Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:00 PM

9,732 posts, read 9,680,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm glad it's an option too for people/families who are drowning in medical debts, but dire Trump.
How many millions of people were permitted to short-sell their home during the last recession and stiff they banks for the balance and not pay tax on what was "foregiven"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 01:02 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,114,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I agree. Healthcare bills can pile up quickly.
It's not just that, although that is one of the primary reasons for individuals filing for bankruptcy. The other is job loss.

As for Trump - he NEVER declared personal bankruptcy. His businesses did. There is a difference.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:06 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,544,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
It's not just that, although that is one of the primary reasons for individuals filing for bankruptcy. The other is job loss.

As for Trump - he NEVER declared personal bankruptcy. His businesses did. There is a difference.
I know the difference.

To me it sounds like he isn't very good at running his own businesses by filing multiple Chapter 11s.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:09 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,218,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
who declared bankruptcy at least 6 times? Putin and the Russian Mafia that is who/whom.

Wake up all you who are asleep.
And yet you enjoy paying taxes to an entity that is swimming in debt, incompetent, and couldn't finish one of its over-priced projects on time if you gave them a deadline of eternity.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:11 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,390,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I know the difference.

To me it sounds like he isn't very good at running his own businesses by filing multiple Chapter 11s.
lmao..So I guess NASA wasn't very successful with all those failed rocket launches either then.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
And yet you enjoy paying taxes to an entity that is swimming in debt, incompetent, and couldn't finish one of its over-priced projects on time if you gave them a deadline of eternity.
BOOM! Mic Drop for sure!

Old 05-23-2017, 01:13 PM

I'm assuming the OP was perfectly fine with the government forcing loans to be loaned to people who couldn't pay them back?

Old 05-23-2017, 01:17 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,544,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
lmao..So I guess NASA wasn't very successful with all those failed rocket launches either then.
You are comparing NASA to a business run by Trump?

Old 05-23-2017, 01:29 PM

13,674 posts, read 8,935,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post

True (personal bankruptcy), although to the creditors that lost money, it probably did not make them feel better to know that Mr. Trump's personal assets were safe, while the companies he led went under.

Let us recall a man of character, Samuel Clemens, or "Mark Twain", whom I like to cite.

Mr. Clemens once got into dire financial difficulties. Many of his friends and advisors recommended that he declare bankruptcy. He did so. However, he also declared that none of his creditors would lose a dime. He divested himself of most of his personal assets, but retaining his copyrights (as per agreement with the creditors), and spent the next three years circling the globe to earn money to pay his creditors back (he was 66 when he started the tour, considered an old man in those days).

At the end of those three years, Mr. Twain had paid back every dime he owed. He knew that, as a writer and observer of the human condition, his stock in trade was his integrity, and he was determined to keep it.

To descend into a financial state where your corporation (a legal entity created to limit liability, after all) must resort to bankruptcy, can be seen as unfortunate, for the first filing.

If the same person files for a second bankruptcy, eyebrows must be raised. Third time? Fourth time? Fifth time? Sixth time?

After six times, it is no longer a series of unfortunate events. It starts to smell of a continuing criminal enterprise. Something smells rotten.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:36 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,114,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
True (personal bankruptcy), although to the creditors that lost money, it probably did not make them feel better to know that Mr. Trump's personal assets were safe, while the companies he led went under.

Let us recall a man of character, Samuel Clemens, or "Mark Twain", whom I like to cite.

Mr. Clemens once got into dire financial difficulties. Many of his friends and advisors recommended that he declare bankruptcy. He did so. However, he also declared that none of his creditors would lose a dime. He divested himself of most of his personal assets, but retaining his copyrights (as per agreement with the creditors), and spent the next three years circling the globe to earn money to pay his creditors back (he was 66 when he started the tour, considered an old man in those days).

At the end of those three years, Mr. Twain had paid back every dime he owed. He knew that, as a writer and observer of the human condition, his stock in trade was his integrity, and he was determined to keep it.

To descend into a financial state where your corporation (a legal entity created to limit liability, after all) must resort to bankruptcy, can be seen as unfortunate, for the first filing.

If the same person files for a second bankruptcy, eyebrows must be raised. Third time? Fourth time? Fifth time? Sixth time?

After six times, it is no longer a series of unfortunate events. It starts to smell of a continuing criminal enterprise. Something smells rotten.

While I can understand your perspective on Trumps businesses (note: multiple, more than one) I respectfully disagree. If one company files many times, that may be an indication of problems. But multiple companies filing once each? Even twice - does not indicate there are nefarious practices, but perhaps a risky venture that didn't pan out. To truly state one way or the other would require intimate knowledge of each bk filed.

And while Mr. Clemens is to be admired for his actions - he was (admittedly) famous at the time of his financial difficulties and had the resources to 'circle the globe' selling his works. Most people who file bankruptcy don't have that option. Sometimes there is just not enough a person can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies