Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 03:25 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Or, it could be he's dead nuts on the money with his assessment of Trump.

I agree with another New Yorker, someone worth far more $$$ than Trump if that makes a difference, Michael Bloomberg who's said about Trump: "I'm from NY, I know a con-man when I see one".
Unfortunately half of the American voters didn't see it, and look where we are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 03:26 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
It makes many people sick. We are all Letterman.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:27 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
There are two people who probably know Trump better than most.....Letterman and Howard Stern. Both have said very negative things about him, especially recently. We only know the Trump we see on TV, they know him on an everyday level. That is where the real Trump comes out, and it ain't pretty.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:30 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
There are two people who probably know Trump better than most.....Letterman and Howard Stern. Both have said very negative things about him, especially recently. We only know the Trump we see on TV, they know him on an everyday level. That is where the real Trump comes out, and it ain't pretty.
So the Trump we see on TV IS pretty?

Old 05-25-2017, 03:53 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The daughter that went to the game, the butt of his joke, was Palin's 14 year old daughter. Dumb ass didn't fact check before making the joke on air and wasn't even man enough to own up to the mistake in his "apology ". I am not, and never have been, a fan of Palin but this was wrong. Imagine the outrage if he had said such about Sasha.
He didn't fact check? Seriously?

Yeah... how dare a late night comedian not do his research...

Old 05-25-2017, 03:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Letterman is an entertainer and has both a camera and a microphone. He also has, just like everyone else on this forum and in the world, a right to his own opinion of Donald Trump.

I agree with Letterman, but that's beside the point. I'd defend his right to make a character assertion about pretty much anyone. Especially a politician.

He didn't criticize Trump for something Trump cannot control, when you think about it. Those types of criticisms are the ones I have the most trouble with.

Someone cannot help being whatever gender, whatever race, whatever ethnicity, short, tall, what have you.

They can help being a "goon" and I don't think he meant "soulless" in a literal sense, so Trump can help behaving as if he's not got one of those.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The daughter that went to the game, the butt of his joke, was Palin's 14 year old daughter. Dumb ass didn't fact check before making the joke on air and wasn't even man enough to own up to the mistake in his "apology ". I am not, and never have been, a fan of Palin but this was wrong. Imagine the outrage if he had said such about Sasha.
He thought he was joking about Bristol, who was 18 at the time.

Nobody who heard the original joke thought it was about one of the other daughters, except Sarah Palin and her family.

That was a really weird situation, because Bristol had put herself out there, unwed and pregnant (not that there's really anything wrong with that), while her mom pushed this whole shaming deal and abstinence crap.

It was hypocritical, and opened them all up to jokes.

So, really, it's Sarah Palin's fault one of her kids got caught in that crossfire.

But, if you want to go the Sasha Obama route, yes...

If someone wanted to rip the girl to shreds for acting like a typical 18yo at a concert and smoking pot, yes... that would be a problem, because I don't recall Obama being hypocrite about people smoking pot.

If, however, his big platform was the war on drugs and making marijuana illegal and his adult daughter was out smoking pot?

Fair game for jokes.

This is how it works in comedy.

If Sarah Palin had never pretended to be so incredibly moral while her kids were out getting pregnant while unmarried and getting into drunken brawls, I'd say her teen kids were off limits. That's not how it has ever gone with the Palins, though.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:18 PM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Letterman calling anybody a soulless goon is the pot calling the kettle black. Ditto Stephen Colbert, he's another one.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:22 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

does Trump have no soul?
Rather philosophical meaningless question, but I agree that the man is a truly evil, screwed up human being who will be the downfall of this country.

But then I view his supporters the same way. A lot of them seem demonically possessed in their undying allegiance to such a sick, evil man.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Megalomaniac...check

Murderer...check

Robber...check

Authoritarian...check

Just like the previous 44 a-blanks. What's the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies