Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:04 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liars Poker View Post
Actually, why don't you liberals first make sure that Medicaid is cut to all illegal aliens ? And while you're at it, petition President Trump to establish a task force to eliminate all Medicaid fraud. Maybe after both of those are completed, your moms won't lose their coverage.

Or you can just keep playing keyboard jockey and continue to whine.
Very good idea .... first order of business should be to get anyone collecting on Medicaid fraudulently off.

I believe a former President had a relative sponge off public assistance for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 03:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Family is not always equipped or able to tend to those who need round the clock care. It can be physically and financially devastating to a family. If you've ever tried to lift a demented 80 year old man onto and off of a toilet 10 times a day you would know this. Trying to care for my grandfather at home is what ended up killing my grandmother.

What part of not being physically able to care for a bedridden or demented relative who may live 20 years past his diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease continues to elude you?
I guess you never helped out. That is sad.

What part of being a decent human being do you not understand?

My Dad lived 9 years pretty much disabled after his first stroke and two years after a second more devastating stroke. We made sure Mom had help. We hired a caretaker. Mom had it much easier and Dad got to stay at home.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:38 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I guess you never helped out. That is sad.

What part of being a decent human being do you not understand?

My Dad lived 9 years pretty much disabled after his first stroke and two years after a second more devastating stroke. We made sure Mom had help. We hired a caretaker. Mom had it much easier and Dad got to stay at home.
Well, goody for you. We all cannot afford to hire round the clock caregivers. And I was a stay at home mom with two toddlers at the time. How do you propose I should have cared for my disabled grandfather while caring for two children under five at the same time?

What part about not everyone being capable of affording and/or providing around the clock care for someone who is incapacitated do you not understand?

Old 05-24-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Well, goody for you. We all cannot afford to hire round the clock caregivers. And I was a stay at home mom with two toddlers at the time. How do you propose I should have cared for my disabled grandfather while caring for two children under five at the same time?

What part about not everyone being capable of affording and/or providing around the clock care for someone who is incapacitated do you not understand?
You could have moved them into your home or another relative could have.

If Mom had not been worth a few million we would have had to sacrifice a bit more.

Of course why should anyone sacrifice for family when you can have a nameless bureaucracy taking care of Mom?

Old 05-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
You could have moved them into your home or another relative could have.
Again, move him in and try to care for two small children and a non-ambulatory old man with dementia? Spoken like someone who has never has to take care of small children, or you would understand the impossibility of that.

And what if there was no other relative who could have taken him in (there wasn't). What then?

You are full of yourself thinking that because you were able to do this, everyone else is too. Very often that's not the case.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:52 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The GOP ritual, threaten to cut the best medical coverage in the country.
Best Medical. Thats a laugh.
Nobody complained when Obamacare took away 800 Billion of medicaid funding. Or the fact that College loans are taxed with a percentage to fund Obammacare..
The left and right fighting on this crap is a waste. Its all about money, money to Big Pharm, Medical companies, Investors (and almost everyone in this country invests via 401K to whatever, so we are all guilty of trying to make a dime off of everyone else_

Old 05-24-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Again, move him in and try to care for two small children and a non-ambulatory old man with dementia? Spoken like someone who has never has to take care of small children, or you would understand the impossibility of that.

And what if there was no other relative who could have taken him in (there wasn't). What then?

You are full of yourself thinking that because you were able to do this, everyone else is too. Very often that's not the case.
My guess is if push came to shove you would not have left him in the streets.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
My guess is if push came to shove you would not have left him in the streets.
No, you're right. I probably would have been forced to endanger the lives of both of my children as well as my grandfather by attempting the impossible. And I probably would have failed, because, as I said, it would have been impossible.

So that's your solution?

Old 05-24-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
No, you're right. I probably would have been forced to endanger the lives of both of my children as well as my grandfather by attempting the impossible. And I probably would have failed, because, as I said, it would have been impossible.

So that's your solution?
Is there a limit to what percentage of GDP should be committed to health and elder care?

Old 05-24-2017, 07:14 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Everyone dies. The elderly die in nursing homes everyday.
Do you have any supporting evidence numbers of elderly died due to lack of care. Like being homeless in the streets?
You miss my point. There is no use in comparing health care and its cost today with health care and its cost in 1920. There are many lifesaving treatments available today that were not around then. Unfortunately, they cost money. In any case, I wasn't speaking only of the elderly, I was addressing the absurdity of comparing the cost of health care now with the cost of health care 100 years ago. But if you really want to go there, there are lots of elderly and chronically ill people alive today who would have died back then, because the cures simply didn't exist. Now they do, but they can't be paid for with pocket change or a dozen eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies