Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:57 AM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Ha! There really is a sucker born every minute.
Please show me how a true libertarian is "pro business." I'm a libertarian. I'm not "pro business." I'm pro choice. You libs have heard that little phrase before, right? "Pro choice"? And since you seem to wield it selectively and hypocritically, let me respond with one of your own tenets/declarations:

*LIB DECLARATION: I'm not pro abortion, I'm pro choice. I believe in every woman having the right to choose. That does not mean I'm an advocate of abortion.

(I'm sure you "get" that, right? After all, it's a huge liberal motto.)

*LIBERTARIAN DECLARATION: I'm not pro big business. I'm pro choice. I believe every individual should have the right to choose. That does not mean I'm an advocate of big business.

NOW, by your own logic (liberal logic), as I've used a common yet far too selective liberal philosophy, hopefully you will understand why a libertarian is not "pro big business." This same logic applies to most topics when it comes to libertarianism. Just think of a libertarian as taking the same stand you take with abortion on all the important matters of life in general (we have the right to choose), provided that choice doesn't prevent others from having the same choice. This would include your one-size-fits-all health care slavery proposals, thus a libertarian would never support it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 08:58 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This is how the UK got single payer - one province/district at a time. As the kinks got worked out - more and more joined in.
From what I've read, the U.K. may not be able to start single payer today. In fact they are thinking of raising more tax to fund NHS.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corerius View Post
Perhaps you have an accurate break-down then?
Quote:
U.S. health care spending grew 5.8 percent in 2015, reaching $3.2 trillion or $9,990 per person. As a share of the nation's Gross Domestic Product, health spending accounted for 17.8 percent.
https://www.cms.gov/research-statist...istorical.html

Old 05-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
From what I've read, the U.K. may not be able to start single payer today. In fact they are thinking of raising more tax to fund NHS.
People are thinking of alot of things. Americans still pay far, far more in taxes to pay for health care than the British though. The Brits pay less than $3000 per person per year in health care taxes to fund their single payer system. Americans pay almost $5000 per person per year in healthcare taxes.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:04 AM

345 posts, read 250,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Interestingly, I was quoting from the same site while you were.

I'm still not seeing a breakdown of Kardashian plastic surgery (ie. something realistically not covered in a national plan) vs. real healthcare. Is drug company advertising in a table there somewhere?

edit: As an aside, it seems to me that if you are correct in saying that US healthcare expenses are inflated by conflating non-health costs, potentially the US is just as efficient as Europe in spending.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I'm still not seeing a breakdown of Kardashian plastic surgery (ie. something realistically not covered in a national plan) vs. real healthcare. Is drug company advertising in a table there somewhere?
Its all health care spending in America, by individuals, companies, governments, nothing is excluded. Not elective plastic surgery, not marketing costs and not anything else.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:10 AM

345 posts, read 250,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its all health care spending in America, by individuals, companies, governments, nothing is excluded. Not elective plastic surgery, not marketing costs and not anything else.
Ok.

So how much is spent on what would be considered necessary healthcare?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:10 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
New Yorkers are rich. They can afford it.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:

edit: As an aside, it seems to me that if you are correct in saying that US healthcare expenses are inflated by conflating non-health costs, potentially the US is just as efficient as Europe in spending.
No, all health care spending is included in all countries to make it comparable.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Ok.

So how much is spent on what would be considered necessary healthcare?
Whats necessary healthcare? Braces? Eye checkup? Hospitals selling you treatments and stuff you dont need but which increases the profit margins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies