Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 06:05 AM

1,194 posts, read 725,917 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there from Colorado that could weigh in whether thats a true statement or not.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:36 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Anyone out there from Colorado that could weigh in whether thats a true statement or not.
It is actually very difficult to answer that question. That's because usage was quite widespread before legalization, even nationally. Now that it is legal in some states more people are coming out of the closet and admitting to using it, but that doesn't necessarily translate to increased use.

If you were to peruse threads about it, and limit your research to Colorado residents only, I think you would find the most common response is "I can't tell much difference since it was legalized".

If you don't limit your research to Colorado residents only, you would find that Colorado has become a s***hole with nothing but homeless problems, and murders caused by those needing their next "marijuana fix". Not to mention all the carnage on the highways.

Last edited by Raddo; 05-23-2017 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Added the highway carnage for the sake of completeness

Old 05-23-2017, 06:49 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
No it's not true. Anyone who believes that is dumb as a box of rocks. Anytime you make something legal it will increase the usage. Many people who wouldn't smoke pot because they wouldn't go buy it illegally are now buying it legally. BTW, I'm not from CO. but this is a no brainer.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:59 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
I just assumed pot usage has increased. I have acquaintances who take pot vacations in CO now. Out of staters can buy a quarter ounce at a time...but it's not cheap.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM

356 posts, read 281,422 times
Like Raddo said, it's a very hard question to answer because more people will admit to usage now than before. There is probably no increase among regular users, as they always had supply available.

Any increase would come from your "casual" smokers who want it now and then or someone who has always wanted to try it but didn't since it was illegal. And of course the out-of-staters who think it's cool to be able to visit and buy legally. But that will wear off as other states legalize pot.

Anyone who says the roads and sidewalks are filled with stoned people and the air smells of pot, hasn't been to Colorado. Everyone seems to be just the same as they always were. And schools have benefitted, especially rural schools where funding is lower than in the cities.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:26 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
Like Raddo said, it's a very hard question to answer because more people will admit to usage now than before. There is probably no increase among regular users, as they always had supply available.

Any increase would come from your "casual" smokers who want it now and then or someone who has always wanted to try it but didn't since it was illegal. And of course the out-of-staters who think it's cool to be able to visit and buy legally. But that will wear off as other states legalize pot.

Anyone who says the roads and sidewalks are filled with stoned people and the air smells of pot, hasn't been to Colorado. Everyone seems to be just the same as they always were. And schools have benefitted, especially rural schools where funding is lower than in the cities.
Colorado resident here and non-pot user. I agree with the bolded. We have a surplus of tax revenue from it. The beer culture is more prevalent than the pot culture. I can't say whether or not more people are using it. I know a few people that used it before it was legalized and it really hasn't changed the amount they consume now. It did increase the transient population but that soon will change with California and Nevada legalizing it.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
I tried to google for you but there is so much information.

You might want to look it up yourself so you are comfortable with the source.

Google everything from Marijuana use in the USA to Marijuana use in Colorado. If you need more tips on how to find the information yourself...let us know. I know folks here can help with the googling.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:00 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I tried to google for you but there is so much information.

You might want to look it up yourself so you are comfortable with the source.

Google everything from Marijuana use in the USA to Marijuana use in Colorado. If you need more tips on how to find the information yourself...let us know. I know folks here can help with the googling.
Googling is fine, but between MsVulcan500, Timmyy, and myself, you already have first-hand information from actual Coloradans, all three saying the same thing: "Everyone seems to be just the same as they always were." Personally, I give those types of comments, coming from where the rubber meets the road, 10X the weight I give any Google results.

So to the OP: Regardless of slight increases, isn't that the bottom line? Especially when you add to these observations the fact the jails aren't full of common citizens with ruined careers who aren't criminals, but simply cannabis users.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:58 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,491,591 times
" Billboards Here In Massachusetts Advertising That "POT" Use Has Not Increased Since Legalization In Colorado-Is It True? "

I haven't been up there in 11 months, but I am a tax paying part time resident (in rural southern Colorado). Of course, it's increased, the pot tourism industry alone proves the billboard statement ridiculous. There was always a lot of pot smoking in Colorado, but I noticed a major shift when they passed medical (what a farce). The major difference I see with the legal recreational laws? More bums and more garage/backyard greenhouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies