man onto and off of a toilet 10 times a day you would know this. Trying to care for my grandfather at home is what ended up killing my grandmother.

What part of not being physically able to care for a bedridden or demented relative who may live 20 years past his diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease continues to elude you?
Granted. But why the hysterics that all these elderly needing nursing facilities are going to be kicked to the curb. Any actual proof or is that just a good emotional extreme hyperbole aimed to rile people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies