Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:08 AM

33,314 posts, read 12,491,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Back to the topic at hand.

The U.S. appears headed towards a breakup. It's not inevitable, but given the current divisiveness, there is little but the Constitution holding us together and that can be amended.

The pace of change is accelerating -- automation and artificial intelligence are replacing low skilled workers at an ever increasing pace. Freedman's "Thanks for Being Late" explains it on no uncertain terms and there are several C-D threads on this very topic.

A growing number of Americans are, for all practical purposes, unemployable in anything but the dreaded service-industry jobs and even these are losing ground with self-service ordering and check-out stands, brick and mortar store closings, etc.

Many of the unemployables voted for Trump because he promised them he could turn back the hands of time and bring back those decent-paying, low-skilled jobs. Alas, that train has left the station.

The tolerance of the "coastal and urban elites" for providing increasing amounts of financial support for unemployables is waning.

Take AHCA for example. By allowing each state to decide their insurance regulations and how much Medicaid they will provide, the less fortunate from these downtrodden states will likely roam to states where they can get the medical care they need. Minnesota is already overrun with those from Illinois, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota "seeking services." There is a limit to how many people the prosperous states are willing to take in.

So you have the Democrats, the coastal elites, and urbanites growing weary of picking up the slack for the unemployables.

And you have the unemployables and their resentment over their ever deteriorating situation blaming the Democrats, the coastal elites, and urbanites for their sorry situation.

Then you have the cultural wars with one side trying to push their religious believes on everyone and their resentment over being forced to honor the civil rights of even those they don't approve of.

Throw in Republicans with their constant conspiracy theories and smear campaigns and you have the ingredients for a two nation cake.

It's not inevitable. But it sure looks like we are headed towards a divorce.
Hillary, did you write this post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 12:53 PM

716 posts, read 393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I thinks it's more likely that the order would be to stop the more active protesting types. You know, BLM, Antifa types groups. What would you think about that?
I think that's perfectly possible and with the same result; the vast majority of our soldiers would follow their orders.

But it's conservatives who keep suggesting or threatening insurrection. It's conservatives who keep talking about 'taking their country back'. It's conservatives who have a problem with our free press. It's conservatives who have a problem with our court system. And it's conservatives who love to quote Jefferson's quip about watering the liberty tree with blood...

Old 05-23-2017, 12:54 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I really believe we are starting to reach a tipping point in America. .
I really believe you need some sleep.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:54 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Of course. It's entropy. Everything falls apart, from plants to machines to people, societies, nations, etc. Even Rome fell.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:00 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
It's not feasible because the biggest divide in this country is not regional, but urban/rural.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:25 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

The election of Trump, following on the heels of the broader Tea Party movement, is a highly significant mile marker in our struggle to regain control of the nation and its institutions following the slow, incremental imposition of corrupt, self-serving single party rule (though they still referred to themselves as Democrats and Republicans) over the past half century.
You have made a huge error , firstly nov 8th was your high point. All that is done now, the pop is awake and will actually vote for a the next 4 to 8 years. And that is super bad for the right.

doubt me? watch the next 18 months will make it very clear to you.

What you really need to consider is how do we TOGETHER fix this? The LEFT would be delighted to work with you to free the masses. Most of us simply want to end the dark money from peoples like the Koch families... we want to allow others to have some semblance of security and real access to education , healthcare etc. Along with a fair shot.

I think the left and right are much much closer than you think. i just don't see any conspiracy outside of uber wealthy donors and lobbyists...

Old 05-23-2017, 01:26 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Inevitable? I don't think anything is inevitable. But we are going to have to deal with our division sooner or later. I think the best way to do so is to elect more moderate candidates who know what the word "compromise" means.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:42 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Inevitable? I don't think anything is inevitable. But we are going to have to deal with our division sooner or later. I think the best way to do so is to elect more moderate candidates who know what the word "compromise" means.
Agreed.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:11 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Hillary, did you write this post?
You caught me.

So what are we going to do about a future with an increasing number of citizens who are flat unemployable?

Old 05-23-2017, 03:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Of course. It's entropy. Everything falls apart, from plants to machines to people, societies, nations, etc. Even Rome fell.
Rome didn't just fall, they fell prey ...

The Rise and Fall of Civilizations | Gold Eagle

scroll down the page until you find it: Rome: 700 BC to 337 AD

And I found this page on ancient civilizations most interesting the last noted in the outline

Rise and Fall of Ancient Civilizations

5. rivals imitate success

a. opens up possibility of invasion

b. rivals, if successful, fall prey to the same problems

________

I don't see an evolutionary change in human nature. I just see rinse and repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies