Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
In short, ...

1. You need people who are hurting,
A nation of carnage would be full of them. If they are not hurting, make them believe they are.

Quote:
2. You need an enemy to blame. Hitler declared the Jewish people were to blame much like the left declares the rich (and the republicans) are to blame today.
Immigrants, muslims, media and democrats seem to be the enemy of choice.

Quote:
3. You also need control of the media who espouses constant negative rhetoric against their perceived enemy.
FOX, Breitbart, talk show hosts and countless web sites

Quote:
4. Then you need a great speaker. In terms of speaking style, Hitler ramped up his speeches, Trump is not a political poet.
You mean a speaker who draws big crowds.

You might be onto something here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 10:35 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
That's not what I said....

I said he does not know how to control the media. That is his worst trait at president. he is seeing them as his enemies instead of as an avenue to spell out his message to the American public.
Seriously? the media is not supposed to be a wing of the government. Read this....

When Obama was running against Hillary (they wanted Obama)
Chris Matthews on Hillary Clinton: "The reason she's a U.S. senator, the reason she's a candidate for president, the reason she may be a front-runner is her husband messed around. That's how she got to be senator from New York. We keep forgetting it. She didn't win there on her merit."
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/...e_reason_shes/

Now they want Hillary (who didn't get there on her merit) as president
Chris Matthews said: "If you're watching, Madam Secretary, all three of us have brilliant ideas. All of us have brilliant ideas. And I especially put myself in that group with Joan and David. We know how to do this, we’ll get you in there."
'We'll Get You In There' in 2016 Chris Matthews Tells Hillary Clinton

Old 05-26-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
That's not what I said....

I said he does not know how to control the media. That is his worst trait at president. he is seeing them as his enemies instead of as an avenue to spell out his message to the American public.
It is a known fact that the majority of the media is liberal and they thought they were going to control the election and they wanted Hillary.

One way to gain unlimited power over the people is to control the media. Dictators always control the media. Silence opposing views.

Last edited by petch751; 05-26-2017 at 10:50 AM..

Old 05-26-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
A nation of carnage would be full of them. If they are not hurting, make them believe they are.
So you believe the middle class (who always gets to pay the bill) isn't hurting?

Quote:
Immigrants, muslims, media and democrats seem to be the enemy of choice.
Do you know the difference between illegal and legal. No one has a problem with legal immigration. We should know who is coming here. As for Muslims, do you have a problem with a better vetting system?

Quote:
FOX, Breitbart, talk show hosts and countless web sites
MSNBC, ABC, CNN, Vox, Huffpost, New York Times, and on and on, ... do I really need to list all the liberal media outlets?

Quote:
You mean a speaker who draws big crowds.
Ah yes, Bernie and Trump both drew big crowds. Hillary not so much but the elites wanted her to win.

I hear Bernie supporters are suing the DNC

Old 05-26-2017, 10:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Seriously? the media is not supposed to be a wing of the government.
Again, I have had experience with public agencies. I've also worked with/for elected officials.

To control the media you "control the message." You frame the message how you want to frame it. You deliver it in a calming matter. You answer any/all questions with as short an answer as possible and then redirect back to your message.

That is how you control the message.

Media today is full of opinions like you quoted. Conservative media is the same. Not sure why you are trying to act like conservatives don't do the same thing, or maybe you are just more upset at the liberals since they are not your side.

Regardless of the opinion spins, the office of the President should have a message. They should control that message. They should be rational and calmining in their disposition of said message. When they behave in a stable, calming manner, not much spin can occur.

Can you agree that Trump is not getting a calm message across to the public? Can you agree that his tweets, oftentimes contradict his staff at press meetings? Can you agree that him attacking the press is going to make them focus more on him?

Those of you on the right who think he is being bullied need to consider the above. And FWIW many on the left felt that the right bullied President Obama. However, Obama didn't respond via twitter to all the silly inquiries and he didn't let the media get to him like Trump does. Even though conservatives spoke ill of Obama's lack of government experience, he actually had over 10 year of public service when he got into office. So he knew how to create and deliver a message and get it across in a rational way. That is how he especially won a 2nd term. People were comfortable with him at that point. Same with GW Bush BTW who had the chaotic 2000 election and who had to deal with 9/11, his response (before the sh*t hit the fan in Iraq/the ME) was calming to the public so he won in 2004 and got his "mandate" from the public. At this rate, Trump will not get a mandate. He already didn't win the popular vote, something that hadn't occurred in over 40 years. And unfortunately he is not savvy enough to understand that social relationships are a main skill in public service. You have to be "customer focused" as one of my first supervisors told me. Our customer/client was the public, including the media and so we needed to be able to get along well with all of them.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
So you believe the middle class (who always gets to pay the bill) isn't hurting?

Do you know the difference between illegal and legal. No one has a problem with legal immigration. We should know who is coming here. As for Muslims, do you have a problem with a better vetting system?

MSNBC, ABC, CNN, Vox, Huffpost, New York Times, and on and on, ... do I really need to list all the liberal media outlets?

Ah yes, Bernie and Trump both drew big crowds. Hillary not so much but the elites wanted her to win.

I hear Bernie supporters are suing the DNC
I think you just proved my point there

Old 05-26-2017, 10:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
It is a known fact that the majority of the media is liberal and they thought they were going to control the election and they wanted Hillary.

One way to gain unlimited power over the people is to control the media. Dictators always control the media. Silence opposing views.
See above message about controlling the media.

I've dealt with the media before. You have to be very cordial and direct with them and not use too many words. That way, they have few topics to spin on what you say. And regardless of if someone is liberal or conservative, all media spins.

On the blue, there is no one single "media." And they do not care who is in office. I bet they are happy with Trump because everyone is getting more ratings with him being there. Ratings makes money.

Contrary to what you and others may believe, media is a business. They give the public what it wants - a frenzy.

Ironically, most of the people I know who have worked in government understand that media is a necessary evil. However, it is also a game to play. You have to know how to play it well and use it to your advantage.

I think that since you feel people need an enemy, you are making the liberal an enemy when it is not and making it seem like all media is an enemy or in control of government when it is not either. They can only report what the administration says, whether that comes from them directly or through leaks. And the leaks are an indication of what I stated above - that Trump lacks in political experience and being socially adept. If he were treating his people better, there wouldn't be any leaks.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Again, I have had experience with public agencies. I've also worked with/for elected officials.

To control the media you "control the message." You frame the message how you want to frame it. You deliver it in a calming matter. You answer any/all questions with as short an answer as possible and then redirect back to your message.

That is how you control the message.

Media today is full of opinions like you quoted. Conservative media is the same. Not sure why you are trying to act like conservatives don't do the same thing, or maybe you are just more upset at the liberals since they are not your side.

Regardless of the opinion spins, the office of the President should have a message. They should control that message. They should be rational and calmining in their disposition of said message. When they behave in a stable, calming manner, not much spin can occur.

Can you agree that Trump is not getting a calm message across to the public? Can you agree that his tweets, oftentimes contradict his staff at press meetings? Can you agree that him attacking the press is going to make them focus more on him?

Those of you on the right who think he is being bullied need to consider the above. And FWIW many on the left felt that the right bullied President Obama. However, Obama didn't respond via twitter to all the silly inquiries and he didn't let the media get to him like Trump does. Even though conservatives spoke ill of Obama's lack of government experience, he actually had over 10 year of public service when he got into office. So he knew how to create and deliver a message and get it across in a rational way. That is how he especially won a 2nd term. People were comfortable with him at that point. Same with GW Bush BTW who had the chaotic 2000 election and who had to deal with 9/11, his response (before the sh*t hit the fan in Iraq/the ME) was calming to the public so he won in 2004 and got his "mandate" from the public. At this rate, Trump will not get a mandate. He already didn't win the popular vote, something that hadn't occurred in over 40 years. And unfortunately he is not savvy enough to understand that social relationships are a main skill in public service. You have to be "customer focused" as one of my first supervisors told me. Our customer/client was the public, including the media and so we needed to be able to get along well with all of them.
I've said twice ... TWICE, now this is the THIRD time that yes both sides do it but I've also said the the left is out of hand.

ok, gotta go

Old 05-26-2017, 11:18 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm not really taking a side because I'm not pro or anti religion or atheism, but I do notice that many atheists seem to replace God with the government without even realizing it.

I had already thought that statism was a sort of religion, but it really sunk in when I was watching one of Jordan Peterson's lectures or interviews (I've watched so many I forget which it was), and he said it's really funny because so many people who call themselves atheists are subconsciously acting out Christianity. He mentioned Nietzche and his "God is dead" quote, and how people in the west were giving up their traditional beliefs and there were/are two paths to take at that point...become nihilistic and lose all meaning in life, or find something to replace it. A lot of them have substituted God with the State.

And that ties into Marx, as whogo said, because they purposely wanted to remove religion from society because they wanted no competing doctrines. They wanted to create a "new man", and they couldn't (I'd say indoctrinate) people as easily if they still held their religious values.
I don't think most atheists would be familiar with Nietzsche, or his views. The atheists I know (and including myself) don't define themselves by their atheism, and almost never think or talk about atheism. There does seem to be some sort of "movement" out there, but I don't think most atheists are bothered with expounding on what they see as a simple position of non belief.

Marx was just some guy. Not believing in gods, doesn't logically lead to developing an economic and social theory.

Atheism doesn't have a position on religion, while individual atheists can have a position on religion -big difference.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, it would have been better.

He also could have stated he supports an independent investigation into the matter.

That would have put to rest the idea that something would come of it to those in the public like myself and many other independents and moderate liberals who actually were willing to give him a chance.

You will always have those on the left who hates everything about the GOP/conservative candidate. But Trump is not really a conservative IMO, not even a "new" conservative. I consider him more independent than anything. However, he has put a lot of effort into pleasing his hard base supporters instead of appealing to the masses of Americans, who like moderate politics in the nation.

I honestly thought he would switch around and do better and stop all the silliness of the campaign, like all presidents in my lifetime has done. He has not stopped campaigning and that is the main reason why many Americans in the middle are not a fan of his. Many of us did not think that he actually did anything with Russia, if he would stop acting like the media are his enemies and get that message across in a calm, rational manner, less liberals would be going crazy about it to. But at this point, I don't know what to think about him. I do think he is too chaotic for the country and I do think it is a good chance he will be booted. But again, those occurring will not be because of the media directly. He has a hand in what the media reports and his tweets especially don't help his case.
wow, a freeze in your perspective obviously. Hey everyone has their opinion but Trump is president and I want to... hope he can put forth policies that help the American people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies