Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 12:37 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,447,766 times

Advertisements

No wonder the people who came out and voted to put Trump over the top in the rust belt are called "deplorables." Most, if not all of them, are the very ones that will be cut off at the knees by Trump's cuts. Stupid people do stupid things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 12:39 PM

8,063 posts, read 3,400,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Teh Stoopid is great with The Left.

Bill Clinton made the biggest cuts to welfare in history, but did so under duress. The media, academia, and the Democratic Party told him it would be a disaster. But Republicans ruled the legislature, so Clinton signed.

Now, Libs, tell us all about how that massive cut resulted in the "crippled economy" you all love to predict.
What Clinton did almost resulted in my death. The authorities God established over me (Romans 13) took up for the thing, my rapist and forced husband, and allowed him to do whatever he wanted to me. They even helped him track me down when I was trying to get away from him. They court ordered me to live in the area so he could exercise his rights over me and my child I conceived from one of the many rapes. I was denied employment in the area because after I managed to flee his home, even before I knew I was pregnant, and obtained a restraining order the thing's cop buddies (he was a government employee and was buddies with cops in the area) wouldn't enforce it and he'd show up at every new job I got causing problems and I kept getting fired because of it. So, I was forced onto welfare after my daughter was born for survival. Then welfare reform hit and I had the option of working so many hours a week (which was impossible for me since I was blackballed in the area because employers knew he'd show up to cause problems if they hired me) or go to college. So, I was forced to stay in college where the thing would show up causing problems. I did get work study for ten hours a week at least, but I had to take out student loans to survive since ten hours a week minimum wage did not go very far with a child and the courts refused to make him pay child support. I received a whole $207/month in AFDC. That didn't go far, either.

Then the work requirements were upped to college plus twenty hours week, which was pretty much impossible since again no one would hire me for a real job. The case worker violated policy and looked the other way for a while. But there were year/month limits I was coming up on. It took nearly four years for the courts to finally grant the divorce. In that state you had to live apart from the other spouse for a whole year if you had children together. The thing would lie in court each year and claim we'd been together when we hadn't and it would start the clock over again. That only stopped because during that last hearing the judge got mad at him for something and granted the divorce and terminated his visitation rights, which freed me up to move out of the area at long last. Had I not got the divorce I would've run out of benefits while still being imprisoned to live in my rapist's area thus I wouldn't have been able to survive that.

I never was able to recover from that huge employment gap and being the age I was when I got out of there without a decent employment history. And my health kept getting worse as well. I know I will never be gainfully employed. I started job hunting when I was 16 and an honor roll student in high school and all these years later still rejected. I have three college degrees and kept high GPA, even graduated with honors, and still rejected. They see my health problems and that no one else has wanted me and reject me quickly.

Welfare reform nearly destroyed me during a time when I couldn't legally become employed. I was a child when the rapes began and I was forced to marry the thing to repent of the sin of fornication. The church insisted I could've stopped it if I had wanted to and blamed me for that grown man forcing himself on me. Then after I finally escaped his residence they sided with him because I had sinned and departed from my husband. I had never wanted to be with that thing in the first place. No one helped me. People, even police, would watch him stalk and even beat me and not care. I had zero friends. It may not have crippled everyone, but it hurt me and I only survived it because I got lucky and he ticked that judge off.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:42 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,829,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
No wonder the people who came out and voted to put Trump over the top in the rust belt are called "deplorables." Most, if not all of them, are the very ones that will be cut off at the knees by Trump's cuts. Stupid people do stupid things!
Yes, without a government program them stupid people cannot function.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:43 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,218,201 times
[quote=whogo;48238411]Tax cuts for the wealthy mean higher investments in stocks and more money in my 401K and IRA.

Those who shall not work shall not eat.[/QUOTE

Trickle down economics doesn't work!
We deserve more than the dregs of the wealthy.
My 401k and investments flourished during the Obama and Clinton years allowing us to retire early on a middle class income. Thank God the Republican plan to privatize social security failed.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
If people are concerned these programs are being taken advantage of why not put together a department that investigates that. There are social workers and such, why not have social workers who's job is to check a person's situation and see if they should really quality for government assistance programs in person not just on paper. You'd be creating jobs, and forcing able bodied people back into the workforce.

In parks there are signs saying "do not feed the wildlife" because they will become dependent on it and unable to fend for themselves.. Humans are no different really.

They are great programs for those who are in true need of them and not taking advantage.
Those social workers are usually the first to be cut.
Those who are left have overwhelming caseloads without time to "check situations".

Old 05-22-2017, 12:48 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,829,396 times
[quote=Jstarling;48243901]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Tax cuts for the wealthy mean higher investments in stocks and more money in my 401K and IRA.

Those who shall not work shall not eat.[/QUOTE

Trickle down economics doesn't work!
We deserve more than the dregs of the wealthy.
My 401k and investments flourished during the Obama and Clinton years allowing us to retire early on a middle class income. Thank God the Republican plan to privatize social security failed.
IF SS had been privatized 40 years ago I would be wealthy enough to retire now. Simply compound what was taken out of SS at 4% and see how much wealthier you would be.

Thank Newt and Reagan for the Clinton years and the Republican Congress for the Obama years.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Just liberals throwing guilt trips around.
So tell me more about how your conservative Christian church is "better" than my progressive church in doing the work that Jesus wanted us to do.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:55 PM

8,302 posts, read 3,889,427 times
Quote:
Tax cuts for the wealthy mean higher investments in stocks and more money in my 401K and IRA.

Those who shall not work shall not eat.
That's tongue in cheek, right? Since lots of of people would love to work and can't find work, or they work hard but the wages are so low that they have to decide between food, health care, and rent every month. So you are saying they don't eat? I'm sure you will clear this up for us.

Remember this quote? "If they would rather die, they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population." Maybe that's an even better solution from your point of view?

Old 05-22-2017, 12:55 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,680,064 times
Quote:
I believe even most private charity simply supports sloth. I donate to St Jude's and a local animal shelter.

I do not ask you to do the same.

If a neighbor comes to me hungry with a good sob story I will feed him.

The fact is the precipitous decline in the poverty rate stopped when the Great Society began.

I am sure you mean well.
So, despite expecting others to donate to a food bank, you don't. Oh, wait, you don't expect me to donate to St. Jude's and a local animal shelter. Okayyyy... I'm sure you mean well, too.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:56 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,989,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liars Poker View Post
How about we cut all benefits to illegal immigrants and give all that money to the American citizen seniors ?
Undocumented immigrants aren't legally allowed to use social benefits like welfare, etc. If there are people using it, that's more a problem with enforcement than anything else, and even so, it'd still be a drop in the bucket compared to what most of the national budget goes to, specifically defense and things like medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies