Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 07:04 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not so good for burger flippers and for low-wage workers generally.

Those jobs aren't meant to be careers. They are for kids in school to make some cash, or kids in college to help pay for their tuition.

If you stick with a burger flipping job for 20 years and you are still flipping burgers and not in management, that is no one else fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 07:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Now what?

You have a college degree and NOW want someone else to "fix" what YOU chose as a major and can't do any better then minimum wage.

What I chose to major in served its purpose perfectly - it got me into law school, but I couldn't afford to actually GO to law school. How do I "fix" the "can't afford law school" problem?

Old 06-01-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Those jobs aren't meant to be careers. They are for kids in school to make some cash, or kids in college to help pay for their tuition.

If you stick with a burger flipping job for 20 years and you are still flipping burgers and not in management, that is no one else fault.

Someone should tell employers that. Census data say that as of 2012, 48.5 percent of all minimum wage workers were 25 or older.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
What I chose to major in served its purpose perfectly - it got me into law school, but I couldn't afford to actually GO to law school. How do I "fix" the "can't afford law school" problem?

I want a 39' Cigarette Top Gun with twin 700's , and there is no way I can afford that. How do I "fix" the "can't afford a Cigarette" problem ?

If I lost my job permanently and had to change careers I'd have to go back an get a degree. I can't afford to be off of work, go to school and keep my house so who is going to help me with that ? Not anyone but myself.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Someone should tell employers that. Census data say that as of 2012, 48.5 percent of all minimum wage workers were 25 or older.
And I'm sure in many of those cases, it was their choice.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:12 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
*takes out federally-backed student loans*
"I didn't need any help from the federal government to get where I am today"
Good catch!

Old 06-01-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Your scenario definitely plays out in places with progressive land use policies.

Homeowners have vested financial and lifestyle interests in minimizing the proximate supply of neighbors of economic means inferior to their own. In this regard, conservative and liberal homeowners are similar and on this issue they tend to agree.

The difference between conservatives and progressives on zoning and land use policies generally is in their attitudes toward development and developers. Liberals tend to consider developers evil and development a bad thing, conservatives are more favorably inclined.

Progressive governance = homeowners prevail over developers, landlords, and the poor.

Conservative governance = homeowners, developers, and landlords compete in more balanced competition for power, allowing the poor to benefit by having more housing options.

If power becomes unbalanced - if developers and/or landlords become more powerful than homeowners desire, homeowners vote progressive in order to rein in the developers and landlords. I've seen this personally. I lived in a Republican town that started electing Democrats when they thought there was "too much" local development.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:28 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:

Take a paralegal course and go into that field. With the amount of time you spend here whinging endlessly in post after post about your situation I'm sure you would excel in the data entry field as well.

The forum has run out of empathy for you because the years tick by and you are standing still, repeating the same excuses you gave last year and the year before that and the year before that. Get off your duff and make a freakin' plan already.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And I'm sure in many of those cases, it was their choice.

Then employers disagree with you. Employers have decided that those jobs should be a career.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:34 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
Trumps "budget" is political theater. The GOP Congress already wiped their heinie's with it and tossed it in the bin. ANY conversation about it is pissing in the wind.

If Trump stops Tweeting long enough to generate a budget that can actually pass, even his supporters would be shocked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies