Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 07:28 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Translation ~ I can't discuss or defend the current Republican plan so I will deflect to the history of Obamacare.
I have actually not had much opportunity to look at the plan.

I have, however, had lots of opportunity to see what happens when Da Gubbamint decides to "help" me.

I note you do not deny any of the actual history of BO care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Exactly. And we see this kind of response again and again and again. We get it. The ACA has flaws; flaws that Republicans have absolutely zero interest in addressing or fixing. Fine. Then let's move on to where we go from here.
I never saw much interest by Democrats in fixing ACA flaws, either. What Democratic legislator proposed legislation that would have restored to me and my family the healthcare plans we had prior to the effective date of the ACA? BO assured us that would happen. Funny how Democrats expect Republicans to fix legislation that didn't get one Republican vote.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
CBO: Republican health care bill raises premiums for older, poor Americans by as much as 850%
850% ??? They should be ashamed of themselves.

No wonder they rushed the vote before this information came out. They knew the truth would destroy their chances of getting it passed.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-25-2017 at 07:44 AM..

Old 05-25-2017, 07:39 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Exactly. And we see this kind of response again and again and again. We get it. The ACA has flaws; flaws that Republicans have absolutely zero interest in addressing or fixing. Fine. Then let's move on to where we go from here.

But you won't get an honest discussion about that because just like their representatives in Washington, they have no constructive ideas. All they're capable of is regurgitating the same old lame and nonproductive talking point responses which accomplish nothing.

Meanwhile, the Republicans are busy trying their hardest to take healthcare away from millions of people. But that's not important when there is political hay to be made. That is much more important.
If you voluntarily burn your house down, I am not obligated to help you build another. The ACA is not the problem of the GOP.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:41 AM

345 posts, read 250,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Translation ~ I can't discuss or defend the current Republican plan so I will deflect to the history of Obamacare.
I think it's fair to do in this case. After all, the 850% rise is from Obamacare rates.

Obamacare isn't sustainable, so something is going to give. There's no guarantee that any new plan is either humane or sustainable itself.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:49 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well I was previously assured that if I liked my healthcare plan, I could keep my health care plan. That did not happen. I was promised $2500 annually in savings, that didn't happen. I am now expected to believe the current utterances from DC?

"You can't do it political, you just literally cannot do it. Transparent financing and also transparent spending. I mean, this bill was written in a tortured way to make sure CBO did not score the mandate as taxes. If CBO scored the mandate as taxes the bill dies. Okay? So it’s written to do that," Gruber said. "In terms of risk rated subsidies, if you had a law which said that healthy people are going to pay in, you made explicit healthy people pay in and sick people get money, it would not have passed. Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really really critical to get for the thing to pass. Look, I wish Mark was right that we could make it all transparent, but I’d rather have this law than not."

Jonathan Gruber
Here's this nonsense. It goes like this: The ACA didn't do exactly what I was told it was going to do. Irregardless of how much worse the new bill is, we should just do it because the ACA didn't accomplish everything it set out to do.

There's a missing causal link between the ACA failing and the AHCA fixing any of its failings. It would actually make them worse. But the binary thinking of Cult 45 is ACA bad therefore anything else good.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:50 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corerius View Post
I think it's fair to do in this case. After all, the 850% rise is from Obamacare rates.

Obamacare isn't sustainable, so something is going to give. There's no guarantee that any new plan is either humane or sustainable itself.
No, it's not. It's the increase that will happen over the cost of premiums right now if the GOP healthcare plan is enacted. It will effectively price the majority of people between the ages of 50 and 65 out of the market.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:53 AM

345 posts, read 250,322 times
Quote:
No, it's not. It's the increase that will happen over the cost of premiums right now if the GOP healthcare plan is enacted. It will effectively price the majority of people between the ages of 50 and 65 out of the market.
So, the 'premiums right now' have nothing to do with the ACA?

Taking a quick look at the article, what I'm seeing is basically a return to pre-ACA rates.

It was super-common for people in their 60's to pay $1000+/month for individual policies, at least I know quite a few people who were in that boat.

Last edited by Corerius; 05-25-2017 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-25-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Here's this nonsense. It goes like this: The ACA didn't do exactly what I was told it was going to do. Irregardless of how much worse the new bill is, we should just do it because the ACA didn't accomplish everything it set out to do.

There's a missing causal link between the ACA failing and the AHCA fixing any of its failings. It would actually make them worse. But the binary thinking of Cult 45 is ACA bad therefore anything else good.
Actually, it goes like this ..... We lied to you stupid people about the ACA, but oh well. Now that it's a reality, you should not make any attempts to change it because it will suck even worse, and it will be Republicans that are at fault.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:58 AM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Old = people 50+ in their plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies