Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:22 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times

Advertisements

Enough with the bleeding heart nam stories. Homeless have been using it for 30 years and it's toast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Please read the op before commenting.

He didn't mention one word about PTSD or homeless

sheesh

Old 05-23-2017, 09:28 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Enough with the bleeding heart nam stories. Homeless have been using it for 30 years and it's toast.
Well then I guess you already know what people think of Your opinion on the matter.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:53 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Disagree.

Actions have consequences. Personally, I am uncomfortable with the general response to Vietnam vets as many of them were stupid, naive 18-year-old kids who were drafted or just didn't know what they were getting into. My dad served in Vietnam. He didn't know what he was getting into and went in so he'd have more control of where he ended up rather than being drafted. He served his tour and used the GI bill to do something with his life rather than become an alcoholic druggie.

That said, you went back with full knowledge hoping America would wake up and support Vietnam. Sorry, but not. Vietnam was a stupid war. Doubling down on that doesn't change that it's a stupid war.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:58 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Disagree.

Actions have consequences. Personally, I am uncomfortable with the general response to Vietnam vets as many of them were stupid, naive 18-year-old kids who were drafted or just didn't know what they were getting into. My dad served in Vietnam. He didn't know what he was getting into and went in so he'd have more control of where he ended up rather than being drafted. He served his tour and used the GI bill to do something with his life rather than become an alcoholic druggie.

That said, you went back with full knowledge hoping America would wake up and support Vietnam. Sorry, but not. Vietnam was a stupid war. Doubling down on that doesn't change that it's a stupid war.
well, I don't think op expected anybody to support the war.

I think his point is that, anytime public opinion becomes outraged over some injustice, the government will find one scapegoat. Better that than have their rotten system exposed.

The treatment of veterans should not be related to the popularity of that war. The ww2 vets are considered war hero, every single one of them. Vietnam vet and new generation of veterans came from ME, not so much.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-23-2017 at 10:06 PM..

Old 05-24-2017, 04:54 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
Vietnam vets were the scapegoats for a war and a counter culture Americans were angry at. I remember vets returning home to be rejected, protested against and vilified. My brother-in-law came home with PTSD and all he encountered was disdain and disrespect. I remember family arguments, my aunt proclaiming to my dad that she would personally drive her nephews to Canada before letting them be drafted into a senseless war where we had no business being. Those were BAD times. And People who have not served have no inkling what the experience of war has on someone's life. Not everyone can shake it off and not be effected by those experiences. War has long term consequences. The least service members deserve is respect and recognition but far too often they are still viewed as losers by many.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:46 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Thank you JimChi for your service and excellent post!

I was a strong protester of the Vietnam war, but became horrified and disgusted at the treatment of you vets.
That behavior of the left and its hate-filled and self-righteous indoctrination toward returning vets was my first experience of the dark side of liberalism, and it helped start me becoming more independent in my thinking and politics.

I see liberals doing a similar hate-fest behavior toward our police and any law enforcement policy or political group that doesn't fit their agenda.

I am so sorry you had to experience that, but it looks like you matured into a wise adult.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:50 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I guess I should support Charles Manson since he is an American.
Do you ever have anything constructive to say?

Old 05-24-2017, 05:51 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,742 times
The chief sponsor of North Vietnam, Russia, is now our friend.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:02 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thank you JimChi for your service and excellent post!

I was a strong protester of the Vietnam war, but became horrified and disgusted at the treatment of you vets.
That behavior of the left and its hate-filled and self-righteous indoctrination toward returning vets was my first experience of the dark side of liberalism, and it helped start me becoming more independent in my thinking and politics.

I see liberals doing a similar hate-fest behavior toward our police and any law enforcement policy or political group that doesn't fit their agenda.

I am so sorry you had to experience that, but it looks like you matured into a wise adult.
Please rethink this a bit. That dark side may not be as all-encompassing as you seem to think.

I am a strong liberal, and I hate war, but I don't hate our service men and women. They, probably more than anyone else, would love to see a more peaceful world. The way the Vietnam vets were treated was horrible, particularly in light of the fact that many, if not most, were drafted. I don't see many people in military uniform in my daily life, but when I do, I thank them. I don't expect our country to be invaded, but if it ever was, they would be there, protecting all of us.

We don't - at least the vast majority of us - hate the police. We do hate it when individual officers abuse the power with which they have been entrusted, and when people in authority assist them in doing so. You should hate that, too. Every thinking person should hate that. But police in general? No hate here. I usually wave at them when I see them on the road. They might save my life one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies