Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:10 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
An unthinking reaction is momentary. A racist diatribe where you attack multiple people is not an impulse.
That's not the point. The point is do we deserve to have our every moment potentially recorded and posted to the world to put us on trial? Maybe not in this case, but I do believe people can use insensitive terms in a fit of anger. I remember a few years ago, Jonah Hill used a derogatory word for gay people out of anger and frustration over harassing paparazzi. It did not reflect his true feelings about gay people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 09:19 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
That's not the point. The point is do we deserve to have our every moment potentially recorded and posted to the world to put us on trial? Maybe not in this case, but I do believe people can use insensitive terms in a fit of anger. I remember a few years ago, Jonah Hill used a derogatory word for gay people out of anger and frustration over harassing paparazzi. It did not reflect his true feelings about gay people.
While I agree with you to a tee, this lady does seem like she is an actual racist. The "was i just called ignorant by a n word" and the whole "this is america go back to your country" thing says it all.

Some people are just racist. Can't really do anything about it other than just let them be in their own little hateful world.

But I hope nothing bad happens to the racist lady. She sadly has the right to her opinion.

But I agree. I don't think this needed to be put on the front page of the news and going viral everywhere. It does no one any good in either situation. And who knows if that racist lady has a family or kids who aren't racist, and some crazy person goes after the racist lady. That ain't right, either.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I don't think you really have a point.

We are entitled to our privacy, so we do not deserve to have our every moment recorded.

However, this woman wasn't acting in the privacy of her home, she was acting badly in a public venue.

She wasn't blind, so she could see the phone aimed at her, recording what she said.

It wasn't a momentary lapse, it was a prolonged diatribe. Long enough that the victim had time to get her camera out and start recording. Long enough that other shoppers tried to intercede. Long enough that the manager came and remonstrated with her.

An individual uploaded that recording to social media. It wasn't e-mailed to news services, the victim didn't call reporters. The victim simply put it out there, and like many viral postings it took on a life of its own. The woman who made the choice to behave badly may regret her behavior now, and may regret it for the rest of her life, but she made the choice. I have no doubt that it reflected her true feelings.

And while people who know her personally may know her identity, she remains anonymous to the world at this point. The outrage will die down. Her life will go on. She may not get to shop at Walmart stores again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies