Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 10:35 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,695,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I can't even believe we even have to have this conversation. Healthcare IS an entitlement. People are entitled to be healthy. They have a universal right not to be ill. This is so patently obvious no discussion should be necessary. But we live in the United States, the most powerful country in the world, so we are still behind many other countries when it comes to health care, and some people believe that only the rich are "entitled" to health insurance and benefits
You have the right to get a job for health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who said health care is a right? Sounds like I missed something. The US has never signed the UN rights declaration that includes health care and housing, if I'm not mistaken. It's the Russkies who said housing and health care are a right.
I read that the Russians are still joking about this right.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:09 PM

31,927 posts, read 14,919,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
....why stop there and not say that housing is a right, college is a right? You have to pay to get housing, you have to pay to get a college education, and not expect someone else to hand it to you for free. It is not free, because someone else paid for it. How is it a right? Entitlement much?
Your health is the most valuable asset you have. If you don't have access to good healthcare then we all suffer, the country suffers. I told my kids not to be enticed by a great salary. The most important thing are the benefits.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:14 PM

45,094 posts, read 26,262,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Your health is the most valuable asset you have. If you don't have access to good healthcare then we all suffer, the country suffers. I told my kids not to be enticed by a great salary. The most important thing are the benefits.
Where is said that govt healthcare is good healthcare? It will be the opposite.
And your comment makes a good case to stop socializing the outcomes of individual bad behaviors (so the whole country doesnt suffer).

Old 05-21-2017, 11:21 PM

26,709 posts, read 22,358,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
That's kind of where I thought you were going. Yeah, we're forced by nature to work if we want something, or at least somebody has to do it. That can't be avoided.

Whenever I talk to anti-capitalists I think of something I saw awhile back...

Marxist: Feed my *** for simply existing.
Capitalist: No, but I'll pay you to do stuff for me.
Marxist: OMG I'm being exploited!!

That's pretty much what it all comes down to.
We are not talking about the "anti-capitalist" or "pro-capitalist" points here ( although we can find plenty of them both ways.)
We are simply establishing facts - that's all to it.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:22 PM

26,709 posts, read 22,358,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I read that the Russians are still joking about this right.
They are joking about today's capitalism in their country all the same.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:28 PM

1,896 posts, read 806,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
....why stop there and not say that housing is a right, college is a right? You have to pay to get housing, you have to pay to get a college education, and not expect someone else to hand it to you for free. It is not free, because someone else paid for it. How is it a right? Entitlement much?
What about Medicare?

The Facts on Medicare Spending and Financing | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Should we end it, give folks what they put in, and let seniors try their luck in the private market?

Right now we have a system that doesn't incentivizes healthy behavior as the obesity rate for boomers is 70% per this source.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:35 PM

31,927 posts, read 14,919,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Where is said that govt healthcare is good healthcare? It will be the opposite.
And your comment makes a good case to stop socializing the outcomes of individual bad behaviors (so the whole country doesnt suffer).
My son lived in the UK for a year and I have a few friends there. They love the healthcare they get. My son was a student. When he needed to see a doctor he always got in the next day. The cost of his prescription, if needed was nothing compared to what it is in the US. It was very cheap. We need a single payer system. If people a supplement plan then they can buy it. Drug prices in our country our outrageous if you don't have good health insurance. People are losing their homes because they can't afford the medication they need. A family member has suffered from depression for most of his life. Every new antidepressant isn't covered by most insurance companies because it's still too new to see the effects. So unless the patient has good health insurance they are out of luck getting it. This in not the case in countries that have universal health insurance.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 PM

Medicare has been there for a long time for older folks. But the younger crowd can get jobs for health care. I see a lot of mooching, young people amassaing millions of dollars at age 30 or 40 and wants to retire thanks to ACA. Without that they have to stay working. Contributing to the economy and to SS and Medicare. So it's good to get these lazy bums of the couch and back to work.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
My son lived in the UK for a year and I have a few friends there. They love the healthcare they get. My son was a student. When he needed to see a doctor he always got in the next day. The cost of his prescription, if needed was nothing compared to what it is in the US. It was very cheap. We need a single payer system. If people a supplement plan then they can buy it. Drug prices in our country our outrageous if you don't have good health insurance. People are losing their homes because they can't afford the medication they need. A family member has suffered from depression for most of his life. Every new antidepressant isn't covered by most insurance companies because it's still too new to see the effects. So unless the patient has good health insurance they are out of luck getting it. This in not the case in countries that have universal health insurance.
My husband is from U.K., so while it's great for basic care, it's not that great for other complicated stuff. Google Andrew Lloyd Webber and his 19 operations. If U.K. Healthcare is so great then why 19 operations. You only need one or two. And he is rich.
Same with Switzerland, the darling of Europe, google Phill Collins ex-wife, she was living in Florida but believed wrongly that healthcare is better in Switzerland and came back there for surgery. She is now walking with cane and lost all feelings in her upper body. She is trying to sue the doctor. But it's probably not possible, unlike USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies