Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:34 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
No he didn't, he neither followed the saturday nor stoped proclaiming to be The Son of God, what caused his death.
Yeah, one of the nicknames given to Jesus is "the rebel Jew" - - but somehow he followed all the political laws of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 07:35 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
What did Jesus do?
He healed the Sick, fed the Hungry, loved the poor and unwanted.

Try to find a Conservative Republican like that nowadays.
Since you asked...

Doctors heal the sick. They are split about 50/50, Republican/Democrat with surgeons and internists being Republican and psychiatrists being Democrat. So it's easy to find a Republican who heals the sick.

Farmers are Republicans, by a great margin.

Who loves the poor and unwanted? ..... No one. That's why they are called unwanted.
Loving someone simply because they are poor is foolishness, but that the claim of Democrats. Actually, Democrats see poor people simply as tools that the Democrats can use to gain power.
Democratic vs. Republican occupations

Old 05-22-2017, 07:43 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Exactly what these churches are doing.

No, he did not.
Joseph and Mary .......followed the law......when despite being nearly 9 months pregnant they traveled to register for a census.

I don't recall Jesus speaking out against the evil Roman Empire that was occupying the country he lived in.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Saw this on 60Minutes this evening about some churches and synagogues defying President Trumps Executive Order and harboring illegals. As a Christian that is middle of the road politically I think it's interesting because it goes against the stereotype that all Christians are right winged. I'm not sure how I feel about this at the moment but was interesting nonetheless. Link below...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsne...ion-crackdown/
Gotta keep butts in the pews...

Old 05-22-2017, 07:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I work at a Catholic university which very openly says that it is a sanctuary university. I'm not surprised at all that some churches are doing the same - - it's right in line what the church believes that Jesus would have done.

My kid went to a private Christian University(freshman this year) with my OK(funding) thinking it would not be the political mine field and loony liberal, that the public universities have become.

Was I wrong!
They insisted the students be very political. If you were not buying the entire catalog of crazy, you were bullied and virtue checked at every turn.
My kid had a miserable time and flat quit the athletic commitments(3 sports) she chose that school for. They tried to get her to do bad things in the dorm,(party central) so they could use it against her. They were forced to go to the women's march, or be kicked off the team.(the final straw for my kid)
College was suppose to be a new leaf for her and it quickly became a nightmare in this political atmosphere.
Even private Universities are not immune to the Communists.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Jews were doing these things, not the Romans. There was no Roman law against these things.

Maybe I could explain it this way: it is not against church law to help illegal immigrants. When God created Earth, he didn't put boundary lines between nations. So there is nothing religiously wrong with helping illegals. But the question was asked "what would Jesus do?". If there were governmental laws at the time that said people can't enter Judea illegally, Jesus would have supported those laws since to do otherwise would have opened him up to accusations of supporting illegal activities.
I said both laws were being enforced at those time, and you said "negative". You were wrong.

Would you have turned in Jews in Germany just because the Nazi laws said so?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:06 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times
take away their non-profit status.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:19 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
... I think it's interesting because it goes against the stereotype that all Christians are right winged. I'm not sure how I feel about this at the moment but was interesting nonetheless.
Christians are not inevitably right wing.

Being a Christian demands one have behavioral standards. It is not easy being a Christian, it was never meant to be easy.

Some Christians are very judgmental, and can be quick to condemn others. I think this comes from Calvin.

Other Christians are active in the world attempting to mitigate suffering. Jane Addams and Dorothy Day are two good examples.

Catholic Social Teaching is interesting to study, I have a copy. It is hard to support most Republican/Conservative policies after going through it.

Quote:
What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?

If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,” but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it? So also faith of itself ... if it does not have works, is dead.

Indeed someone may say,“You have faith and I have works.” Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works.

You believe that God is one. You do well. Even the demons believe that and tremble.
James 2:14-19

Old 05-22-2017, 08:26 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What purpose is served by deporting someone who has worked and paid US taxes for decades, has American born children, and no criminal history, in many cases a more ethical personal history than those who made the laws they're afoul of?

And IF there's to be no discretion of prosecution, shouldn't a "sensible immigration policy" include tracking down, prosecuting, and jailing those who hire and profit from illegal labor?
It is because they entered and remained in the USA unlawfully. If they are working without a SSA number or "borrowed" a SSA number, then they are being unlawful. I have friends in construction who either own their own companies or are tradesmen who lose out to companies who hire those unlawfully present in this country. You talk to them about missing house payments or owing Uncle Sam for back taxes. If they wanted to become American citizens, then they should have followed the law rather than sneak in.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
ICE is doing a horrible job. trump promised criminals first (and don't give me that crap about undocumenteds being criminals just from being undocumented) and he meant real criminals...felons.

But ICE agents sit on their fat overpaid butts at their desks and await law-abiding undoucmenteds to come in for their annual meeting, grab them and deport them.

We've all seen the stories of mothers or fathers with no criminal records, being torn away from their families. If you see these stories and are not moved by them, you are a jerk.
I am a jerk.

Break laws, get treated like a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies