Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:35 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Exactly.

Trump is the one who ran on this insane notion that he could go in and save a job here and create a job there and single-handedly put blue collar workers back in the factories.

Trump and his supporters are the ones who run around touting every announcement of job creation and giving Trump credit.

Remember IBM? The Trump followers ran around praising Trump for that, even though the jobs (which don't actually exist) had been known about since long before Trump was even elected. And now IBM is quietly having a non-layoff mass layoff, but we don't see a single cult member blaming Trump for that.
Accurate and valid. Sad this (for America) to me is, there are so many easily-duped rubes who believe trump (or "insert name of high-level DC political figure here") gives two rat craps about the average American, blue collar workers, etc. They don't. Witness trump time and again installing elitist billionaire corporate cronies to cabinet positions. They work only to further enrich themselves AT THE EXPENSE of the workers/common people.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:45 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Unfortunately, their lack of following those trends isn't the issue - they're simply losing out to other competition, for many different reasons.
1) Yes, their failure to develop "new technologies" (a buzzword for electric and auto navigation) was mentioned as example of how Ford lags behind.
2) At the same time the question is behind who? As much as I know, Chrysler is constantly bashed and GM doesn't seem to sell millions of Bolt electric cars. Honda stopped selling the Accord in Europe and doesn't seem to dominate the US domestic market like before. VW are still struggling with their own disaster. Even BMW isn't making much progress (Well, I saw one i8 about a month ago). The companies that seem to be thriving are Audi and Mercedes. Toyota are selling Prius (as they did for years), but that is a hybrid.

Last edited by oberon_1; 05-24-2017 at 02:00 AM..

Old 05-24-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
The problem with Ford these days (at least for me personally) is that their fleet of cars has gotten too expensive for the everyday consumer. That, and I believe they sold many of the brands they used to own (like Jag), which helped them stay afloat.

Ford quality has gotten much better over the years in terms of fit-n-finish. The issue is that the prices for the cars themselves are insane for a brand new Ford.

For instance, I wanted to get the new 2017 Mustang GT, and the prices for a premium GT is nearly $50,000. Granted...it's not even a Shelby, but just a regular GT and it's almost 50K new and in 2 years, it'll depreciate to about 20K. For what you get for the cars isn't worth the price and people are turning to the premium brands like BMW and Audi because 50K can get you a fully loaded 3/4 series or an A4/A5. I saw an F150 on the lot that was going for around $65K! Why?!?!

I think that's been Ford's biggest issue as of late. Too expensive for what you get, and they need to seriously upgrade Ford Sync.
You are right. They are expensive indeed. (The F-150 ballooned to epic proportions and is the only pickup built of aluminum. Ford priced it too high in my opinion and here at least they aren't selling like before).
That being said, did you check prices of Audi, BMW and Mercedes? Yet people can't have enough of them. How do you explain this? The Porsche 911 (basic model) is $80-90K and all are sold. Do you know how much a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Cadillac cost?

Old 05-24-2017, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Unfortunately, their lack of following those trends isn't the issue - they're simply losing out to other competition, for many different reasons.
1) Yes, their failure to develop "new technologies" a jargon word for electric and auto navigation was mentioned as a reason Ford lags behind.
2) At the same time the question is behind who? As much as I know, Chrisler is constantly bashed and GM doesn't seem to sell millions of their Bolt electric cars. Honda stopped selling the Accord in Europe and doesn't seem to dominate the US domestic market like before. VW are still struggling with their own disaster. Even BMW isn't making much progress (Well, I saw one i8 about a month ago). The companies that seem to be thriving are Audi and Mercedes. Toyota are selling the Prius (as they did before), but that is a hybrid.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:38 AM

421 posts, read 287,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
How misguided can a post be? Trump was supposed to bring jobs back to Ford? What the **** does that even mean? What does Trump have to do with Ford firing their CEO? This is the problem people, we have a serious education problem in this country and social media is helping make it worse. Now every dumb ass lemming has a platform to spread their false and blatantly wrong information. We are entering the dawn of the DISinformation age and it's only going to get worse. This site is a platform for disinformation.

Seems to be a claim when the news is not positive for Trump.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I bought a used Mercury once. it was a money pit to keep running so I have not bought another ford automobile. I now buy used Chevrolet or Subaru cars. I get them with over 60k miles and drive them until they rust out. That generally takes another 7 to 10 years.

I do not have the money to buy a fancy new car. I also consider PRIUS to be Japanese for slow. No thanks.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:29 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
You are right. They are expensive indeed. (The F-150 ballooned to epic proportions and is the only pickup built of aluminum. Ford priced it too high in my opinion and here at least they aren't selling like before).
That being said, did you check prices of Audi, BMW and Mercedes? Yet people can't have enough of them. How do you explain this? The Porsche 911 (basic model) is $80-90K and all are sold. Do you know how much a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Cadillac cost?
BMW and Audi quality have been on the uprise as of the past few years. Combined with the fact that a well optioned Mustang GT and a Audi A5 are relatively the same price these days (the Audi being about 5-9K more ), most people would opt with the Audi over the Ford.

Even a well optioned Jeep Grand Cherokee is going for around 50K these days. The pricepoints are getting insane, but the quality of American cars are much better than they were 15 years ago.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
BMW and Audi quality have been on the uprise as of the past few years. Combined with the fact that a well optioned Mustang GT and a Audi A5 are relatively the same price these days (the Audi being about 5-9K more ), most people would opt with the Audi over the Ford.

Even a well optioned Jeep Grand Cherokee is going for around 50K these days. The pricepoints are getting insane, but the quality of American cars are much better than they were 15 years ago.
Audi's quality has been mediocre for many years. Their prices are in the sky. Yet people can't have enough of them and no market analyst criticizes them. Is there any logic behind it? These are passing trends and auto customers are sheeple.
On thier part, Ford noticed that Mustangs sell and decided to capitalize on that, jacking their prices. But I don't see how that move differes from other "too big to fail" companies. They are all the same $hit. Ford just happens to be the momentary punching bag after the media frenzy around VW.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
There are many areas that Ford trails behind other makes. They have very little cars that give high MPG like a Prius. They don't have a proper sports sedan to go up against Audi A4, Lexus IS, and BMW 3 series. No coupes for working professionals. They are heavy on truck, SUV, and sports car segments those are low volume movers. Majority of Ford sales come from trucks and not enough from mid-size or compacts. Millennial buyers are increasingly interested in EVs and crossovers.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:15 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There are many areas that Ford trails behind other makes. They have very little cars that give high MPG like a Prius. They don't have a proper sports sedan to go up against Audi A4, Lexus IS, and BMW 3 series. No coupes for working professionals. They are heavy on truck, SUV, and sports car segments those are low volume movers. Majority of Ford sales come from trucks and not enough from mid-size or compacts. Millennial buyers are increasingly interested in EVs and crossovers.
I've noticed this. The crappy part is, Ford's nicest "sporty sedan", the Fusion, is a good car...but no one wants to buy it because it's the same thing as taxi's and cop cars and they're EVERYWHERE. If I had 30K to spend, I don't want to spend it on a car that looks just like the taxicab at the light next to me.

Ford would also do better to either drastically improve the Lincoln brand (the styling is so bland and just copies other luxury brand items 4 years too late) or just drop it and have Ford introduce their A4/S4 or BMW 3/4 series style car.

Bottom line, Ford was doing well from 2010-2013. Mullany left, then Ford got lazy when it came to change. In the auto industry, if you don't change every 5 years, people will move onto other brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies