Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 12:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
It still doesn't mean it is used as contraception.

And you avoided answering my question :
If 47% of women having abortions have had more than one, then most of them are most likely not using birth control.

I'd rather they use birth control and the majority wouldn't have a need for an abortion.

Your question is like asking if I'd prefer for people who binge to get fat, rather than purge. I'd prefer they not overeat in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 01:26 PM

18,415 posts, read 7,050,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Wrong? I'm not sure I used that word did I? I simply noted facts. Facts are never wrong, they just are what they are.
It was a rhetorical question.

Not directed at you personally.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:29 PM

1,349 posts, read 661,587 times
Quote:
Not even close.
Just read.

Legal or Not, Abortion Rates Compare - The New York Times

Quote:
After the discovery of penicillin not very many .
Seriously? If you mean that, it's hardly possible to have an interesting debate.

Penicillin?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0088741/

So what you mean is that women don't die as much as they could be expected to ? Well, good for them, no?

Not very many? see the article above. And don't tell me it's NYT and not acceptable as numbers, I am trying very hard to debate with you in a language that isn't mine, ok? search for counter numbers, i'll be happy to know about those.

Quote:
A simple NO.
Quote:

I support the widespread use of contraceptives and sex education as do most. A life ends in every abortion. Not the case if you do not wear a seat belt.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3194801/

Hawaii's abortion drop coincides with sex education changes - Washington Times

That seems/looks right if one doesn't look "rationnally" which is what you seem to advocate, as any emotional argument does.

As for abortion killing a life, well no, still. Who knows that this "baby in coming" will not be miscarried (1/3 potential pregnancies are)

So, can we agree that is the way to go?

And as you say, be responsible and accept that women very vastly choose a horrible choice in RESPONSABILITY?

Old 05-25-2017, 03:06 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
I misunderstood what you were saying.

Quote:
Seriously? If you mean that, it's hardly possible to have an interesting debate.

Penicillin?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0088741/

So what you mean is that women don't die as much as they could be expected to ? Well, good for them, no?

Not very many? see the article above. And don't tell me it's NYT and not acceptable as numbers, I am trying very hard to debate with you in a language that isn't mine, ok? search for counter numbers, i'll be happy to know about those.
Women do NOT die today because of treatment. This is still happening with abortion. You still need follow up. So, the question was how many women died pre-RVW. It wasn't many because of the development of medicine.

Quote:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3194801/

Hawaii's abortion drop coincides with sex education changes - Washington Times

That seems/looks right if one doesn't look "rationnally" which is what you seem to advocate, as any emotional argument does.

As for abortion killing a life, well no, still. Who knows that this "baby in coming" will not be miscarried (1/3 potential pregnancies are)

So, can we agree that is the way to go?

And as you say, be responsible and accept that women very vastly choose a horrible choice in RESPONSABILITY?
A life ends with every abortion. This should also, being a fact, be a part of one's education. I am NOT against education or pregnancy control

Old 05-25-2017, 03:20 PM

1,204 posts, read 870,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I've never ever heard anyone connecting pro-life/anti-abortion with taking someone off of life support.

The owner may be confused, but don't assume pro-lifers think taking someone off of life support is murder.

Probably didn't make my point clear(being treated for vertigo at present)---------- he and his wife are the extreme edge that until the other shoe hits the ground, they are holier than thou.

I don't believe that vast majority of pro-lifers feel that way. Just as the vast majority of pro-choicers are not murderous accomplishes.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:21 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,218,937 times
That is correct. It is a behavioral control tool, like all things religious.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:23 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,126,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I am beginning to believe the issue at the core of the "Pro-Life" movement is abstinence, not abortion. The hard-core pro-lifers are also against birth control, support abstinence-only sex-ed, and will shame any girl who gets pregnant, even if they keep the baby, because they dared to defy the rules of the fundamentalists and have sex before marriage. They oppose free distribution of things such as condoms to help prevent unwanted pregnancies. Why else would they shame teenagers who get pregnant? They should be supportive of them for keeping the baby but instead they consider them "whores" because they had sex.

That's also why they also support laws making it harder to adopt children and oppose helping those who choose to have their babies. It's not about the children. It's about controlling women. They want to make sure life is as difficult as possible for young women who have sex out of wedlock.

Now I want to say I don't think this is the case for all pro-lifers. There are some pro-life arguments I actually am sympathetic to. However, it seems the most vocal conservative pro-lifers are really about promoting a society where women stay pure until marriage, as the Bible demands.
I didn't know they oppose help to those who choose to have their babies. I'm using to the hypocrisy of Conservatives, but that's a startling example.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Probably didn't make my point clear(being treated for vertigo at present)---------- he and his wife are the extreme edge that until the other shoe hits the ground, they are holier than thou.

I don't believe that vast majority of pro-lifers feel that way. Just as the vast majority of pro-choicers are not murderous accomplishes.
I understand now. Boy, you gotta love the holy rollers. None of them ever adhere to the 'never say never' principle and it often comes back to bite them in the behind.

Hope your vertigo clears up soon - that's got to be annoying.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,789,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't know. That is why I am exploring the topic with you good people!

Ok. Good food for thought.

Ok. Fair. BUT. Do we not also adhere to the notion that killing is wrong? Your example is not killing if the child would die anyway. But, common or not, late term abortions ARE done casually.
I don't believe the bold. No one knows the reasons why women have late term abortions (which I consider to be beyond 20 weeks gestation).

As stated earlier I know people who have had this procedure done. All who have had it done, it was NOT done casually. Most people if they are that far along in the pregnancy, they know they are pregnant and they want a baby.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:58 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,789,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
One could be a hypocrite yes.

Or......one could simply believe in not insisting on making their own personal views mandatory for everyone via legislation.....

Although this is an admittedly difficult concept for some people to wrap their brain around.
If the bold is what you believe (in regards to wanting exceptions for abortion even though you claim to be "pro-life") then you actually aren't "pro-life." You are pro-choice.

The bold is how I feel about abortion. I personally would not want to do it but I don't want my personal views mandatory for all of our society.

The fact that pro-lifers want to make their personal views mandatory for the whole of society is a negative on them IMO and due to that the position is not one I respect. But I at least will respect those more who don't have this "exception" idea in their minds. If you think it is murder, it should always be murder and you shouldn't want it to occur. If you think certain circumstances/situations, that it is warranted, then you are not pro-life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies