Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 03:26 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
More people to work --> increased household formation (unemployed slacker Junior gets a job, gets paycheck, moves out of mommy's basement) --> rental vacancy rate falls --> landlords respond to lower vacancy by increasing rents --> renters worse off + displacement, overcrowding, and homelessness

Your scenario definitely plays out in places with progressive land use policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 05:26 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
I didn't ask Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama, nor Trump for help.
After I graduated high school, I struggled to get a job because I didn't have any work experience or had skills that employers would want. I asked Obama for help. One of his aides, a DemocRAT suggested I live off government support. Told them I wasn't interested. The next aide, another DemocRAT, suggested I lie on a resume. I looked up companies that recently closed down and put it on my resume. Also, and embellished my skills. I applied to jobs that I knew how to do. Surprisingly, it worked. Had I not put a fake job history on my resume, it would be #500 that got rejected or have no response, and I would still be struggling to look for work. (This was the year that Obama ran for re-election).

From what I learned, it shows that the DemocRAT party wants to keep everyone on government welfare support, or is filled with dirty lying crooks that cheats their way to power. I stuck with being an independent for a few years after I graduated high school as I didn't care about politics that much. As time moved on, I became more disappointed in Obama's (and the DemocRAT's) handling of the economy (and handling of the country overall), so I went hardcore republican.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Why don't you find another job if you feel like it's a dead-end job? Why are you still there?

I never understood people like you. I graduated college in Aug 2006 and i have job hopped and every time it was a pay increase and job title promotion. (Going to college is a self-investment so you need to determine if it is right for you. I received scholarships, grants and took out loans. I also worked part-time to pay out of pocket tuition.) Recently, i paid off my student loan and i am debt free. I have a solid career in supply chain management. I didn't ask Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama, nor Trump for help.

I searched and applied for the jobs and i got them. I went on interviews that didn't pan out, applied for jobs that never responded back, etc. I never gave up; i kept on moving.

I remember i worked a job where i quit after ONE day. After one day, i knew it was not for me. Daily attendance by a HR assistant at 8;15 am (after 3 lateness you were fired), no vacation days to start (you have to work 6 full months to get 5 paid days). 45 min lunch break. You work was timed. No thanks.

Since college i have worked 7 professional jobs. All of them a steeping stone to something better.

You need an attitude adjustment!
I would guess and say he feels he is owed a good job.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:32 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,300,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
President Trump’s first official budget proposal relies on a lot more people working—whether they want to or not.

The $4.1 trillion federal budget Trump is sending to Capitol Hill aims to raise economic growth from the current weak level of around 2% to 3% or more. That will require more people working and generating economic output.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/messa...022438684.html
Well, you just hit on the problem: A lot of people would rather live on the largesse of others than work.

Obama gave them phones, money, free health care ...why work?

Old 05-26-2017, 05:33 PM

8,223 posts, read 3,485,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I'm not a networker and I never will be because I'm not an introvert who can be a pseudo extrovert.

I don't even have to work at standing out. In fact it's an effort to fit in. Here's the problem whenever I show my real self people treat me like the plague. As an introvert I operate by a don't ask don't tell policy at least IRL (it's easier to write online anonymously) so it's an effort for me to just go up to employers let alone take a huge risk like that.
I'm always honest because I don't know how to lie and many people do lie during interviews. I also thought about explaining myself further in ways that show my uniqueness. I brought it up with a coach. I said "maybe I should mention to them examples of how much I am a hard worker and how reliable I am" they tell me "no no that's going in too deep. you have to have short answers" I say "I have to stand out though. anyone can say they're a hard worker" but still everyone tells me just saying my qualities is good enough.
Maybe your example works because you are proving your work history so if you have little professional experience like I do it won't work esp if you have a disorder because they get concerned I will ask for too many accommodations.

Yes, I am treated like a freak and have been all of my life. I've never fit in anywhere. I walked on eggshells all my childhood trying to fit in and trying to avoid another beating. I started growing a beard when I was around ten/eleven years old, and that just made it worse. People have to be willing to be friendly towards you in order to "network."

Old 05-27-2017, 12:35 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Why get a job when you can start a fake university and cheat people out of millions of dollars. He's such a role model.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:34 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,943,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
People keep said job but move back to the basement. Unless trump is creating more fed jobs this announcement has no real meaning. Private sector is not hiring ... unless you have some skill that is extremely niche and they don't have to train you.
Where do you live? That isn't the situation here.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:26 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Where do you live? That isn't the situation here.
I suppose thats not 100% accurate, there are mcjobs here and there but there are not too many real job postings and I am guessing when there are there are likely at least 100 people applying.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:31 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
By the way, where are all those Jobs the Prez was going to create magically?
They are at Burger King, McDonalds, and Sonic. The kicker is that you will need 3-4 of these jobs just to stay afloat. Aint' it grand?

Old 05-31-2017, 09:42 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Most of the people on welfare are already working full-time jobs.

The stepping stones that once led out of poverty have fallen away, and will never be replaced until wages begin keeping up with the cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies