Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 09:56 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I was so surprised when I read it somewhere, head scarf is really optional.

It looks like it is only a religious symbol when it comes to employment. If the employers want them to remove it, they cry discrimination.
It's only optional before puberty.

This is a Mennonite bonnet which is required to do the same thing as a head scarf (it covers the hair and neck) yet there is no outcry for them to stop wearing it in public.
Attached Thumbnails
Manchester UK Bombing-bonnet.jpg  

Old 05-24-2017, 09:59 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It's only optional before puberty.

This is a Mennonite bonnet which is required to do the same thing as a head scarf (it covers the hair and neck) yet there is no outcry for them to stop wearing it in public.
Again, your second paragraph has nothing to do with the point i was making. By the way, I don't really support banning head scarf of any kind. I think it is silly and counter-productive.

But if you are saying it is only optional before puberty

you might want to read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just found out my grand daughter's school class was singing in that arena a few months ago. She just turned nine years old.

Enough is enough. There was an interesting call-in program on our local radio last night and a decent Muslim man called in and said that none of this is in the Koran. None of this burka-wearing, head scarf wearing, women held in such low regard, men killing in the name of religion--he is 100% against all of it and says we should crack down on it.

This man said that those killers are fanatics (as we know.) He said he wouldn't even mind if he got stopped and profiled if it would serve to stop this killing by people who are giving his religion a bad name. Yes, there are decent Muslims and he is one of them. And he says we need to make them assimilate. Start with banning the stupid clothing, make them learn English, and if the younger ones return to their "home" country (where they become radicalized) put them under surveillance. THEY should be the ones to suffer a bit, not us. This is OUR country, we have built and defended it and they are privileged to be here.
Plus, I've read it somewhere Muslim women are now saying that they don't want to wear head scarf anymore because Trump is now president. They don't want unwanted violence from Trump supporters.
My question is if head scarf is a requirement for their religion, then why do they choose not to wear it because of Trump?

hmmm

Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It looks like the governments (any governments) always want their citizens to settle for less.

That is why they come up with this, The risk of being killed by a foreign-born terrorist is incredibly low
Of course that's true. But that doesn't help the people in the wrong place, at the wrong time, does it? Incidents like this in Manchester are meant to terrorise, which is what terrorists do isn't it?

It has an effect on all people thinking of going where there will be crowds, or of course, flying in airplanes. It is about frightening people, and governments being made to jump through hoops trying to protect the population.

Terrorists know there is little protection from a suicide bomber.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Of course that's true. But that doesn't help the people in the wrong place, at the wrong time, does it? Incidents like this in Manchester are meant to terrorise, which is what terrorists do isn't it?

It has an effect on all people thinking of going where there will be crowds, or of course, flying in airplanes. It is about frightening people, and governments being made to jump through hoops trying to protect the population.

Terrorists know there is little protection from a suicide bomber.
yep

Old 05-24-2017, 10:06 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just found out my grand daughter's school class was singing in that arena a few months ago. She just turned nine years old.

Enough is enough. There was an interesting call-in program on our local radio last night and a decent Muslim man called in and said that none of this is in the Koran. None of this burka-wearing, head scarf wearing, women held in such low regard, men killing in the name of religion--he is 100% against all of it and says we should crack down on it.

This man said that those killers are fanatics (as we know.) He said he wouldn't even mind if he got stopped and profiled if it would serve to stop this killing by people who are giving his religion a bad name. Yes, there are decent Muslims and he is one of them. And he says we need to make them assimilate. Start with banning the stupid clothing, make them learn English, and if the younger ones return to their "home" country (where they become radicalized) put them under surveillance. THEY should be the ones to suffer a bit, not us. This is OUR country, we have built and defended it and they are privileged to be here.
Since all the fanatics in Europe are Men, why are you stuck on the clothing women wear? If we start down the road of banning clothing then we have to include Amish, Mennonite, Hasidics, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, etc...

Old 05-24-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Since all the fanatics in Euro pe are Men, why are you stuck on the clothing women wear? If we start down the road of banning clothing then we have to include Amish, Mennonite, Hasidics, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, etc...
On this, I agree with you. I think banning head scarf is not useful.

I believe in behavior criminal profiling.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:15 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Since all the fanatics in Europe are Men, why are you stuck on the clothing women wear? If we start down the road of banning clothing then we have to include Amish, Mennonite, Hasidics, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, etc...
Because the misogyny in the religion is created by men, just as the religion itself. Islam is created by men and the religious leaders are men. Intended to control women. And the threat is always the same, hell awaits if women dont follow the restrictions laid down by men. In general, the countries with the most misogyny tend to be the worst countries in the world to live in. And that also creates all sorts of extremism. Its not rocket science. If religious men feel that their power, status and privileges are threatened, they will fight back. And yes; industrialization, mass education and the modern world is a huge threat to the religious dinosaurs with power in the muslim communities to control the lives of the masses (all men).

Old 05-24-2017, 10:17 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Why? What terrorist acts are the Amish, Memmonite, Hasidics, Buddhists, Hindus and Sikhs committing?

A clothing ban isn't my thing, but why is the knee jerk reaction that we have to do it tall all religious groups when one very specific one is the issue?

I don't get this sentiment at all.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:17 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
"It must be remembered that after the Norway debate in which Churchill's closing comments were: … let pre-war feuds die; let personal quarrels be forgotten, and let us keep our hatreds for the common enemy. Let party interest be ignored, let all our energies be harnessed, let the whole ability and forces of the nation be hurled into the struggle, and let all the strong horses be pulling on the collar."

Borrowed from the UK forum on city data. What we need is a Churchill.

We don't need a silly Trump who serves to divide us. Or a Hillary either. We need someone strong who isn't afraid to take the bull by the horns and DO something. Why should WE have to live in fear, look over our shoulders, curtail our freedoms, always be vigilant because we might get killed?

The Muslim fanatics need to be stopped and it seems that the reasonable Muslims are (or should be) willing to sacrifice a little bit to help. Remember, these idiotic fanatics make the good Muslims look bad. Everyone else is sacrificing their freedom little by little --you can't carry a backpack, you can't go here, you can't go there, you have to go through a huge hassle to board a plane ever since 9/11, so shouldn't the good Muslims be willing to forego things like wearing burkas (long black sacks with just slits for the eyes) and veils if it would help all of us, including them.

It's not in the Koran that women have to be covered in black from head to toe or even cover their faces. When I hung out with Muslims a few decades ago, the behavior that I saw from the men towards their wives wasn't in the Koran either, I'm sure. I read the Koran out of curiosity. Nothing about serving the men their meal at the table and then scrambling away only to come back and eat their husband's leftover scraps off the plate later on. I knew then that I couldn't be on normal, everyday terms with people like this--I couldn't condone what the men did and, as a woman, I couldn't relate to the way the women behaved either.

They need to assimilate and fit in. We all do. Let's get tough and put a stop to the divisiveness and violence.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:19 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
And how do you know they are all men? By all accounts, the driving force behind the San Bernardino terrorist attack:

Investigators: Wife may have been driving force in deadly San Bernardino rampage | abc7news.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies